SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-05-13, 12:08 PM   #1
swampy
Torpedoman

Downloads: 187
Uploads: 0
Default Link contacts?

Im trying LWAMI 3.11 and in the mission Gulf Breakout (FFG mission), I get a very good position on the Kilo on the navmap. The source is Link. However there is no ship, plane or heli in the vicinity.
What is detecting the Kilo?

Last edited by swampy; 02-05-13 at 03:53 PM.
swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-13, 05:52 PM   #2
Blacklight
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 142

Do you have "Show Truth" enabled? That will show where everything is whether you detect it or not. It's more or less used to test scenarios or for cheating.
Old 02-05-13, 06:40 PM   #3
swampy
Torpedoman

Thx for the answer, but no I dont have truth on so it must be something else.
It showed the contact as an surfaced kilo. The kilo was infact running at a very shallow depth.
How far can your own heli detect a shallow submarine?
Old 02-06-13, 05:52 PM   #4
Zander
A-ganger

Downloads: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampy View Post
Im trying LWAMI 3.11 and in the mission Gulf Breakout (FFG mission), I get a very good position on the Kilo on the navmap. The source is Link. However there is no ship, plane or heli in the vicinity.
What is detecting the Kilo?
Good question.I ran that scenario, and had my helos deployed with buoys in the water. I had auto crew on just the towed arary. I was surprized when the first kilo popped up fully categorized on the nav map, while there were two vikings inbound to the kilo location. The vikings took out the first kilo, being a little surprized, I zoomed out the nav map to see that the vikings had been dispatched from the CSG. How they detected the kilos before me from so far away, I can't say, because I had 8 buoys in the water at that time with no hits. That scenario in RA MOD 1.35 is much harder. The towed array is almost totally useless at that water depth.
Zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-13, 07:45 PM   #5
swampy
Torpedoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zander View Post
Good question.I ran that scenario, and had my helos deployed with buoys in the water. I had auto crew on just the towed arary. I was surprized when the first kilo popped up fully categorized on the nav map, while there were two vikings inbound to the kilo location. The vikings took out the first kilo, being a little surprized, I zoomed out the nav map to see that the vikings had been dispatched from the CSG. How they detected the kilos before me from so far away, I can't say, because I had 8 buoys in the water at that time with no hits. That scenario in RA MOD 1.35 is much harder. The towed array is almost totally useless at that water depth.
Do you know of any other FFG missions that work well with RA 1.35? (exept stock missions)
Old 02-07-13, 11:12 PM   #6
Zander
A-ganger

Downloads: 346

There are several FFG misions under the "missions" dir. They are all good.
Actually, the mission that you asked about is also a good mission to play. The thing with the towed array is to watch the towed array depth at the sonar station as you stream the array, and then stop streaming it before it bottoms out. I use autocrew at the sonar and use the helos to deploy buoys, and control the gram windows myself. Have fun. Once you have a target localized, and are able to classify it, place one of your helos over it, and that helo will attack the target without further orders. You must use both helos in cooperation. Realize that there are four kilos out there so the helos will have to be rotated in and out for buoys and weps.
Zander is offline   Reply With Quote