Closed Thread

Old 09-22-18, 04:58 PM   #8281
skidman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
As Brexit stands at the present moment batten down the hatches its going to get ugly next March.
Nah... You will get what you asked for. The UK will immediately transmute to Eden (Well maybe a bit colder, more rainy, and more foggy) and the continent will remain the quarreling, corrupt bunch led around by the nose by the Germans. Am I right?

As an European that used to cross the German-Belgium border twice a day on my way to grammar school and back, lived in the Netherlands for eleven years, and spent a couple of months at Sheffield and Glasgow University I'd like to put it this way:

Though most of my friends and colleagues (from BE, NL, UK, GER, ESP, POR, ITA) and me usually disagree on what the EU stands for, is capable of today and will probably be able to achieve in the future, we not only all agree that Brexit is the most birdbrained, defiant move the Brits have ever made, but also that the UK's conduct of negotiations since then has been nothing but perky, naive cherry picking.

Whenever I came across the canal in the past I met sincere, decent people with a good sense of humor, healthy pragmatism and unerring political instinct on the other side.

What the hell has happened to you?
Old 09-22-18, 05:03 PM   #8282
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Is anyone in the EU commission or higher being elected by the European people?

No. Personnel deals like this are being done by the Godfathers of politics behind locked doors.

Like many other deals and deciisons as well. Voters may be naiuve enozgh to hink their tiny little alibi called "ballot" is worth something. It isn't. Corruption and lobbyism bypass them, its all just theatre play. And most voters have no clue of what and whom they vote for or against anyway.

Die Masse säuft auch noch den Kakao, durch den sie zuvor von den Strippenziehern gezogen wurde.
Old 09-22-18, 05:30 PM   #8283
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidman View Post
President Tusk was elected by the European Council on August 30th 2014. His country, the 3rd Polish republic, was never sliced by anybody. You are welcome.
Poland has had a history, the third republic did not fall down from heaven, and would not be there if the Poland before would not have been sliced up by its two powerful neighbours.

Tusk was not elected in his EU function by the European people

The concept of majoritarianism is increasingly under criticism, and rightfully so.

It has enormous inner contradictions that put its legitimation into serious question, and it has been corrupted by both the cluelessness of the electorate, business and ideological lobbys bypassing the electorate'S election result, and special interest groups hijacking the decision building in govenrments on behalf of ideologists as well as business. The parasitical self-serving of career potlicians and the power-hunger of poltical parties do the rets of fishing the legitimaiton of this mechanism off.

Personally I nowadays just laugh about any legitimation claimed by this mechanism. If a group of people hold a referendum on whether they shall abuse me or plunder me, and by majority say: yes, this self-legitimaition means nothing to me, and I do not put myself under their command. I fight back at them, if I can. Which mostly I can not. In the end we talk about the law of the jungle and the ruling of the stronger mob. Its a form of tyranny and dicatorship, yes.

So the decision-forming mechanism of so called majoritarianism has problems both by its intrinsic selfdescription and nature, and in its formal implementation that gets seriously corrupted. And democracy in the ancient Greeks' understanding has nothing to do with it anyhow, because for the Greeks democracy meant nothing more than a "feudal" elite ruling the polis and amongst themselves they formed their decisions again by majority votes - from which most of the population were strictly excluded, usually 85-95% of the inhabitants of the cities. This feudal elite of 5-15% of the polis' population was called - citizens.

You're welcome.
Old 09-23-18, 10:23 AM   #8284
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Poland has had a history, the third republic did not fall down from heaven, and would not be there if the Poland before would not have been sliced up by its two powerful neighbours.

Tusk was not elected in his EU function by the European people

You're welcome.
Always good to know others have an understanding and knowledge of history and political doctrine.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 09-23-18, 01:17 PM   #8285
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Always good to know others have another understanding and knowledge of history and political doctrine.
Fixed that for you. The text by Skybird is indeed too dumb to comment.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Old 09-23-18, 04:01 PM   #8286
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Labour's annual conference has voted to make it easier for local party members to deselect sitting MPs.

Until now, Labour MPs only faced a reselection contest if 50% of a constituency's local branches and affiliated unions voted for it in a so-called "trigger ballot".
Delegates in Liverpool voted for that threshold to be reduced to 33%.
The deselection campaign is seen by some Labour MPs as an attempt to "purge" critics of Jeremy Corbyn.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45621354

Labour's general election candidates will be interesting to see if any results of how far the cult of Corbyn has gone.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 09-24-18, 05:32 AM   #8287
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
The Poland before WWII was shreddered by Hitler and Stalin. After the war, it was formed by Sowjet ideas, and after the end of the USSR in a way it "invented" itself once again. Without the war, the Poland of before the war would have lived on. Whether until today, we will never know.

What so difficult to understand in that, Smarty.
Old 09-24-18, 08:42 AM   #8288
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Quote:
The Poland before WWII was shreddered by Hitler and Stalin. After the war, it was formed by Sowjet ideas, and after the end of the USSR in a way it "invented" itself once again. Without the war, the Poland of before the war would have lived on. Whether until today, we will never know.

What so difficult to understand in that, Smarty.
Come on gents, nothing wrong with debating and disagreeing but let us not resort to comments of a derogatory nature or name calling.

@Sky....what you have posted regarding Poland is precisely what I was initially alluding to.

Old 09-24-18, 08:47 AM   #8289
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45621354

Labour's general election candidates will be interesting to see if any results of how far the cult of Corbyn has gone.
Wasted a few hours of my life watching the shenanigans at the conference and the John McDonnell speech in particular. Whatever that guy is on I could certainly do with some

Best I don't mention the Brexit vote because that could well turn out to not having a remain option in it apparently

Old 09-24-18, 04:31 PM   #8290
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Wasted a few hours of my life watching the shenanigans at the conference and the John McDonnell speech in particular. Whatever that guy is on I could certainly do with some

Best I don't mention the Brexit vote because that could well turn out to not having a remain option in it apparently

The usual glossy sherbet dip that looks great until you taste it.

I got a split weekend this week allowing me to sit back and watch mad man jezzer's speech Wednesday.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 09-25-18, 03:56 AM   #8291
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
@Sky....what you have posted regarding Poland is precisely what I was initially alluding to.
I know, it was not you i had set my sights on.
Old 09-25-18, 05:23 AM   #8292
STEED
Lucky Jack

Icon12

Was Kire Starmar having a good time on the stage?

Substitute "Yes" for "Conference"...

Old 09-25-18, 05:39 AM   #8293
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
I know, it was not you i had set my sights on.
Oh I was fully aware of that, believe me.

Being the moderator and all that brings expectations and requirements of me....I can hardly infract myself

Old 09-25-18, 05:44 AM   #8294
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
BETH RIGBY'S TWEET

"Nobody is ruling out Remain as an option", says Keir Starmer on matter of People's Vote >> that line wasn’t in the speech script released as he stood up. Has he gone further than agreed with Corbyn et al?
https://news.sky.com/story/live-brex...rence-11508025

Interesting.

Old 09-25-18, 09:38 AM   #8295
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Really!!

Closed Thread

Tags
british, politics