Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-22-19, 06:38 AM   #1
Rwearjr
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 199
Uploads: 0
Default Help, uzo problem TWoS 2.2.9

Stock TWoS 2.2.9, not sure if the issue is related to TWoS, however.....
After completing the entire war a few months ago I began a new campaign about a month ago. All has been well up until now. last night after attacking a troopship convoy, my uzo optics went wonky. Displaying only a white screen. I have had this issue before, and usually a restart of the game solves it. It solved the white screen this time, however.....I am left with a very odd looking uzo. I would post a screenshot, but due to whatever reason my screenshots have never been viewable (attempted to address this is an old post over a year ago to no avail) So, without a screenshot I will attempt to describe what has happened. The oval shape which usually accompanies the UZO view is gone. I can still view from my UZO just fine, and even lock targets, but the view is a large square/ rectangle window with the accompanying range finder marks usually inside the oval of the UZO. As mentioned I have tried restarting the game to no avail, has anyone encountered this before? BTW, I started a new campaign just to see if the problem was corruption of campaign files, no dice. The UZO looks the same there as well. Thank you to any and all replies with help, hoping this doesn't mean uninstall and reinstall the entire game.....
PS Would mention my computer specs, but since I have been playing for over a year with no major issues I didn't see the point.
-Wayne, U-203 Lorient- 21 November 1940
Rwearjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-19, 11:33 AM   #2
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi Rw
Not sure what you mean by stock TWoS?
Stock is a game without mods.
By Stock TWoS do you mean no added mods other than those which come with TWoS?

Can you please post your mod list.
Post #9 JSGME How To Export Your Mod List To A Subsim Post > Pictorial

Check also that your gpu is correctly setup for Silent Hunter games.
Post #239 Changing The Nvidia GPU Settings > Essential Settings > Pictorial

Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-19, 05:55 PM   #3
Rwearjr
Electrician's Mate

TY Berbster you and Vecko and many others here are always helpful
By "Stock TWoS" I mean only TwoS ver 2.2.9, no other added mods. I have chimney smoke, Ship ID, and one of the ship sinking effects added through JSGME, nothing else. The game has ran perfectly for almost two years on my machine with only minor issues usually resolved with restart, or minor tweak. I have an HP "Beats" laptop on which I play SH5. Graphics from their site: AMD Radeon HD 8510G graphics with up to 4224MB total graphics memory"
I can run the game with decent framerate well as long as I dont enable "shadows" My GPU is set up per your post on AMD graphics for SH5. Due to the amount of time I have ran the game without issue I am inclined to think this is some type of bug, or game file corruption. Have you ever seen this issue before?

BTW I really wish I could post a screenshot, me and you discussed this issue back over a year ago and eventually determined that my screenshots were corrupted likely due to enabling the "DPI" setting in admin settings. Other than not being able to take screenshots, the game has really been surprisingly stable. TY for your time and energy,

-Wayne U-203 Lorient
Old 01-22-19, 06:34 PM   #4
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi Rw
You can take screen shots using the Irfanview application.
All you need to do is start Irfanview.
Go to Options.
Select Capture/ Screenshot from the menu.
Use the Browse button to select where you want your pictures to go to.
Press the Start button.
CTRL +F11 takes the picture.

You can do this before loading your game or alternatively pause your game then use the Windows key and start the application.
This second option is useful as you may not wish to take pictures every time you play your game.
Pictures will be saved to the folder you chose in the application and will be in Jpeg format.

Post #237 How To Post A Picture To A Subsim Post Part 1 > Using The Picture Viewer > IrfanView > Pictorial

Post #238 How To Post A Picture To A Subsim Post Part 2 >Using The Uploader > Postimage > Pictorial

Both these applications are free and highly recommended.

Peter

THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-19, 06:45 PM   #5
Rwearjr
Electrician's Mate

I will attempt the irfanview method tonight when I boot up. You recommended irfanview last time we discussed my corrupted pics and I downloaded it then, I didnt realize you were suggesting to actually take the photos form the app. If it takes pics without the corruption issue I will gladly post a screenshot of my strange UZO bug. TY Berbster

Last edited by Rwearjr; 01-22-19 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-23-19, 03:26 AM   #6
Rwearjr
Electrician's Mate

Thank you Berbster for being here as always. After having a thought about it, I just decided to do a clean re-install of the game. After all I have been playing since TWoS 1.1 or so on the same install.....yeah I know Vecko recommended a clean install for 2.2.9 but I didn't do it..... So, I figure either way it's time to clean out the game and reload. Sure do appreciate your quick response and willingness to help -
-Wayne: Somewhere in cybersea until back up and running
Old 01-27-19, 09:40 PM   #7
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

Just putting my sense into it... but you described what sounded like your UZO was missing a “mask” this mask is what gives shape to the UZO bino when looking through it. I know because I was just playing around with my periscope masks.

Basically you are missing a visual layer that simulates the view of the optic. If you mess with mods that change masks, GUI, layers, or other things during a patrol, this can happen more often then not.
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-19, 05:46 PM   #8
Rwearjr
Electrician's Mate

Yes indeed, I was at a loss for words but the "mask" is exactly what went missing. I have had a couple of times in the past instances where the view from the uzo would just be white. Usually restarting the game solves this. When I restarted this time I had a view again, but the "mask" was gone. The view was a square, like a window in a house. I reinstalled the game, and threw away a great career. Can this issue be solved?
-Wayne, U-41 Wilhelmshaven 1941
Old 09-02-20, 07:52 PM   #9
Ashikaga
Commodore

Downloads: 31

This is the screen he is talking about.

I think it has to do with a corrupted gamesave and nothing with mods, or with the video card.

I have this problem also on long missions I play with many saves (no other ships near during saves).

At one stage the GUI side bars go completely white, as does the UZO. Reloading solves the sidebar problem but then the UZO overlay (binoculars) has vanished and you get the screen posted below. I am on the same version of TWoS as he is.

System: 2.33 dual core, Win10 home, Nvidia 720.

Entering base and starting a new mission generally solves it. Nothing to do with cfg files.

OLtzS Ashikaga

Old 09-03-20, 04:21 AM   #10
Storm501
Seaman

Downloads: 81

Here is one idea if nothing else helps.

Maybe the UZO files are corrupted somehow. Not the first time I hear about it.

So you can try to add this mod with JGSME:https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=165408

It replaces UZO mask and generally looks better. I have had no compability issues with it and TWOS.
Storm501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-20, 06:58 PM   #11
Ashikaga
Commodore

Downloads: 31

It is nice but it messed up my freecam sadly.

Also causes problems with rusted glory.

The historic periscope masks do look great.

OLtzS Ashikaga

Last edited by Ashikaga; 09-27-20 at 07:43 PM.
Ashikaga is offline   Reply With Quote