SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-27-18, 09:23 PM   #1
schlechter pfennig
Commander

Downloads: 52
Uploads: 7
Default Help requested figuring out what's up with displacement issues

I've been messing around with adjusting mass, displacement, and draft on all the ships in the WAC 5.1 Sea folder. Up until a couple of days ago everything seemed pretty straightforwards, until I ran across this little interesting issue.

I picked 4 ships at random and gradually adjusted mass, displacement, and draft, then set differing mission parameters regarding wind speed, wind direction and ship speed. I had just started accumulating data and results when I ran across an issue that has stumped me.

I had been using the Rodney, Revenge, Renown and Duke of York as test subjects. Gradually increasing mass and displacement I was watching how they responded to the differing conditions, when during one set of tests the Rodney and Revenge both quickly submerged, settling parallel deeper and deeper, until abruptly exploding and quickly sinking.

Duke of York and Renown would not do so, even when I increased their mass and displacements to 1,000,000 tons. And using Rodney and Revenge files from GWX would not, either.

I cannot figure out what it is about the Rodney and Revenge files in the current WAC 5.1 mod that is causing this issue. I don't know enough as to what other settings interact with the .sim file's mass, displacement and draft values, so I'm hoping wiser, and more knowledgeable, heads can assist me here.
schlechter pfennig is offline   Reply With Quote