Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-17-18, 08:01 PM   #1
Redwake
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0

Default sh5, twos, steam and i

so im eye balling trying to download and get twos set up for my sh5 but its hard to figure out with all the info here. i cant quite follow what im supposed to do let alone do it. if anyone could help that would be nice. i just want simple clear cut straight forward info on going from vanilla sh5 to twos...and i dont want a link that has 6000 other links. easy peasy and straight forward please.
Old 10-17-18, 09:50 PM   #2
kylania
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 117

Welcome to Silent Hunter 5!

You'll want to download the two files:

Instructions: http://www.mediafire.com/file/763e5k...structions.pdf

Install file: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=4861

With this new install file it's super easy, there's just a few gotchas. So you'll download the The Wolves of Steel 2.2_SH5 Expansion Pack_v2.2.8_Full.exe file and run it. It will ask for the install location for your Silent Hunter 5. For Steam change it to wherever your SH5 is, something similar to C:\Steam\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Silent Hunter 5

That'll start to dump the files where they need to go. Eventually you'll get the Steam Conversion part and accept that. Then the Generic File Patcher will start up. I closed that at this point since it's going to error out. Finish the rest of the install.

THEN go back in and start Generic File Patcher. You do this by doubleclicking on the new file "E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Silent Hunter 5\TDW_GenericPatcher_v_1_0_168_0\GenericPatcher.ex e" for example.

That's when you run through step 2 of the instructions which is basically just File, Open, Enter for days, then load the Snapshot.

That should really be it. Make sure you start SH5 default at least once.
Download the big install file. Run through it. Run through the Patcher and you're set. Also remember to save your first campaign once you're in the pen and load that save game before starting to play.

Ask here if you have questions!

kylania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-18, 11:53 PM   #3
Redwake
Electrician's Mate

i had stumbled across the steam comp version on here and followed all the steps but for some reason the game is still vanilla. im doing a fresh install after cleaning out and deleting all relevant files. im really hoping this works. it would be like the 4th time today trying this. but thank you for trying to help.
Old 10-22-18, 07:49 AM   #4
Redwake
Electrician's Mate

Update! Iv got it to install and run properly(as best as I can tell) legit stoked won't lie. Now just comes the learning curve with real nav and the tdc. I can hit ships in harbor but if their moving I miss, it's a pain in the as I won't lie. Trying to watch a few videos to see if I can improve my chances. Happy hunting captains.
Old 10-22-18, 08:23 AM   #5
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwake View Post
Update! Iv got it to install and run properly(as best as I can tell) legit stoked won't lie. Now just comes the learning curve with real nav and the tdc. I can hit ships in harbor but if their moving I miss, it's a pain in the as I won't lie. Trying to watch a few videos to see if I can improve my chances. Happy hunting captains.
So, what was the problem with your installation in the first place? It would be useful to share your experience so we could help others as well...

Also, if you don't want to learn, why do you use real navigation and manual TDC then?
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-18, 08:28 AM   #6
Redwake
Electrician's Mate

Honestly I think it was I didint properly specify the drive to install. Ergo Instead of D:\ filename. I was doing somthing like D\: which would explain why I kept getting the message that sh5 couldn't be found. Wont lie I was beyond tired when trying orginally. But so far the game runs wells tho I'm trying to get the hang of manual tdc but all in good time. And I do want to learn to use the tdc and real nav proper. It's just a bit of a learning curve for me.
Old 10-22-18, 08:36 AM   #7
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwake View Post
Honestly I think it was I didint properly specify the drive to install. Ergo Instead of D:\ filename. I was doing somthing like D\: which would explain why I kept getting the message that sh5 couldn't be found. Wont lie I was beyond tired when trying orginally. But so far the game runs wells tho I'm trying to get the hang of manual tdc but all in good time. And I do want to learn to use the tdc and real nav proper. It's just a bit of a learning curve for me.
OK thanks, I understand now.

Manual TDC can be a bit tricky for a newcomer but real navigation is not so complicated at all. You just activate the script for navigator to mark your positions on the map and command new headings...
Have fun and happy hunting!
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-18, 08:46 AM   #8
Redwake
Electrician's Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
OK thanks, I understand now.

Manual TDC can be a bit tricky for a newcomer but real navigation is not so complicated at all. You just activate the script for navigator to mark your positions on the map and command new headings...
Have fun and happy hunting!
Lol a bit? In regards to real nav I'll wait till the start of the new hour to load the script ergo 1600 to 2000 block and I'm sure to set my clock current time zone but it just seems off. Iv been a few km of land as a reference but mr navigation tells me I'm like 20 km off. Tho that's only happened a few times. But thank you for your time and great mod through and though happy hunting to you as well, iv got to try and catch some sleep.
Old 10-22-18, 09:20 AM   #9
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

Redwake, you don’t have to wait for new hour to start, there are enough scripts for each time slot

Mousing over each script tells you the corresponding info
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-18, 05:01 PM   #10
Redwake
Electrician's Mate

I know I technically don't have to wait but iv noticed starting it at the top of the hour gave it a bit more accuracy.
Old 10-22-18, 10:16 PM   #11
Redwake
Electrician's Mate

And f this noise. I don't think I'll be playing sh5 at the moment.