Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 08-25-07, 07:52 AM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Boeing 737 for FS9

Which version would you prefer, and why: the Pilot in command version by Wilco from 2006, or the 800/900 version by PMDG, from 2004? Both version got very good reviews at Avsim.

http://www.avsim.com/pages/0206/737PIC/737PIC.htm

http://www.avsim.com/pages/0504/pmdg_737ng_review/pmdg_737_review.html

(The PMDG boxed version meanwhile sees the 800/900 delivered as a standalone product, no longer as an upate for the 600/700 version, as the Avsim review states)

Last edited by Skybird; 08-25-07 at 09:28 AM.
Skybird is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-07, 09:55 AM   #2
Chock
Sea Lord

Downloads: 0

The PMDG has the most accurate portrayal of the Boeing's CDU (or flight management comuter as most people erroneously call it). This is also true with regard to the the Level D 767's CDU, which is not quite as accurate as the PMDG 747's CDU. PMDG are real rivet-counters where this sort of thing is concerned, so if you are a realism purist and want the most accurate systems, the PMDG is the one to go for.

On the downside, I've never been impressed with PMDG's software protection security features, which are a pain in the ass, and their online support is not great where this is concerned either (better than it used to be, but still not perfect). I have the boxed CD of the PMDG 737 and the download purchase of the PMDG 747, and I can assure you that I will never buy another download version of a PMDG product ever again because of the problems I had getting the 747 to work and their p*ss-poor customer support, so if they don't put their boxed versions in the shops, it will be Flight 1 and Wilco for me.

Chock
Old 08-25-07, 10:07 AM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

I have the Level-D 767 (and the 767 PIC for FS8 and FS7), and I am a great fan of it, in some ways it is my most favourite airliner ever, in the simulator at least. However, like the PMDG 747, which I also have, both birds are too huge for some of the regional German airports sceneries, so I was searching for something like the A320 or B737. By now I already have decided in favour of the PMDG 800/900. It seems to have the slightly better VC. I do not want to buy the 600/700, too. the Pilot in command interpretation seems to have some minor letdowns, according to some feedback from customers I have stumbled over.

I avoid to buy download whenever possible, as long as a boxed version is available. realAir SF260 and Spitfire being two exceptions.

Thanks!

Last edited by Skybird; 08-25-07 at 10:19 AM.
Skybird is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-07, 10:09 AM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

Strange that there still does not seem to be a decent Airbus package around that could compete with the quality of the PMDG and Level-D Boeings. The only Airbus I ever tried was the PSS A320. Too say I was overwhelmed would be an exaggeration.
Old 08-25-07, 03:47 PM   #5
Chock
Sea Lord

Downloads: 0

I was warned off the PSS Airbus by a few people, but can't say I know it personally. The (heavily patched) Wilco Airbus Volume 1 is (by most people's accounts) the best one around, but it is far from perfect and the systems are somewhat simplified in comparison to the real thing, which is why I have not bought it (been tempted a few times LOL). However, as it does have an FS2 Crew add-on for it, I imagine it's not wildly innaccurate, so I might cave in... Must... resist... temptation.....:rotfl:

As you are probably aware, there are a few Airbus A320 add-ons in the pipeline, including one by PMDG for the A320 (Yay!), which I will almost certainly get, based on their reputation for accurate system modelling.

The FSX Airbus is farcical, I showed it to one of my friends who actually is a designer for Airbus Industrie and he nearly fell off the chair laughing at the rate of climb it has in FSX, slightly sorted in the FSX patch, but still wildly optimistic.

As far as I'm aware, it's the Airbus ECAM emulation and the Alpha Floor Function which is foxing developers and making it hard to simulate, and these are the things I want in an Airbus simulation, as it is a very different kettle of fish to the Boeing ethos.

One of my Airbus repaints (this is for the TTTS Airbus 320 in a test flight paint scheme which shows which bits are composite on the airframe, nice external model, but don't bother seeking this one out, the cockpit is very bad):

Chock
Old 09-02-07, 11:14 PM   #6
Lafferty
Officer

Downloads: 51

thats a differnt color for a plane i have to say.
Lafferty is offline   Reply With Quote