SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-08-10, 05:24 PM   #151
TheBeast
The Old Man

Downloads: 876
Uploads: 23

Default To many Pitch Back Nights

While I was serving in the Military, I spent about 18 months on Aircraft Carrier's. Six Months in the Pacific, Six Months in the Atlantic, Six Months in the Mediterranean. I worked the Flight Deck in all thee environments. During that time I only recall One (1) night in the Mediterranean Sea that was pitch black with poor visibility. There was no Moon, Heavy Cloud cover(no stars), No Wind, Heavy Fog and the water had no plankton bioluminescence. At Sea, plankton bioluminescence really lights up the water surface area "a lot".

With your Environment MOD I get pitch black nights all the time and from my experience pitch black nights are fairly rare.

Also, how do you get an Inversion Layer with winds at 15 knots? Kind of difficult to get heavy fog with high winds... Is this a game limitation?

SHIV-MediaFire | SHV-MediaFire
TheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-10, 07:11 PM   #152
SteelViking
The Old Man

Downloads: 86
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeast View Post
While I was serving in the Military, I spent about 18 months on Aircraft Carrier's. Six Months in the Pacific, Six Months in the Atlantic, Six Months in the Mediterranean. I worked the Flight Deck in all thee environments. During that time I only recall One (1) night in the Mediterranean Sea that was pitch black with poor visibility. There was no Moon, Heavy Cloud cover(no stars), No Wind, Heavy Fog and the water had no plankton bioluminescence. At Sea, plankton bioluminescence really lights up the water surface area "a lot".

With your Environment MOD I get pitch black nights all the time and from my experience pitch black nights are fairly rare.

Also, how do you get an Inversion Layer with winds at 15 knots? Kind of difficult to get heavy fog with high winds... Is this a game limitation?
Like I said, there are only certain conditions under which it would be totally dark, so I basically agree with TheBeast. However, as far as bio-luminescence is concerned, the plankton does not stay at the surface and illuminate the environment unless it is churned up by a large ship, such as an aircraft carrier. That is why you hear of large ships having glowing trails behind them.

Edit: I mean absolutely no disrespect TheBeast by the way.
SteelViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-10, 11:58 PM   #153
TheBeast
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelViking View Post
Like I said, there are only certain conditions under which it would be totally dark, so I basically agree with TheBeast. However, as far as bio-luminescence is concerned, the plankton does not stay at the surface and illuminate the environment unless it is churned up by a large ship, such as an aircraft carrier. That is why you hear of large ships having glowing trails behind them.

Edit: I mean absolutely no disrespect TheBeast by the way.
None taken.

If the sea is chopy with white caps, the bioluminescence is everywhere, not just behind large ships. Anywhere the plankton exists, if the water gets chruned, either by ships or churning wave action. You can see the bioluminescence and when iat sea far away from any other light sources, the bioluminescence is very bright.

Old 05-09-10, 05:06 AM   #154
W_clear
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 111
Uploads: 0

Quote:

Thank you for the information. And BTW how for can you see clearly during night with Heavy Cloud cover?
W_clear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-10, 08:05 AM   #155
W_clear
Ace of the Deep

Medium Cloud Weather begin to do.

Old 05-09-10, 11:35 AM   #156
AOTD_Rhonen
A-ganger

Downloads: 31

Wonderfull Pictures. Can't wait to see it in Game

Member of A.O.T.D

Es gibt zwei Arten von Bugs
1. Programmfehler
2. Fehler zwischen Monitor und Sitzlehne

Die 2. sind die schlimmeren, denn die kann man nicht beheben.
AOTD_Rhonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-10, 04:12 PM   #157
TheBeast
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by W_clear View Post
Thank you for the information. And BTW how for can you see clearly during night with Heavy Cloud cover?
Easily 2000-3000 meters. We always had a Soviet Trawler following and the Trawler was visable almost all the time. So I am basing this on that visual contact.

P.S. I am a smoker, So I spent a lot of my spare time on the port side sponson looking out across the waters. It was just below and aft of my shop(office space) that was just below the flight deck.

Last edited by TheBeast; 05-09-10 at 05:46 PM. Reason: added P.S.
Old 05-09-10, 04:37 PM   #158
tonschk
Admiral

Downloads: 172

Well done W_Clear
Old 05-09-10, 08:01 PM   #159
W_clear
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Easily 2000-3000 meters. We always had a Soviet Trawler following and the Trawler was visable almost all the time. So I am basing this on that visual contact.

P.S. I am a smoker, So I spent a lot of my spare time on the port side sponson looking out across the waters. It was just below and aft of my shop(office space) that was just below the flight deck.
Thanks,
Old 05-10-10, 03:18 PM   #160
PL_Andrev
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 91

Amazing...

But is it possible that the color of the underwater may change (depends on the hour, weather, region) and have this same color as the color of the sea's surface?

On your screens the watercolor at noon have nice blue, at evening - grey (?), at night black, but underwater color is always, always grren, independed from time, wether, sun position...

PL_Andrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-10, 08:22 PM   #161
W_clear
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antar View Post
Amazing...

But is it possible that the color of the underwater may change (depends on the hour, weather, region) and have this same color as the color of the sea's surface?

On your screens the watercolor at noon have nice blue, at evening - grey (?), at night black, but underwater color is always, always grren, independed from time, wether, sun position...
It was not a regional, it's other regions
Old 05-11-10, 02:28 PM   #162
wiedzmin6891
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 16

when men?
wiedzmin6891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-10, 05:38 PM   #163
rsvette12
Lieutenant

Downloads: 132

Well look at it this way if the patch comes out tomorrow, they can have a nice mod for the new version, nice timing.

Rich
rsvette12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-10, 01:49 AM   #164
WilhelmTell
Engineer

Downloads: 38

Wow, awesome pictures here. I really want to see that on my "Feindfahrten".
Old 05-12-10, 03:53 AM   #165
Ragtag
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 163

Any timeframe on when an update compatible with patch 1.2 can be expected?
Great mod
Palit RTX 2080Ti.
Fortron 1000W PSU.
BenQ XR3501R LCD.
Ragtag is offline   Reply With Quote