Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-17-18, 11:52 AM   #1
TakeTheBody
Swabbie

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0
Default When to pull trigger - sight picture / versus gyro 000

Good morning,

I posted this first in tactics thread but here looks like more foot traffic for responses.

I'm playing SH5 WOS. Fantastic experience. You modders are angels.

In past played vanilla SH3 some time ago.

During my SH3 time, I used the fully assisted targeting. Now I'm going full manual thanks to wonderful youtubers providing tutorials. I am in crawl phase of skill development. I have a saved game at a point hunting a lonely freighter on my first mission in game where I'm training up RAOFB / targeting.

One thing I did not see clearly (or failed to detect) in all the youtube demonstrations, is once all firing solution data input to TDC manually, when to pull the trigger. I turn on TDC once data is entered and track target and am not sure where sight picture should be to fire.

Some youtubers mention panning sight picture till the gyro reads 0, then fire. I've tried that with mixed results. My latest shots I fire medium speed torps with my sight picture center mass on target after entering data manually with TDC off (then back on once data entered) without gyro at 0 and achieve hits.

After I load saved game - try it again - rinse and repeat, after many iterations, I found keeping cross-hairs aligned with target after all data entered manually and turning TDC on, I've had more consistent hits.

After entering data manually then moving scope until gyro reads 000, I miss almost routinely. I did achieve one hit using this method but it was probably coincidence / luck.

I am not sure what is a consistent way to place sight picture so I can work towards mastery.

Also, what torp speed considerations as it relates to range. I found my fast torps flared out before reaching my target which was past 5K. With medium torp speed, I hit a few times at ranges up to 6k-8k.

Thank you for any suggestions / insights.
TakeTheBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-18, 01:28 PM   #2
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344
Uploads: 0

This is for SH3, but the same basic approach works with SH5:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...&postcount=461

best to play with map updates on, until you understand the concept.

as to "when" to fire. Ideally, you want the torps to hit at a 90 degree angle. With map updates on, you will see where your torps are heading to hit at 90 degree. With a slow moving freighter, you usually have to lead by about 10 degrees, which means firing at 350 or 010 rather than 000.
Old 04-17-18, 06:07 PM   #3
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

What I mean lock is the red TDC button. Not lock your periscope on the target. Sorry for not being specific. Good luck!
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote