SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-12-17, 08:10 AM   #1
planecrazydale
Gunner

Downloads: 106
Uploads: 0
Default Odd issue adding mods to GWX

Hi all, hoping someone can help me out here.

I have GWX 3 on my steam version of SH3. Via JSGME, I can add any mods downloaded from Subsim.com and they work fine, but if I try to add any mods that I downloaded via Mediafire (such as FM Interior Mod, etc), my game crashes (silent hunter has quit responding) just as the mission is going to start. (the red bar fills up and then ctd)

Those same mods from Mediafire all work fine on my vanilla SH3 (patched to 1.5) It's not until I do a fresh install and add GWX that they won't work.

I'm sure the answer is looking me straight in the face, but I simply can't figure it out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks all,

Dale
planecrazydale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-17, 08:36 AM   #2
planecrazydale
Gunner

Hi Badwolf!

Yes, it seems that any mod from mediafire won't work. (but they all work fine on plain SH3)

I had a thought that maybe my JSGME isn't the most current version and that could be causing a conflict in GWX?

Quote:
Originally Posted by badwolf View Post
Have you tried just enabling one mod on it's own from Mediafire and try running that in a fresh game? That will test confliction issues. Are the mods you are trying to install, compatable to run in GWX 3.
Old 07-12-17, 09:02 AM   #3
badwolf
XO

Downloads: 59

ok
Well it seems to me that your mods are conflicting files with GWX3.
So install the mods one by one on your plain Sh3, write down what mod files conflict.
Then uninstall mods and install GWX3 first.
Add mods and note down conflicting files in 2nd list.
Now you have 2 lists, most likely the problem will be with conflictions in 2nd list that don't appear in 1st list.

But without merging files that conflict even if the game runs ok, you will always lose something as the 1st mod's file that conflicts will be totally overwritten by the 2nd mods file installed.

A very common crash causing file, is the Dial.cfg being overwritten. Where the mod is looking for a dial config but it has been removed by the 2nd mod overwriting. Result it can't find it and crashes.

Last edited by badwolf; 07-12-17 at 09:18 AM.
badwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-17, 09:07 AM   #4
planecrazydale
Gunner

Ok, will give that a try! I am pretty sure they all worked fine with each other in plain SH3, but will double check that.

Thanks Badwolf!

Quote:
ok
Well it seems to me that your mods are conflicting files with GWX3.
So install the mods one by one on your plain Sh3, write down what mods conflict.
Then uninstall mods and install GWX3 first.
Add mods and note down conflicting files in 2nd list.
Now you have 2 lists, most likely the problem will be with conflictions in 2nd list that don't appear in 1st list.
Old 07-12-17, 09:12 AM   #5
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome back!

planecrazydale!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-17, 09:21 AM   #6
planecrazydale
Gunner

Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
planecrazydale!
Old 07-12-17, 09:23 AM   #7
badwolf
XO

The mod conflict in 2nd list that don't appear in 1st list (which still allow game to work) will most likely be the ones conflicting with GWX3 and that is were your problem lies.
Old 07-12-17, 09:32 AM   #8
badwolf
XO

Another way to handle it is to add just GMX3 and test if ok. Then add each mod one by one until crash results. It's a hit or miss solution and many people do it. Then they add mods in a different order to try to get it running. I don't personnally use any of these methods.
Old 07-12-17, 09:59 AM   #9
badwolf
XO

The method I use is to merge the files, resulting in a perfect running game every time.

You start by installing GWX3 only, then test to see if running ok. This is your root installation.

Next you add a mod, note conflicting files and then remove it.
You do the above with each mod.

Then you take the 1st conflicting file and which mods are involved.

Then you investigate as to what is the difference between each. This is done by comparing each mods file to the GWX3 one, as that is you root file.
You then copy the GWX3 file and put all the changes of each mod on that file and save in a folder named something like "XXX Mods Merged". Make sure this is named so it appears at bottom of list and will install last and thus overwrite the conflicts.

You repeat the process for each confliction. Now you have a folder "XXX Mods Merged" with modded merged files. You then put each merged file in folders so as to put them in their correct place.

Now you can put that folder in the JSGME MOD folder and after initiating all mods, finally initiate this one, which will overwrite any conflicts.

Result, no conflictions, every mod has files with correct data and an installation without problems.

If you decide to add another mod, you update the XXX Mods Merged using above methods.

You will require tools to do this. SD3, winmerge etc. You can use winmerge to compare not just text but also other types of files, you may see some garbage, but you get enough information to give you an idea where the conflict is wriiten in the file.
Old 07-12-17, 10:05 AM   #10
planecrazydale
Gunner

Great advice! Thanks for detailing it out! I will try this tonight. Updates tomorrow!

Quote:
The method I use is to merge the files, resulting in a perfect running game every time.

You start by installing GWX3 only, then test to see if running ok. This is your root installation.

Next you add a mod, note conflicting files and then remove it.
You do the above with each mod.

Then you take the 1st conflicting file and which mods are involved.

Then you investigate as to what is the difference between each. This is done by comparing each mods file to the GWX3 one, as that is you root file.
You then copy the GWX3 file and put all the changes of each mod on that file and save in a folder named something like "XXX Mods Merged". Make sure this is named so it appears at bottom of list and will install last and thus overwrite the conflicts.

You repeat the process for each confliction. Now you have a folder "XXX Mods Merged" with modded merged files. You then put each merged file in folders so as to put them in their correct place.

Now you can put that folder in the JSGME MOD folder and after initiating all mods, finally initiate this one, which will overwrite any conflicts.

Result, no conflictions, every mod has files with correct data and an installation without problems.

If you decide to add another mod, you update the XXX Mods Merged using above methods.
Old 07-12-17, 10:34 AM   #11
badwolf
XO

hi planecrazydale
I'll keep in touch when I can and help with any problem you may have.

If you try to add mods that are non compatable with GWX3, you have a lot more work to do, but it is possible.

Last edited by badwolf; 07-12-17 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-12-17, 11:21 AM   #12
badwolf
XO

Here is proof that that methoid works.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...45#post1067145

The merged mods worked perfectly, the strange angles bug turned out to be nothing to do with the mods. I added some new jump-back instructions in my own installation and this caused the sub to roll, probably do to Camera.dat settings.

This will work for any supermod, you would use that as your root installation. GWX3, NYGM or LSH3.

Last edited by badwolf; 07-12-17 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-12-17, 05:04 PM   #13
B_K
Bosun

Downloads: 63

Hi, I also had a problem with FM Interior mod, it is quite heavy and with some other mods, especially environmental mods - there are Crashes. Do you use 4 GB patch or Large Address Aware? They are similar, LAA helped me. Now I can install larger mods too. I would start from that instead of uninstalling everything.
B_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-17, 08:52 AM   #14
planecrazydale
Gunner

Hi B_K!

I am going to try that today! I figured that because I have a high end gamer rig it wasn't necessary, but from everything I've read it sounds like may it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_K View Post
Hi, I also had a problem with FM Interior mod, it is quite heavy and with some other mods, especially environmental mods - there are Crashes. Do you use 4 GB patch or Large Address Aware? They are similar, LAA helped me. Now I can install larger mods too. I would start from that instead of uninstalling everything.
Old 08-31-17, 05:30 PM   #15
J0313
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1755

Bump.
J0313 is offline   Reply With Quote