SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-04-08, 07:36 PM   #136
XLjedi
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 53
Uploads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kweigel
I was able to get SHIII to run on my Dell Laptop which has Vista Home Premium. (By the way, I HATE Vista, and I would take it off and install XP if I could....)
I hate that version of Vista too... it's on my daughter's laptop. Vista Ultimate on the other hand has features I wouldn't give up to go back to XP.

Does no one read my posts? I had just posted one up mentioning that I'm running the D2D version, SF free and sans disk... works fine with GWX and I even have the hi-res tweek running it in 1680x1050 (something that never worked for me using XP btw...). The fact that it also comes pre-patched with 1.4b is a nice bonus. UBI has nothing to do with D2D; they sell all sorts of software other than the UBI titles. You get an account and whatever you buy appears in the account as available for infinite download.

I also don't seem to have all the admin problems others complain about with Vista Home.

Last edited by XLjedi; 05-04-08 at 07:47 PM.
XLjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-08, 09:50 AM   #137
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Downloads: 139
Uploads: 0

Arronblood, if you don't mind me askin', what's the hi-res tweak? Never heard of it. Thanks also for the d2d info! I can finally play SHIII!!!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't been able to play it since the first incarnation of Grey Wolves. So I didn't even visit the forum to save on the therapy, and manic depression it caused. But I figured eventually there would be a way to get it to load and start the game.

So after a long hiatis, I'm back to sinking British convoys!

---------------------

Hylander_1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-08, 01:47 PM   #138
XLjedi
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylander_1314
Arronblood, if you don't mind me askin', what's the hi-res tweak? Never heard of it.
It's this little dll file that sits in the SH3 folder (where ever you have the main SH3 exe file installed). And when you run the SH3 file this little gadget forces directx to display the game in what ever res you tell it. I have mine set for my native desktop 1680x1050. Some of the graphics look a little distorted; non-hires fonts being stretched out and so forth; but the game graphics do look nicer. I've heard it might CTD if you specify a res in the config file that's different from your desktop... I haven't tested it though.

I put the file here: dx9res10.zip

Just read the readme and edit the config file appropriately and you should be set.
Old 05-12-08, 07:07 PM   #139
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Many many thanks!

I was wondering as my monitor is a Hanns G 281D, and the native resokution is 1920 x 1200, and with 2 eVGA 8800 GTS 512 cards behind it, SHIII should run really smooth, at that resolution. The distorted low-res stuff doesn't bug me, as long as the rest of the stuff that really counts is enhanced.

---------------------

Old 05-13-08, 05:18 PM   #140
admrilscotty
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0
Default help finding Download starforce

hi al im having problems fining starforec and downloding it iv got the up date but when i try to install it i dte this msg " no installed protectin drivers found to up date" has eny1 got an idea haw i get round this meny thanks
admrilscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-08, 02:17 PM   #141
JHuschke
XO

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzmoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by COWBOY10
2. Download starforce update tool.
This one: http://www.star-force.com/support/sfdrvup.zip
I downloaded it, and then tried to open it but it said it was invalid.There must be another link? How about someone upload their Starforce onto FF?

Damn Windows Vista & Starforce!!!

Last edited by JHuschke; 05-21-08 at 04:00 PM.
JHuschke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-08, 08:00 PM   #142
XLjedi
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G00BER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzmoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by COWBOY10
2. Download starforce update tool.
This one: http://www.star-force.com/support/sfdrvup.zip
I downloaded it, and then tried to open it but it said it was invalid.There must be another link? How about someone upload their Starforce onto FF?

Damn Windows Vista & Starforce!!!
No... just, "Damn Starforce"

Get the version of SH3 without starforce and don't buy anything with that malware attached to it in the future.
Old 06-06-08, 12:25 PM   #143
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

For those who know how to tweak your OS, or want to give it a shot, I found this link:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2110606,00.asp

It can help those with nominal systems get a little horsepower out of it.

---------------------

Old 07-03-08, 07:06 PM   #144
barkhorn45
Sailor man

Downloads: 42

i would like to dd the game from d2d but i'm using a laptop and their specs under support it states it does'nt support laptops what does this mean?it won't run on a laptop?
barkhorn45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-08, 07:43 AM   #145
Nausal
Swabbie

Downloads: 40
Default Vista 64bit

Okay after reading every part of this and trying everything thats told in this topic and northing worked am i crying been playing SH3 since it came out loved it and still dose but it seems to i have no choice of ever playing it again since i use Vista 64bit for my work and i can't really afford getting a new computer or downloading it.
Soo now i ask dose anyone know an thing maybe just an tiny thing that can make SH3 work on Vista 64bit OS without spending anymore money

Thanks on advance
Nausal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-08, 12:01 PM   #146
barkhorn45
Sailor man

Downloads: 42

i d/l from d2d and installed on vista home premium on my laptop and it works without changing compatability or anything.now if i could just figure out how to install new missions the available ones are lame.
barkhorn45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-08, 12:20 PM   #147
GSpector
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausal
Okay after reading every part of this and trying everything thats told in this topic and northing worked am i crying been playing SH3 since it came out loved it and still dose but it seems to i have no choice of ever playing it again since i use Vista 64bit for my work and i can't really afford getting a new computer or downloading it.
Soo now i ask dose anyone know an thing maybe just an tiny thing that can make SH3 work on Vista 64bit OS without spending anymore money

Thanks on advance
Ok, since there are 4 versions of VI$TA, is it possible that the version you have is just not designed to play Sims with high Graphic requirements? :hmm:

You said you use it for work. Well not many office environments require the same specs as the average gamer at home. What version of Vi$ta are you actually using? That could be your problem.
Old 07-05-08, 12:33 PM   #148
Nausal
Swabbie

Default vista 64

Windows Vista Home Premium
Service park 1
64 bit system

Also computer specs here

Processor: Q9450 4x2.66 GHz ( 1333 MHz )
Ram: 4x Corsair XMS2 Dominator 2GB 1066 MHZ
Graphics: 2x 8800GTS 512MB SLI
Hardisk:1TB

Begging for help also this is a computer i use for modding in World of warcraft and makking videos not really a "Work" computer but i need all the rams i can get as i run Wow open in 4 windows when i play to quad play
Old 07-07-08, 06:21 AM   #149
Nausal
Swabbie

Default vista 64

ok i have contacted Starforce and they said its cos i get 32bit version from disk and i need 64bit version but starforce dosent give out single game programes so i wos told i needed to contact ubi for that ... wich said i needed to contact Starforce, man this is getting hopeless
Old 07-11-08, 06:04 PM   #150
ssanchez
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 2

Hello guys...

I've been reading how to install SHIII on Vista... and looks like most of you have it running now...

I dunno what Im doing wrong, but its just not working for me.

First off...

My system is Vista 64, with 4 GB Ram and a ATI 2600HD VidCard. I have the DVD US Version

Now... I installed SHIII to the Program Files (x86) folder first. I got an error that reads:

"Protection system, This application can only be launched from Windows 95, 98, 2000, XP only."

I followed the recommendations in this thread and I ran as Admin and in XP Compatibility mode. No joy.

Then... I uninstalled the whole thing and installed in my user folder in a GAMES subfolder. Still the same...

Please help... I miss my game

Last edited by ssanchez; 07-11-08 at 06:41 PM.
ssanchez is offline   Reply With Quote