SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > Sub Command, Fleet Command, & Jane's 688(I)
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-03-10, 02:38 PM   #1
operative
Nub

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default Sub Command questions!

Hello there. I have a few questions about Sub Command.

First, how can you set up a basic 2-player multiplayer game? I direct connected 2 computers with a TCP/IP cable but the connections screen only shows 1 connection option when the manual says it should show 2. And I can't get the connection to work.

Second, how can I place icebergs in Mission Editor?

Third, I have a speech engine installed on my Vista comp., but SubCom won't let me turn voice command on!
operative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-10, 03:12 PM   #2
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Connecting 2 computers together used to require a special cable that had the wires crossed. With modern networkinterfaces they automaticaly adjust the connections internally. So that depends on how old your equipment is. It needs to support auto-mdx to make the connection automatically:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium_dependent_interface

Windows by default assumes there is another device on the network that deals out IP adresses, that protocol is called DHCP. Since neither of your 2 computers does this, and you didn't say there was a router device on the network, you have to define those adresses yourself.

This link explains how you can find those settings (you can ignore steps 5,6 and 7):

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...CP-IP-settings

Set on PC-1 the IP adresses (for that particular networkconnection) to

IP: 192.168.2.1 (I chose "2" in the 3rd place because your internet connection might get into conflict)
Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: (leave empty, this 2 computer network is isolated, there is no "doorway to outside" )

You can leave the IP-adresses for the DNS server on automatic. It won't find any dns server because there is none. Anyway you won't need one either for this.

Set on PC-2 the IP adresses (for that particular networkconnection) to

IP: 192.168.2.2 (I chose "2" in the 3rd place because your internet connection might get into conflict)
Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: (leave empty, this 2 computer network is isolated, there is no "doorway to outside" )

You can leave the IP-adresses for the DNS server on automatic. It won't find any dns server because there is none. Anyway you won't need one either for this.

If you then run on each computer a dos-command screen (typ in the startmenu search field: cmd , then click on the link that is found )

in the dos-command window on PC-1 type: ping 192.168.2.2 (followed by the enter-key)

in the dos-command window on PC-2 type: ping 192.168.2.1 (followed by the enter-key)

If all goes wel the text in those windows should say that 4 packets are succesfully returned, like this:
Code:
C:\Windows\System32>ping 192.168.2.1

Pinging 192.168.2.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 2ms, Average = 1ms

C:\Windows\System32>
If not then please explain what it does say.

If you can find yourself a cheap 4 port router device to connect your computers with then the above can be avoided, and make everything alot simpler.

Last edited by Pisces; 09-03-10 at 04:54 PM.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-11, 09:26 AM   #3
James.Smith
Nub

Downloads: 0
Intro and question

Hello
My name is James and I have started out playing Sub Command,Arctic Hide and Seek i thought would give me lots of practice with Sonar.Well its certainly not easyand i have a few questions i would like to ask someone.
First .. Can i clear the saved mission page? i have tried to ..and looked through the instructions but there is nothing so what i have been doing is saving over the existing saved mission but is that the thing to do??.
Second question, Does it matter how long it takes to complete a mission like this (Arctic Hide and Seek) as i need to be very careful not to run into the ice ..i had a quick look at the 3d window the other day and saw the bottom of an iceburg in front of the Los Angles Sub whic was also in the mission.
Anyway I like the game very much .And i have lots of obsevations and questions to ask in the future.
Many thanks
James
James.Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-11, 09:56 PM   #4
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6

Hi James to delete saved games you need to dlete the file manually from your scenarios folder. Look for the saved file name. If I'm not wrong they also have different file type than scenario.
Old 09-18-13, 12:46 AM   #5
Berserker
Aggressive skipper

Downloads: 2166
Default When

I am in the first mission,i have detected the akula,been detected by the friendlies,and have made sim attacks on the friendlies...Its been 23 hrs...When will the exercise end???

Last edited by Berserker; 09-18-13 at 01:03 AM.
Berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-13, 01:16 PM   #6
Malefactor
Loader

Downloads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta6 View Post
I am in the first mission,i have detected the akula,been detected by the friendlies,and have made sim attacks on the friendlies...Its been 23 hrs...When will the exercise end???
I seem to recall the main objective of the first mission was to approach each friendly at periscope depth within a specified distance. Within 4 Nautical miles , but no closer than 2 Nautical miles, or something like that. A radio message confirming each successful approach should follow.

Did you receive radio messages confirming the success of your approach on each friendly?
Malefactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-13, 06:31 PM   #7
Berserker
Aggressive skipper

Downloads: 2166

Yes..But a new problem has popped up...My computer died,i now have a hp pavilion 500 pc desktop with windows 8...Now it crashes on startup..How can I make it work in windows 8??
Old 09-19-13, 09:16 AM   #8
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

I'm afraid there isn't a way. So far nobody here has been able to get either SC or DW to run in Windows 8.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-17, 10:19 PM   #9
Countz
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 23

Sub Comm does work on win 10 64bit. Use the SCU file update, and set for compat Windows XP 2nd.
Countz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-17, 01:13 AM   #10
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Countz!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-17, 05:18 AM   #11
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > Countz
Subsim <> How To Donate <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote