SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-29-14, 12:26 PM   #16
UKönig
Captain

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

No offense taken, I have pretty thick skin...

But I do have a question still, then. About the dynamic campaign engine.

I played the game a few times over the years, different captain names. This one at the moment is "Johan König", named after "John Koenig", the commander of "Moonbase Alpha", of Space:1999. And dammed if the BdU did not give me U99 right out of the gate. Fated. Too bad for Kretschmer...
Anyways, the first few campaigns I did, my tonnage sunk was fairly modest. I was still learning how the AI reacted, and the game mechanics in general, vs, what I had studied in history, and how (or if) it applied to the game.
On more or less every occasion, we got R/T about important world events and/or war news (I confess to a twinge of sadness when I hear that the French ports are no longer available as bases...), but by the by the war is over the first week of May, 1945.
Except this last campaign, something seemed to have gone wrong...
I started in Oct (I wanted Jan) of 1940, U99, stationed in france.
Whatever I did not sink on patrol, or find crossing the ocean, I sank in harbour. Iceland, Sydney, NY, Key West, Curcao, Capetown SA, (never found anything but one corvette at Freetown), even boldly sailing up the Irish sea, the hunting grounds for uboats in ww1. By the time the war should have ended, it didn't. I had transferred to the 11th fleet in Norway and had clocked up 1,339,516 tons by the time May 8th rolled around. Trying to earn enough renown for the type XXI, (failed) We lost Bergen, my base changed from norway, yet, when I started the next mission, in June, we still departed from Bergen. The Ubase was not on the map officially.
Rather than explore what may have been a broken or malfunctioning game, I started a new campaign.
So I guess my question is, Was that normal? Was it not broken and I could have continued? It just didn't seem right...

Last edited by UKönig; 04-29-14 at 12:29 PM. Reason: forgotten bit of info
UKönig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbies, sh3, tactics, tips