SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-13-10, 06:27 PM   #1
Badger Finn
Watch Officer

Downloads: 30
Uploads: 0
Default [TEC] Antilag d3d file better FPS!

Something I found over at SH5 in one of threads. It works for me in SH3. Been using for the past week or so on heavily modded SH3.

I think its a keygety's file? Dont remember the thread...

Have not been able to run the water streams/exhaust mod without clipping/stutter/stagger. I can now!

Its also improved dense smoke frame rates etc

Pop it in your main SH folder, im not using any hi-res mods so it overwrote nothing if it does - you know the rule - make a *back up* of original

Give it a go you never know!

Click on the sig should get you there.

Last edited by Badger Finn; 08-13-10 at 06:38 PM.
Badger Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-10, 06:46 AM   #2
clouclou
Gunner

Downloads: 244

Interesting, but with risk ?!!!!
clouclou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-10, 12:02 PM   #3
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Thanks for that. It might help with my recent problems.
Old 08-14-10, 07:16 PM   #4
Badger Finn
Watch Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clouclou View Post
Interesting, but with risk ?!!!!
All good! Just make a note of what the file is and if it overwrites any others!

Im not using any high res/widescreen mods which is what i mean by hi-res -sorry for that - so not sure if it may overwrite any .dll those mods may put in

Im running a ati mobility radon hd 2600 on laptop with vista with all the settings on default and believe me I have been trying to run that water stream mod for about 2-3 years adjusting that catalyst settings menu

If there are no change just delete it out of your main game folder - no harm done
Old 08-14-10, 07:27 PM   #5
Badger Finn
Watch Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Thanks for that. It might help with my recent problems.
Yes read about those Steve

It may help it certianly smoothed out the graphics for myself no doubt about it!

Only ever experienced the diving doofus problem a couple of times years ago

I double save mate -

1/ save game option - then hit continue

2/ drop back to game for 10secs then save and exit option all on 1xtime

reload on the save game and let it delete out the save below - the standard on the surface dont be to close to ships and land rule thumb as well however I have broken those and still the game stil seems to load up ok - strange how that works...

I have had hardly any ctd from reload saves and Ive done a fair amount modding in crazy places on saves at sea all good as long there not cfg files...and you know what your doing.

Weather - again ive got lucky with that although GWX 3 really sorted that out - remember though if you *savegame* all the time the weather it seems to start a new count from the save so i try to be mindful to save if possible on a change of weather that way storms and fine days are like stretched to about 5-6 patrol days sometimes it works fine oither times ahh stuck in the soup for 12 days or the endless summer still its better than the magic meal and patch the pirate at SH5 for immersion...I can live with it!

lmao saw some yellow squares the other day - thought wolf pack - then I realised - staring at monitor to long modding this damn game to work like AoD! 4-years and still going still im into 1940 now - cool!

Old 08-15-10, 03:22 AM   #6
clouclou
Gunner

Downloads: 244

What worries me is that we already have a d3d9.dll in Windows 7 System32! Duplicate???
clouclou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-10, 08:56 AM   #7
irish1958
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 320
Uploads: 11

For those who are worried about placing the files in your game directory, you can use JSGME to place the files for you.
If you set up the mod as follows and then place it in your JSGME mod folder, you can then activate and deactivate the mod via JSGME
Structure: Antilag folder/3 mod files
DO NOT include a data folder.
When you activate the mod the files will be placed in your main directory and become active. If you don't want it, deactivate via JSGME.
Old 08-15-10, 10:06 AM   #8
Seeadler
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by clouclou View Post
What worries me is that we already have a d3d9.dll in Windows 7 System32! Duplicate?
The d3d9.dll in the System32 folder is the original Microsoft d3d9.dll and should _never_ be overwritten!

The d3d9.dll of this fix is a Proxy.dll and must always be placed in the folder of the Exe which use this fix.

A proxy DLL exploits a peculiarity of the Windows OS. An EXE looks at first in his own folder for dll's to load and afterwards in the System32 folder.
If now a d3d9.dll is present in the EXE's folder, this dll will be load and not the original dll from the System32 folder.

This new dll takes up towards the commands from the Exe and passes them to the system instead of the original dll. Some of these commands can now make other matters, which are not foreseen in the original DLL, before forwarding the command to the system.

This d3d9.dll here for example set the number of pre-rendered images. The one of the widescreen fix override the resolution. Therefore mods with a d3d9.dll are not compatible to each other until someone builds all the extended functions in only one d3d3 proxy dll
Old 08-15-10, 03:48 PM   #9
arnahud2
Frogman

Downloads: 724

Ok, after a few hours testing this moded D3D9.dll, on a laptop fitted with a core duo 2.16 ghz, 3GB ram and a 9200M GS nVidia graphic card (with its owns 512 mo of ram), i could affirm that Badger's Finn D3D9.Dll works fine.

How ?

- Without any mods except GWX3 basis, SH3 FPS is so high that i can set nvidia parameters at nearly max (anti aliasing set to 4, 8XQ or 8X are not really necessary).

- With a lot of "big" graphics mods, such as "FM interior" (with his beautiful diesel room), many of Ace's mods, Sub pens etc, etc and my screen resolution always set to 1280X800 but with none any of antialias : FPS is dramastically lowered, especially with the huge black smoke of an attacked oil tanker (FPS below 8...) or if you navigate in port, with pens...

BUT with Badger Finn's d3D9.dll, there is a significant improvement : same settings as just above, except antialias set to 2X, SH3's FPS drop to 14 with the same attacked oil tanker, or in port (10-12 fps, that's now playable !).

GREAT WORK, Badger

Many, many, many thanks.

@Badger Finn : Is your moded D3D9.dll applicable to others 3D games, like IL2-1946, SH4, DCS Black Shark, ... ?

arnahud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-10, 07:45 PM   #10
Badger Finn
Watch Officer

Sweet!

Its a kegety's file from a thread over at SH5! So its just a badger import...

Cheers Seedler always good to hear what the long term modders have to say about these things!

Old 08-15-10, 07:49 PM   #11
Badger Finn
Watch Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnahud2 View Post
@Badger Finn : Is your moded D3D9.dll applicable to others 3D games, like IL2-1946, SH4, DCS Black Shark, ... ?
Yes apparently it is for IL2 for sure and probably SH4 since SH4 can not be to different from SH3??

Give it go hell if it dont work just a case of deleting it out of the main game folder
Old 08-16-10, 10:33 PM   #12
arnahud2
Frogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Finn View Post
Yes apparently it is for IL2 for sure and probably SH4 since SH4 can not be to different from SH3??

Give it go hell if it dont work just a case of deleting it out of the main game folder
Hi, as i want to try this excellent d3d9.dll game-by-game, i choose to test it with SH4. It seems that this dll has no effects ...

Could anyone confirm ?

(i can't remeber : did SH3 and SH4 been made by the same "crew" ?)

Regards

Old 08-17-10, 12:29 PM   #13
irish1958
Ocean Warrior

Confirm? No; I have used it for both games and it works fine for both on my computer. I have uninstalled SH5 so I can't make any comments concerning that game.
Old 08-17-10, 02:16 PM   #14
arnahud2
Frogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish1958 View Post
Confirm? No; I have used it for both games and it works fine for both on my computer. I have uninstalled SH5 so I can't make any comments concerning that game.
Ok, thanks, but...

I put d3D9.dll and antilag.cfg in the same folder as SH4.exe (d:\silent hunter 4 wolves of the pacific) as it is said in a previous post in this thread, and like the same way i've done with SH3. But without any improvements in FPS with SH4...

So, i don't understand where's the trouble

Could anyone here help me, pleaaaaaaaaase ?

Old 08-17-10, 03:59 PM   #15
irish1958
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnahud2 View Post
Ok, thanks, but...

I put d3D9.dll and antilag.cfg in the same folder as SH4.exe (d:\silent hunter 4 wolves of the pacific) as it is said in a previous post in this thread, and like the same way i've done with SH3. But without any improvements in FPS with SH4...

So, i don't understand where's the trouble

Could anyone here help me, pleaaaaaaaaase ?
?corrupt file; try downloading it again and reinstall it. Have you changed the SH4.exe file in any way?
It works fine for me; a steady 35fps.