SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-05-18, 02:37 PM   #1
Stevepine
Planesman

Downloads: 172
Uploads: 0
Default SH5 + Wolves of Steel - Significant Stuttering and FPS Problems . Is it just me?

Hi there everyone.

First, I should say thanks to the Berbster and to Cyborg for the quick and detailed replies and for the help you have both already given me. The community here was always great.

So first, here is my system:

Its a new PC, so..

7th Generation i7 processor
GTX 1080 ti (11 gb)
16 gb of RAM
VRAM : 12 GB

So I should have no problems with SH5 right? But after installing it from Uplay and then installing the latest Wolves of Steel (2.2) and after choosing the settings I wanted from the Generic Patcher.... I thought I would load the game and see how it ran.

The funny thing is that I get quite large FPS drops as I walk around inside the boat. (Like from 60 fps right down to 30 fps) This happens most of all when I approach the conning tower ladder in the control room and when climbing up and down into the boat.

It's strange because otherwise, WoS seems to have installed correctly.

I used to have this problem when I had my old PC - when I tried to run mods which re-textured the interior of the Boat.

but with my new computer, I don't think this is normal?

Has anyone experienced similar things... or is this just me?

(I'm currenly trying to give SH5 yet another fresh install and see what happens.)

Last edited by Stevepine; 03-05-18 at 03:06 PM.
Stevepine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-18, 02:56 PM   #2
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Hi Stevepine,
your system is as good as it can possibly, also you surely have the best possible GPU.
With my GTX 960, I also get FPS drops when I enter a sub section for the first time, then it goes to cache and loads immediately afterwards. I usually just go in to the sonar room and the other section after a fresh load of the game, and that's it. When I return in these sections I don't get any delay anymore.

How a game uses the cache is different everytime. Usually your Nvidia card writes cache files on your computer to be able to load things faster next time you start the same program (and Windows). This is important and activated by default. But I think this is not done with SH5 otherwise these 'delays' wouldn't happen, I think it's a question of how the game was coded, and if possible, to change that would require changing a setting for your GPU.
But which one ?? No idea...You could use Nvidia Inspector, and try one of the numerous tweakings for your GPU to apply for SH5, but I sincerly, I don't have the patience to do it...It's a lot of try-and-error and a big chance to get things worse rather than better...

Last edited by XenonSurf; 03-05-18 at 03:17 PM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-18, 03:25 PM   #3
Stevepine
Planesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
Hi Stevepine,
your system is as good as it can possibly, also you surely have the best possible GPU.
With my GTX 960, I also get FPS drops when I enter a sub section for the first time, then it goes to cache and loads immediately afterwards. I usually just go in to the sonar room and the other section after a fresh load of the game, and that's it. When I return in these sections I don't get any delay anymore.

How a game uses the cache is different everytime. Usually your Nvidia card writes cache files on your computer to be able to load things faster next time you start the same program (and Windows). This is important and activated by default. But I think this is not done with SH5 otherwise these 'delays' wouldn't happen, I think it's a question of how the game was coded, and if possible, to change that would require changing a setting for your GPU.
But which one ?? No idea...You could use Nvidia Inspector, and try one of the numerous tweakings for your GPU to apply for SH5, but I sincerly, I don't have the patience to do it...It's a lot of try-and-error and a big chance to get things worse rather than better...

Ahh thanks for your reply. Interesting. Yeah, It seems its not a problem when i run unmodded SH5 ... only when trying to use Wolves of Steel , I will keep trying to find out what I can. Thanks again.
Old 03-05-18, 03:33 PM   #4
mikaelanderlund
Captain

Downloads: 267

Same problem here. I have the best computer you can imagine but still problem with stuttering. SH5 is a beast and you will never win over it. However, try activate Vsync "fast", maximum pre-rendered frams "1" or try download "antilag" set RenderAheadLimit=1-2 FPSlimit=35-60

Mikael
mikaelanderlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-18, 07:01 PM   #5
Stevepine
Planesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikaelanderlund View Post
Same problem here. I have the best computer you can imagine but still problem with stuttering. SH5 is a beast and you will never win over it. However, try activate Vsync "fast", maximum pre-rendered frams "1" or try download "antilag" set RenderAheadLimit=1-2 FPSlimit=35-60

Mikael
So actually, it seems that XenonSurf was right in his idea. Once I walked around every section of the boat... it was ok and became a lot smoother. Seems that it' s the cache.