SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-24-10, 07:30 AM   #31
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
You were able to figure out how to get the waypoint information and collect them all and assemble into a navigation file? Excellent
Yes, after some head scratching I found the coordinates and nav files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abd_von_Mumit View Post
Are you making fun of him? Of course he was!

Trevally: how do you solve the problem of the start point for Kiel in?
, and

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
nope, not making fun of him at all. I made it easy to use the new Automation command but didn't exactly tell how to gather all the waypoint data and assemble into a file. I was pretty sure you all could figure it out

The start point for Kiel in can be defined by a waypoint no?
Yes - automation starts when boat is just off the harbour of Cuxhaven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abd_von_Mumit View Post
Seems so (didn't test), but it seems to me you have to be cautious and warn users - so that they don't crash on land somewhere on route to first auto-waypoint. I was trying to find a 100% working solution for it, but as for now failed.
There will be no crashing into land with this one

With the message box, I can pop up instructions ie- click travel mode etc.
This will prevent TC drop due to shallow water and so one.
Also when passing an area where shipping may be met, I can flash up warnings where you can adjust speed to avoid traffic.
Old 09-24-10, 07:38 AM   #32
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevally. View Post
With the message box, I can pop up instructions ie- click travel mode etc.
This will prevent TC drop due to shallow water and so one.
Also when passing an area where shipping may be met, I can flash up warnings where you can adjust speed to avoid traffic.
do I need to include a parameter in the Navigate_from_file's reading of the navigation file that specifies whether travel mode needs to be engaged or not? This can be done automatically.

I'm curious as to how you are flashing up warnings during the navigation from file? I didn't code that into the command. It's a great idea though that I can add

As of now you've given me 2 great ideas to add to the Navigate_from_file command: automatic enabling/disabling travel mode and giving a message with each waypoint.

Anything else that you see would be fitting to add?

EDIT:

just checked in game and travel mode isn't a command - it's hard coded somewhere in the .exe file So can't do automatic travel mode

I did add code for messages though

Last edited by TheDarkWraith; 09-24-10 at 07:52 AM.
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-10, 08:05 AM   #33
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Quote:
I did add code for messages though
Ok thanks TDW, I had spent most of last night jotting down all the info I need to write the automations and just assumed that I could use "print message". So thanks for adding that.

Travel mode being manually clickable should be ok.

Quote:
Anything else that you see would be fitting to add?
Yes please- if you could add to the TC para ie- 9999 like in the advanced knuckles the user can adjust thier own TC rate and then each waypoint will retain that info.

Also a quick question if I may-
When u-boat reaches waypoint, this is triggered by the bow. When navigator call a coordinate, is this from the bow or from centre of boat?
If this is from centre of boat I may need to re-do some of the trickier maneuvers.

I am at work at the mo and am unable to test. Last night after hours of recording coordinates, I ran out of coffee come testing time
Old 09-24-10, 08:12 AM   #34
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Yes please- if you could add to the TC para ie- 9999 like in the advanced knuckles the user can adjust thier own TC rate and then each waypoint will retain that info.

Also a quick question if I may-
When u-boat reaches waypoint, this is triggered by the bow. When navigator call a coordinate, is this from the bow or from centre of boat?
If this is from centre of boat I may need to re-do some of the trickier maneuvers.

I am at work at the mo and am unable to test. Last night after hours of recording coordinates, I ran out of coffee come testing time
I believe from my findings that the navigator calls out the coordinates from the center of the uboat. If you look on the maps when you enable center on sub you'll see that the sub is centered on it's center in the graphic. The only reason you see that the uboat appears to trigger the waypoint from the bow is that I set a distance from waypoint that the sub has to switch to the next waypoint. That distance is <=50m.

Good point about keeping the TC level. I'll add necessary code for this.

Should I include some kind of header where the user can define a name for this navigation file and some info on it and have it displayed in the messagebox when it's 'played'?
Old 09-24-10, 08:28 AM   #35
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Quote:
I believe from my findings that the navigator calls out the coordinates from the center of the uboat. If you look on the maps when you enable center on sub you'll see that the sub is centered on it's center in the graphic. The only reason you see that the uboat appears to trigger the waypoint from the bow is that I set a distance from waypoint that the sub has to switch to the next waypoint. That distance is <=50m.
Ah ok thanks - When recording the kiel script I did have this in the back of my mind and did make allowances if this was the case so it should still be ok.

Quote:
Good point about keeping the TC level. I'll add necessary code for this.
Thanks

Quote:
Should I include some kind of header where the user can define a name for this navigation file and some info on it and have it displayed in the messagebox when it's 'played'?
Sorry im not sure what you mean here:

Something like "Kiel Canal blah blah blah" and that remains in message window during whole script?
Old 09-24-10, 08:40 AM   #36
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Something like "Kiel Canal blah blah blah" and that remains in message window during whole script?
boy I really botched the Navigate_from_file command. I gave no way to specify use current TC level, speed, or depth. That has been fixed

What I mean by header is something like the Description part for Automation scripts. Except this would be for Navigation 'scripts'. When the user selects a certain navigation script I could have the code display the text defined in the file for that navigation script. For example you made a navigation script to navigate Kiel canal. There could be a description part that when the user activates this script via automation it displays this description. You could have the description read: Navigate Kiel canal. This would be displayed in the messagebox each time the navigation script is started.
Old 09-24-10, 08:52 AM   #37
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Quote:
What I mean by header is something like the Description part for Automation scripts. Except this would be for Navigation 'scripts'. When the user selects a certain navigation script I could have the code display the text defined in the file for that navigation script. For example you made a navigation script to navigate Kiel canal. There could be a description part that when the user activates this script via automation it displays this description. You could have the description read: Navigate Kiel canal. This would be displayed in the messagebox each time the navigation script is started.
Yes please that would be good. The description when selecting scripts from nav file wouls enable me to instruct users that ie:-

Kiel Canal Inbound - this script must be started within a 20km radius of Cuxhaven Harbour.

or

Bergen Harbour Pilot - This scrip will pilot your boat out of the harbour and through the fjord to open sea. If you want to stop at any time press pause or stop.
Old 09-24-10, 09:22 AM   #38
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

got another idea for the Navigate_from_file command. I can add a precondition header that you can use to specify the precondition. The precondition would specify the radius from a given waypoint that you have to be in in order for the script to activate.
Old 09-24-10, 09:31 AM   #39
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Quote:
got another idea for the Navigate_from_file command. I can add a precondition header that you can use to specify the precondition. The precondition would specify the radius from a given waypoint that you have to be in in order for the script to activate.
Great idea, this will for sure rule out any errors at start of some nav scripts.

Also would it somehow be possible say-

I am passing heavy traffic at kiel Canal and unless I adjust course I will hit a ship. User can right full rudder manually(script pauses) until ship has passed and then click return to course (script restarts).
Old 09-24-10, 10:04 AM   #40
Abd_von_Mumit
The Old Man

Downloads: 46
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Great idea, this will for sure rule out any errors at start of some nav scripts.

I am passing heavy traffic at kiel Canal and unless I adjust course I will hit a ship. User can right full rudder manually(script pauses) until ship has passed and then click return to course (script restarts).
Most collisions can be easily avoided by going with very low speed.

I noticed that even vessels that were previously stuck (for example merchants burning in the middle of Kiel gates) suddenly revive and merrily move out of your way as soon as you come close enough (a few hundred meters). Of course for a burning merchant this may be a slow process, so if your speed is too great, you will still crash with it. However I found that Slow bell speed always gives the other vessels in very narrow places time to move out, and in places with no stuck vessels 2 bell speed (or just my 7.5 knots cruise speed) is low enough to avoid collisions without additional maneuvers.
Links: SH5 mods I use, FileFront, Manual plotting how-to
Abd_von_Mumit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-10, 10:22 AM   #41
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Quote:
Most collisions can be easily avoided by going with very low speed.

I noticed that even vessels that were previously stuck (for example merchants burning in the middle of Kiel gates) suddenly revive and merrily move out of your way as soon as you come close enough (a few hundred meters). Of course for a burning merchant this may be a slow process, so if your speed is too great, you will still crash with it. However I found that Slow bell speed always gives the other vessels in very narrow places time to move out, and in places with no stuck vessels 2 bell speed (or just my 7.5 knots cruise speed) is low enough to avoid collisions without additional maneuvers.
Thanks AvM this is really useful information.

There are only 2 areas (waypoint stages) where this slower speed would be required during the transit of Kiel Canal. I will ensure low bells passing these areas.
Old 09-24-10, 10:36 AM   #42
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

all changes made to Automation for the additions mentioned above. I'll be releasing patch 2 here very soon for these changes
Old 09-24-10, 10:45 AM   #43
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Thanks TDW
Old 09-24-10, 10:55 AM   #44
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:

not implemented in patch 2 but if need be I can look into it and see what I can come up with. Patch 2 was released in my UIs thread.
Old 09-24-10, 12:46 PM   #45
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Fantastic work TDW

Just finished a test leaving Bremen harbour. Everything worked as it should.

There was one small issue - as boat approaches waypoint there are small adjustments to heading:-

These are printed in messege box. This is ok.
Each adjustment is also spoken. This could be annoying as there can be about 5 to 10 adjustment for each waypoint.

Would there be a way to reduce this or prevent the spoken adjustment.