SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-04-18, 04:42 PM   #1
Greystone
Sparky

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 0
Default Twilight zone water

I know this must've been discussed here before, but despite searching here and elsewhere, finding a satisfactory solution eludes me.
The water... Words fail me. Numerous terrible looking white surfaces appearing and disappearing everywhere. Iridescent blue wakes and wave crests. Orange wakes. Constant changing colors, none of which are all that pleasant or realistic to take in. I don't have an issue with the underwater part; just the disastrous surface view.
I keep playing the game 'cause, well, I like it.. but the water thing keeps sticking in my craw.
How's you're water look? Is it just me?
I'm hoping that some of you out there've come across and implemented a solution that results in an undeniably more realistic, or even just preferable, water than what was shipped stock.
Thanks..
Greystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-18, 05:35 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Shipped stock even it's a rather well done 'ocean'... Which version of the game are you using, and where do you have it installed? What video card are you using? Do you happen to know what the "Native" resolution of your display monitor is? Windows refers to it as "recommended". Do you have Windows set to that? Do you have Silent Hunter set to that? What video settings are you using in the game? What OS are you using, and last, and certainly not least, do you have the DirectX v9.0c that came with the game installed (it usually won't get past the menu without it)? Someone else may see what you wrote and go "Oh, that's easy, all you need to do is...", but I've not ever seen what you describe...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-18, 09:50 PM   #3
Greystone
Sparky

propbeanie; thanks for responding!
If your game's ocean, shipped stock, is rather well done, then I know that the problem's on my end, 'cause regardless of how forgiving a person's taste is, one look at my ocean would convince them that something's not right.
I took a look at your comments & checked things out;

The game was installed using the original cd for the Gold Edition with the Uboat expansion.

It's version 1.5

I did the default install to Program Files (x86).

I'm running Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

Using nVidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti, with 2GB ram.

Monitor's at it's native resolution of 900x1600; game's set to match that.

I checked/unchecked all remotely relevant video options in-game, none of which addressed the problem in the slightest.

As for the DirectX version number, I remember the installation program asking if I'd like to install some DirectX version (I can't recall what the number was). At any rate, I indicated yes & it proceeded to do something for a short while before continuing with the install.
I ran dxdiag and it showed DirectX 11.

Again, thanks for responding; it's somehow perversely nice to know that the problem's somewhere on this end.. it's no wonder there's little to no mention of a lousy ocean when combing through the SH4 forums.
Old 12-05-18, 12:29 PM   #4
Bleiente
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greystone View Post
I did the default install to Program Files (x86).
This is the cardinal error - SH4 must never be installed in the program files from the OS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greystone View Post
As for the DirectX version number, I remember the installation program asking if I'd like to install some DirectX version (I can't recall what the number was). At any rate, I indicated yes & it proceeded to do something for a short while before continuing with the install.
I ran dxdiag and it showed DirectX 11.
As a precaution, restart the directX9c installation from the CD.
You do not need to worry about corrupting your directX11 library, it just adds missing files.

This is how the water looks to me...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleiente View Post

Last edited by Bleiente; 12-05-18 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12-05-18, 05:52 PM   #5
Greystone
Sparky

Bleiente; Thanks.. I mean, really, thanks.. for taking the time & energy to post all those pics & point out the installation folder error.
I uninstalled and re-installed, placing it in a folder called SH4 directly under C:\, making sure to install the DirectX 9 during installation.
It worked! The ocean looks like your pics..
Would love to show how bizarre the ocean I had looked like (used Ctrl+F11 to take some pics), but don't know how to include the .bmp files with this post; I see the "Insert Image" icon above this reply as I'm typing, but when clicked on, I'm directed to provide a URL location of the images (They're on my desktop, not on a web page).
At any rate, I'm one happy camper and can now fully enjoy the game!
Old 12-05-18, 06:16 PM   #6
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

You would have to generally convert the bmp to a jpg file for compression, upload it to a photo-sharing site like imgur or others, and then "link" to it here. If you hit the "Reply" button on Bleiente's post, you'll see the links used to show the pictures. Most of the photo sites have buttons to press to create the links for you...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-18, 07:04 PM   #7
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 215
Default SH4 Corruption Management System

This is really worth installing and using.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=229395

I have several iterations of the FOTRSU installed for comparison and testing purposes. I just rename the Main Folder to something like
"FOTRSUv71" and create a new, virgin copy of FOTRSU using the CMS.

Read the documentation that comes with and you should be good to go with multiple installs of SH4.

I'm currently using FOTRSUv71, TMO2.5, RallesModSoup, Wolves of the Pacific and TMO2.5OTCRSRD.
Once you create an install folder using the CMS you can rename it anything you like. Just make sure that you use the SH4.exe within that same folder to start the game.
I rename the SH4.exe to whatever folder I'm using such as
"FOTRSUv71.exe" if I'm playing FOTRSUv71.

Gone but not forgotten, RIP Dave "LeoVampire".
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote