SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-25-16, 07:59 AM   #16
nsomnia
Weps

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 0

As someone further along in the gameplay directino but much less along in the models and ideas, and using a different engine. Please find more team-members, doing this alone has wasted 12+ months of my life. Doing it with a team has gotten more done in a couple months than since i originally started tinkering on my own.

Otherwise looks great, hard part is keeping the hardcore sim parts like clicking buttons on a canvas to engage/disengage a clutch bool open to be automated/user controlled while maintaining a playable GUI (and game for that matter)
Old 05-25-16, 09:57 AM   #17
celeronpm
Dev: Crush Depth Studios

Downloads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsomnia View Post
As someone further along in the gameplay directino but much less along in the models and ideas, and using a different engine. Please find more team-members, doing this alone has wasted 12+ months of my life. Doing it with a team has gotten more done in a couple months than since i originally started tinkering on my own.

Otherwise looks great, hard part is keeping the hardcore sim parts like clicking buttons on a canvas to engage/disengage a clutch bool open to be automated/user controlled while maintaining a playable GUI (and game for that matter)
Thanks for the wise words nsomnia; I just checked out your project and it looks very promising! Good luck, I look forward to playing your successful release in the future!
celeronpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-16, 10:14 PM   #18
anggono
Swabbie

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by celeronpm View Post

Anyhow, I just posted about the power-train model I am building along with a test control panel...

Basically, the powerplant can be run in multiple modes:
  1. Diesel engine only
  2. Electric motor only
  3. Support and buffer mode
  4. Diesel-electric mode
  5. Charging mode

The model allows you to manually engage/disengage the clutches. This allows you to be a proper engineering chief if your heart desires (no more simple speed requests!).

This model conforms to what I read in British Interrogation Report of captured U-boat crew. It allows a very flexible arrangement such as port diesel engine driving its generator dynamo, electricity generated is used to drive starboard electric motor, while starboard diesel engine is out of service. So both propeller is spinning.
anggono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-16, 07:46 AM   #19
LG
Swabbie

Quote:
This allows you to be a proper engineering chief if your heart desires (no more simple speed requests!)
Definitely something that would be a huge plus for me!
LG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-16, 09:39 AM   #20
celeronpm

I am also ensuring the engine / motor rpms match the proper one per spec given the requested Telegraph speed when the ai is doing the work. Same goes for the propellers, they dynamic thrust in the water will achieve the realistic speed given the rpm. Finally, the diesels were so robust they could run with one piston removed (the rod and piston could just be removed). You'd loose 200hp but the diesel would still turn. I am going to simulate this in the damage model so you can still limp along even in dire circumstances.

Also, the electric motors can be run in serial or parallel mode, and the batteries can be configured in serial and parallel as well. The electric motors were made of two units a piece, so if one was broken, you can run the unit in parallel configuration and still get 50% power. These boats were pretty damn resilient and I want the propulsion system to realistically mimic that fact.

So, you could run one side on a broken diesel with a piston missing and the other on a half limping electric motor. Hope this makes it really challenging and fun for those looking for that depth.

These aspects are almost fully complete, I will post another blog entry with a video in a day or two when it's ready for testing.

The UI panel has received a little polish. The look/feel is more a blueprint style now, which I think should work well going forward.

Last edited by celeronpm; 05-26-16 at 09:55 AM.
celeronpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-16, 04:12 AM   #21
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18

for me it'll be a Dynamic Campaign if you please

fair winds and following seas !

Great project you have there as I loved DCS, I crashed a few times before I was able to take off... and never yet managed a landing but loved the sim !

keltos

keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-16, 06:23 AM   #22
celeronpm

http://www.uboatsim.com/2016/05/27/physics-model/

Here are some screenshots from the underlying physics calculations. See blog post above for more info on how they are calculated if you are interested.

Old 05-27-16, 07:38 AM   #23
nsomnia
Weps

Downloads: 44

There's something ya don't see everyday nice work
Old 05-29-16, 06:15 AM   #24
LG
Swabbie

Very impressive, following this closely!
LG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-16, 03:24 PM   #25
harag
A-ganger

Downloads: 67

Excellent work so far - and I'm glad I've back the project on kickstarter - which I can see has gone through the 20k mark Well done & Congratulations. Hopefully we can get this doubled to 40k

Keep up the excellent work and keep us posted.
harag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-16, 07:04 PM   #26
celeronpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by harag View Post
Excellent work so far - and I'm glad I've back the project on kickstarter - which I can see has gone through the 20k mark Well done & Congratulations. Hopefully we can get this doubled to 40k

Keep up the excellent work and keep us posted.
I assume you're speaking about Uboot, different dev / game. However, I have also backed that game and am glad to see the community is willing to actively back the developers!
Old 06-01-16, 09:06 AM   #27
harag
A-ganger

Downloads: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by celeronpm View Post
I assume you're speaking about Uboot, different dev / game. However, I have also backed that game and am glad to see the community is willing to actively back the developers!
Arr mind f*rt there, yes I was talking about uboot. Sorry about that...however still:

"Excellent work so far" & Keep us posted

Anything wwii sub related is of interest!

It's like waiting for a bus... wait ages and none turn up, then several turn up at once.
harag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-16, 03:13 PM   #28
Bartolomeus
Planesman

Downloads: 28

That looks really impresive, great work so far.

Marko
Old 06-06-16, 09:59 AM   #29
GT182
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 658

This looks absolutely great Celeronpm. :thumbup: This could blow SH3 and 5 right out of the High Seas.

A couple of things I'd like to ask.

1. Will this be a 32 or 64 bit simulation.?

2. What will the best operating system it will run on, and will we be able to run it on XP? I'm going to reinstall XP for my games and simulations only on a secondary HDD. As it was the best OS we've seen and had for gaming.

I haven't had a chance to get into my email and look at the link Onkel Neal had sent me last week. I have just return from my yearly sojourn to Reading, PA for the annual WII weekend. It's been a long 4 days but well worth every second of it.

As said there is all kinds of help here on SubSim, and I know these guys are excellent from the work they've done on mods for both simulations. And others will tell you the same.

Good luck and God speed in your work.

No Borders, No Language, No Culture =s No Country

I'm a Deplorable, and proud of it.
GT182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-16, 03:34 PM   #30
rentacow
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 55

This looks really great! I love that it comes with an automatic update checker too! I'm sure you are aware but the rear dive planes seem to be rotating along the wrong axis, hopefully it's just a quick fix for that.

One quick question, are there keyboard controls for the forward dive planes? I can only control the rear it seems.

Keep up the great work, I cant wait to see the next update.
rentacow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
indie game, simulator