SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-20-12, 02:22 PM   #46
RickC Sniper
Undetectable

Downloads: 132
Uploads: 0

Hey, as long as you are having fun, which is the whole point of playing a game.

Salute!

Support Subsim http://www.subsim.com/store.html
RickC Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-12, 03:35 PM   #47
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC Sniper View Post
You think the game is pricey yet you use the Lumenok (or Luminox) arrows?

I'm confused.
Standard arrows are just as lethal and free. Once you shoot a Lumenok it is gone and you must buy more. And they are expensive!

Edit: I love that picture you posted.
They are great for practicing with the bow at the archery range. You can see the ballistic flightpath, and where they hit on the distant targets. Choose dark day of time for best effect. The LED arrows are not spend when being on a range, like with all other ammo, too, that does not get spend there.

Just be sure you do not repeat my mistake - and step off the platform without npoting it. I fired and lost five arrows by doing that. What a difference that half a meter made...
Old 12-20-12, 03:54 PM   #48
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCIP View Post
Tried it out, it's a very nice game! As someone who has 0 interest or experience in real-life hunting, it's certainly making for some interesting new things to learn. It's both relaxing but also gives you those nice moments of tension and stealth. It certainly plays well as a game.

Not sure if I'm ready to go all-in and pay money for it yet, but I'll play more with the mule deer and see if it sticks with me.
On Hirschfelden map, the red and roe deer can warn the others by calling, a nice addon effect to the default behaviour of the other deer species. Some species I also find very difficult to hunt: I tried on blackbears today for the third time - and still got none, just saw two who showed me their backs from a distance, running. I placed a bear barrel now. Coyotes also are extremely shy and when you just became aware of their presence, they already are on their urgent pulling out.

As a free player you cannot try all these details, unfortunately. You rifles is only suited to kill mule dear at a distance, it is the weakest rifle in the game. Other species you cannot hunt anyway.

The rifles differ not only in power, but also in speed of reloading, and whether you loose your deer out of sight during reloading, or not (must take dopwn the rifle or not). There is a muzzle loader that takes over 20 seconds to reload, and after the shot you cannot see a thing for seconds due to the smoke . They also have all a different sound. The .44 Colt and the Anschütz 7x51 (DVD only so far), sound very nice. The "Winchester" is nice because it has both punch and you must not put it down to reload, which additionally goes very fast.
Old 12-20-12, 03:56 PM   #49
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nippelspanner View Post
Yes I think it is and yes I do spent money on those fancy arrows. The first does not eradicate the latter, does it? I think it is simply called "weakness" and "addiction". I cant help it

And for smaller EM$ sums, I usually "earn" some by watching commercials and stuff. You can sum up a neat sum quickly.
I admit despite having gotten lots of stuff for free from the 2013 DVD, I invested the DVD price again for viortual credits and spend them. I now have payed the price of an ordinary PC new release game in Germany (around 40 Euros they cost most of the time). It was worth it, absolutely.

There business model and the need to start the game from online launcher in a browser, prevented me until this week to test The Hunter. I admit that while I do not like the onlöine need, I accepüt their business model. It gives them the finacial freedom to contiunue with developement. A new bow will be released early next year, and a new rserve is beiong prepared, too. Plus constant upgrades and patches, since three years. Since 2010, their list of updates names 24 versions. Not bad, I would say. It seems their model is functioning.
Old 12-20-12, 03:59 PM   #50
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
...the Anschütz 8x51 (DVD only so far), sound very nice.
Fixed

I would really like to have this rifle, but I have to wait until its digital release. I also bought the Muzzleloader and like it very much.
Old 12-20-12, 04:32 PM   #51
RickC Sniper
Undetectable

Downloads: 132

Quote:
They are great for practicing with the bow at the archery range. You can see the ballistic flightpath, and where they hit on the distant targets. Choose dark day of time for best effect. The LED arrows are not spend when being on a range, like with all other ammo, too, that does not get spend there.

Just be sure you do not repeat my mistake - and step off the platform without npoting it. I fired and lost five arrows by doing that. What a difference that half a meter made...
Agreed. I bought a small amount of them for only this purpose as well.
I am a terrible marksman with this particular bow.

Support Subsim http://www.subsim.com/store.html
RickC Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-12, 08:48 PM   #52
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nippelspanner View Post
Fixed
Pedant!
Old 12-21-12, 09:21 AM   #53
Skybird
Soaring

@ Oberon,

going off topic again: I have added some links to the Airbus posting in the flightsim section. List of features, interview with Aerosoft, and some videos.

It sure looks nice!
Old 12-21-12, 09:50 AM   #54
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

/joiningtheOTparty
NOTHING tops PMDG and LevelD!
Old 12-21-12, 10:13 AM   #55
Skybird
Soaring

[offtopic on]
The 767 was great in FS 2002 and 2004, and extremely reliable. I loved it. But it now shoes its age in virtual cockpit graphics: 2D switches and buttons, and the like. It'S not on the premier frontline of technology anymore, I think.
[offtopic off]

That reminds me of that I wanted to try to shoot at one of those airliners passing over the reserves in The Hunter occasionally. Will try with the .300 Bolt Action, it has the biggest punch. How does a bullet cal 7.62 fly with 5000 joule? Maybe I can make a picture of the pilot's... antler... afterwards when I was successful.

New videos by Pratze available, btw.
Old 12-21-12, 10:33 AM   #56
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Quote:
[offtopic on]
The 767 was great in FS 2002 and 2004, and extremely reliable. I loved it. But it now shoes its age in virtual cockpit graphics: 2D switches and buttons, and the like. It'S not on the premier frontline of technology anymore, I think.
[offtopic off]

That reminds me of that I wanted to try to shoot at one of those airliners passing over the reserves in The Hunter occasionally. Will try with the .300 Bolt Action, it has the biggest punch. How does a bullet cal 7.62 fly with 5000 joule? Maybe I can make a picture of the pilot's... antler... afterwards when I was successful.

New videos by Pratze available, btw.
They should do it as a special event for April 1st

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-12, 11:09 AM   #57
Skybird
Soaring

In case any hunter had the same problem like me and so far is unable to make screenshots with any of the mentioned tips and workarounds, I now found a solution that works at least for my system. Fraps did not work for me. FSscreen did not work for me. Greenshot did not work for me. Windows PrintScreen key and saving the notepad content did noit work anyway.

But MSI Afterburner did - and my nVidia board even is no MSI board. Crystalclear, lasersharp full-size screenshots at gameplay resolution.

I think I will now run photosafaris and let the poor animals live - at least more often.
Old 01-28-13, 03:56 PM   #58
Skybird
Soaring

Found this video by chance when searching youtube for material on the new compound bow included in The Hunter, the Parker Python.

Nice bow, btw, overpriced, but more silent than the Snakebite or the crossbow, and I hit easier with it. Complaints that it is too low powered, I cannot understand. This evening I scored two mooses with one shot each, heart shots one from front, one from the side, at 15-20 meters. Maybe people are trying to shoot from too huge distances?!

Anyhow, while shooting in the game is abstracted, bow shooting in the game has even less to do with real archery than rifle shooting in the bgame has to do with reality. To me, however, the game is not so much about shooting anyway. I sneak, enjoy and relax instead.
Old 02-15-13, 08:36 PM   #59
Skybird
Soaring

Found a new love in the game, the new Anschütz hunting rifle 1780 in callibre 9,3x62.

First, it's about the sound. The 8x57IS already sounded nice, this one sounds as nice, but different. Can't say which is better. But when it comes to best rifle sounds, in The Hunter these two rifles are the two candidates to chose from.

Second, this one delivers the heaviest punch of all rifles in the game. The famous African-tales-callibre it is: slower travelling but heavier bullet than the .300 or Winchester 306 Drops mooses and wild boars with one strike - the .300 gave me bigger troubles often. This callibre has special permission in Africa to be used for the big five no other round of that size is allowed for them, all others have to be even bigger (says Wikipedia).

It is assumed this gun relates to a new big species they include in the upcoming new reserve, which features a Scandinavian-style late-autumn-early-winter forest with mild snow layers and snowflakes instea dof rain. Could be a brown bear. Could be a caribou, I think these two are the most likely candidates.

With this rifle I think all others have become somewhat obsolete. A drop in precision over longer shooting ranges I cannot confirm, at least not at the distances I shoot at - and I avoid shooting beyond lets say 400 ft.

P.S. Nevertheless, precise aiming reminds important. So shoot with discipline, even this rifle is no self-runner!
Old 06-04-13, 05:50 AM   #60
Skybird
Soaring

The Hunter now has