SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-23-18, 12:56 PM   #346
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

I didn't know this game looks, really awesome

Used to hunt rabbits with my 22mm with visor when I was young, as well as with the shotgun. Curious to how this translates to a PC, will see if there is a demo.

Out of curiosity, do you have real life hunting experience? I believe in Germany wildlife hunting is more restricted than here in Spain
Old 05-23-18, 02:30 PM   #347
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

No hunter myself. In Germany, the theoretical exam fopr getting a license is - quite extensive, and, wenn super-theoretical, my father did it (sports pistol), and that gave me enough insight. You also have to frequerntly attend competitions and have to lof regular club trainign hours, 18 times per year, its all mdesigned to makew people not going after a license.

The air rifle and rabbit hunting in TheHunter, is a very different game in TheHunter, for the reticle really needs to be compensated for the bulett drop nside the range when the air rifle is usefull to take out the animal. Thats a very big difference to the standard rifles. Some of the latter have some bullet drop over certain ranges, too.

I do not play it that often anymore, but still love it. Its a good compromise between game and sim, and as you said, it looks great, still, with this old engine.

There also is TheHunter:Call of the Wild, with a newer engine, but gameplay a bit more arcadish, also the microtransaction buzsiness model is missing - you pay once, and have it all, forever. Its available for PC, too, but the main direcition it was pointed at was consoles. I know the PS4 version, it was not bad, really not. Classic howveer, although blooking older, is the more realstic and complex simulation.

If you go for it, be hesitent to buy stuff. You can get along with surprisingly little equipment, only some is essentiual. Much is for immersion. And they make it easy to spend much more than you need to spend to get access to all gameplay.
Old 05-23-18, 03:26 PM   #348
Lord_magerius
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 96

Got to agree with Skybird 100% there about everything with the game. I still play it quite a bit so if you download it and get the free account feel free to hit me up on Steam my name is Monkster and I'll take you on a few hunts for the free stuff if you like. See if you like it and such
Old 05-24-18, 08:36 AM   #349
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Thanks for the hindsight, will be shooting this summer with my son and his air rifle as well as my own shotgun, probably will be getting into the mood for giving this a try.
Old 09-05-18, 04:21 AM   #350
Skybird
Soaring

Its the Call of the Wild again.

It seems The Hunter Classic slowly, slowly is loosing players. Its been around since long, technologically there is the increase of rendering distance from 220 to 330 meters, but that is all there has been in technological improvement sin the past 10 years, so the slow fading of the game should maybe not be surprising.

The Call of the Wild however is doing better in my personal gaming charts, an I initial expected. I like it, and I do not care for calls by some that it is "less realistic". I am not certain that it really is so. Some aspects feel and get managed differently, yes, and the levelling of skill bonusses with exprience is not designed the wa I would have preferred, but I have learned to forgive that.

They have released two new reserves, Medved Taiga and Africa. Especilly the taiga is maybe my preferred reserve now, since they did an outstanding job in rcreating this desolate, forsaken place and stun the player with beautiful visuals and a feeling of realyl beign exposed, and lonely, isolated. Africa however is a two sided sword. On the ine hand you again have beautiful visuals and a cokour scheme, a style that indeed reminds a lot of Africa, on the other hand, when the viewing distnces become really long, the rdnering spoils the illusion while in the very very logn distances the computer graphics aspect becomes more and more obvious to the eye, with plain monochrome areas with cloned bushes popping up, it looks like graohcis form a 90s comouter game at times. So, regions where the viewing distance is limite,d are preferred. this proboem is not existent on the other three maps.

Also, the Afric amap suffers form havign too few, or better: nine of the inhabitants players would expect to see and hunt in frica. No lions, zebras, elephant, giraffes, crocodiles, leopards or gepards, hyenas, rhinos. Social media seem to indicate that many players take this queer indeed. Its my reason why I never have wanted an africa reserve in their polls in the pats years. The viewing distance problem was better solved on their Australia map, but then I saw that in PC, not on Playstation, the hardware may influence this significantly, but the animal problem I have forseen for sure.

However, you must not buy it. I full heartly recommend the Taiga, however. Its superb.

Currently I play the game a lot again, and have tremendous joy and fun with it. Its proving to be quite difficult and challenging. i did not know there were extensive statistics recorded and found them by "accident", I was stunned that there was a number saying how animals I have spooked by my walkign noise: the number said almost three thousand. That came as a shock, I play like I play Classic and in Classic I move around quite silently and stay invisible where I can. Here in CotW I seem to not do well enough!

Shooting initially was frustrating, the gamepad has a bad command layout and so I messed up repeatedly, but they corected that in an earlier patch, of whcih there have been severl over the year. Also, with experience come additonal perks and skills, I focussed on optimising breathing and shaking when using rifles, and now, shooting - despite the problems fine tunings always bring with the ministicks of a gamepad - I can handle it quite well.

I also repeatedly got attacked and injure dnow by certain animals I did not hit hard enough and of whose species you would expct that they are capable and willing to atack. Another huge difference to Classic. But then, as I said the levellign system is not optimal and very slow, and I still have only a quite weak rifle, so this may change over time once I get a bigger argument.

I play Classic now very rarely only, but more and more grow into CotW. It looks so much better and has a full day-night-cycle.

The PS4 versions includes some stuff that on PC gets sold as sepadate DLCs. its not the microtrnasactionf renzy of Classics, however. On playstation, there were just the two new maps, a goose-hunting pck and a bow.focussed pack as additonal DLCs so far. Prices were moderate, with 8 Euros for the maps (IÄm fine with that), and 4 Euros for the two weapon packs (I would be fine with that as well if I would be interested, but I am not).

This new game has turned out to run much better than I expected when they released it. Steam feedback reflects that, the game is rated quite positively, whle Classic always suffered from the negative feedback about the micro transaction business model.

Very recommend, its a very beautiful and solid game, really. Not perfect - but which game is perfect? But very good.

I do not know the PC version. I use it on PS4 only.

P.S. Here is the Wiki for CotW: http://thehuntercotw.wikia.com/wiki/..._the_Wild_Wiki

Taiga:

Africa:
Old 09-05-18, 08:20 AM   #351
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
Used to hunt rabbits with my 22mm with visor when I was young, as well as with the shotgun. Curious to how this translates to a PC, will see if there is a demo.
A 22mm? Was there anything left of the rabbits?

Old 09-05-18, 04:53 PM   #352
Skybird
Soaring

15 indeed very good tips for those new to the game (CotW). Also gives some insight into the game mechanisms.

Old 09-08-18, 03:31 AM   #353
Skybird
Soaring

It seems I had kind of a bad start with the african reserve, the first hours only spent on a part of the map that is the least attractive, and offering the mentioned visual problems. However, I walked hours in other parts as well now, and must say this map all in all is a work of beauty. The cokours and the light match what I imagine it to be near the equator, the atmosphere and mood of the place is fantastic, the jungles are thick and adventurous, the high grass in the savannah turns it into a very different playing.

I mjst say I like this new Hunter game better than the old one now. I do not care what the crowd says about less realism in it, I see no decisive differences, tbh, and a few occasional bugs here or there I can easily forgive. This is a superb hunting experience on computer, and a very nice hide-and-seek game, something for the sneakers and the patient. You need to gain some perks and skills to move around and be able to shoot (with a ganmepad, not a mouse) reliably, but that is okay, and I tremendously like that lure and callers do not work as reliably as they do in the classic game: call, wait, shoot, becasue the animals come with 100% certainty.

I also suffered my first death as a Hunter ever in te game. A grumpy Cape Buffalo I stumbled into in the high grass near a swamp. He charged, I soon learned I could not run away, only evade, and finally despartely let of a round - but havign only a .243, that ily turned him even angrier, so he played football with me, buffalo style.

Quite some of the bigger animals can and do attack the player. Even a damn coyote recently tried to bite me.

Love it!
Old 01-08-19, 06:12 PM   #354
Skybird
Soaring

I missed that this was coming/is released!

South America!

Pumas!!

Beauty!!!

Still playing it, still going with it, still loving it.
Old 04-25-19, 04:00 PM   #355
Skybird
Soaring

Exclamation !!! IMPORTANT !!!

Quote:
We would like to take this opportunity to tell you about the new business model for theHunter:Classic.
Starting May 6th, we will update theHunter Classic’s free-to-play model by giving all players free access to all the reserves and animals, as well as making the game exclusively available on Steam.
For players who want to enhance their hunting experience, weapons, equipment and vanity items will still be priced with em$. Additionally, all items in the store will receive a gm$ price and all future animal harvests will yield gm$. Players that have memberships that last longer than May, will be automatically compensated in em$ with an amount reflecting the length of membership remaining.
We appreciate all the passion the community has shown over the past decade, helping us make theHunter Classic what it is today. Moving forward, we hope that these changes will lower the barrier of entry for new and returning players alike by giving them a more immediate way of immersing themselves in the beautiful world that we’ve created.
http://news.thehunter.com/status-update-309/

So there is hope the game will live to live on. Despite the quarrels I had with the company, and the bugs there were and that soimetimes took years to get squasahed, not many gaves in my life have had me so much under their spell, like this one. I do not play it often anymore - but get back to it again and again, and it nevers fails to fascinate me again.
Old 04-26-19, 03:21 PM   #356
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybermat47 View Post
A 22mm? Was there anything left of the rabbits?

Big rabbits.. with armour.
Old 05-06-19, 10:45 AM   #357
Skybird
Soaring

The new update is online. And it seems to work fine, the system now allows free use of .243 with free supply in ammo and one free shotgun and rounds of a certain kind (I am not using these myself...). All other items and weapons now cost money, but the prices are very reasonable, and especially ammo is so cheap that a box of ten rounds can be had with 2-4 harvests, because every harvest's CSS equals virtual coins that can be used to spend on things in the store. As long as you are not terribly wasting your ammo, it indeed seems to be a system that allows "free play" once you bought the wepon(s) of your choice.

Looks good - certainly much better than many doomsdayers and gloomy pessimists feared it would be. And so, yes: there is no more pay membership now. Otr better, you are a member without needing to pay for anything at all, if you don't want. Competitions and statistics all work.
Old 05-06-19, 05:49 PM   #358
Skybird
Soaring

The system works, I just bagged my first buck with the new system active now, one wounding shot at very long distance, and then one kill shot at closer distance. Normally I would not have taken such a long shot, but a pesky female was nearby, putting the whole situation at risk. Scored enough points with that one trophy so that with them I could already buy an ammo box of 10 rounds, and have some virtual coins left.

Needless to say: female deer will not earn you points and thus: no virtual money. I like that detail, only scoring kills will be rewarded with GM$.

Since it is the game's 10th anniversary celebration, there is currently a sale on everything, 20 or 25% off, that is true for ammo, too.

Happy birthday, theHunter Classic! All in all it has been a wonderful time for me.
Old 05-09-19, 01:44 AM   #359
Lord_magerius
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 96

Will definitely be re-installing again, after my last membership expired I'd decided that I'd spent more than enough on the game over the years, think this might rekindle my love for the game.
Old 05-10-19, 04:52 PM   #360
Skybird
Soaring

I have fully re-engaged with the game. The rendering distance is increased to 330m now 220m before), ground animals density has been significantly toned down it seems, to open slots for the bigger number of flying species I suppose. I think that rifle physics also changed a bit, I tested them more systematically this morning with a private shooting range over almost 300m, and found the bullet drops of the 3, 4 rifles I know well behaving differently, the heavier bullets fly more in a straight line now, the bullet drop of the for exmaple the Anschütz 9.3 is not as severe anymore as it once was. The compensation for my membership fee until January 2020 worked flawlessly and I got pretty much exactly the virtual money I calculated myself, if not a little bit more. The new ammo system works very well and changes he way I play, I no longer commit massacres amongst female deer not scoring CCS points and thus no virtual money, but care for the virtual money aspect, although it is so forgiving that only somebody missing ten shots in a row will get into troubles so that he must spent real money on rearming. The viusuals are better at the horizon, too, they altered the bitmaps for distant backgrounds.

I am seriously wondering what had kept me away from playing it much more over the past 3 years or so. Its still so great.

There is uncertainty about EW's future plans, the company does not communicate well anymore, many Kassandras predict the game will be killed as early as next year, but that is rumours only so far. True is however that staff has been dramatically reduced and active development on new reserves and species does not happen anymore. I think they have moved it all to steam now to get it off heir hands without needing to shut it down completely.

Past investements only paid past bills and do nothing for future bills, they must nevertheless pay for an emergency tech crew, servers, and Steam, so a little bit income must be generated. Their recipe seems to work well this week, many new players have arrived, numbers went up steeply, many old players returned. Despite spending my compensated em$, I went in with another 10 Euros to buy new scopes. I think if somebody plays now for free and does so for long time and enjoys it, once or twice a year donating a minor money for some new item for 2-3 Euros, or a weapon for 4-5 Euros, is not asked too much for. And it helps to raise chances that the game is kept open. It deserves it. I again cannot believe how much beauty it lays out before my eyes. Some income they still must generate, else the game wil, die sooner or later.

Also note that the ethical hunting lists for what animals can be killed with what weapons, have been altered as well. They make more sense now.

Its so nice to be able still to access the familiar reserves and places.

Hostred two MP sessions over this day. First, I got three gueasts, all old players having not played since years and seeing it for the first time again since that time, and they were puzzled about the changes, very positive feedback, nice chat we had. Next I had another session this time, before some experienced players came in, I had only three compelte newcomers, young kids but behyving well, who saw it for the first time ever and were stunend by whjat was offered to them. Threy did not know that the game was there and what it is and what it does, and I led them into the basics a bit and they were completely stunned withg amazement. Both sessions were pleasant experien ces for me.

Hunting the lynmx, is difficult, I found, I am chasing ghosts, anmd I oike the difficulty in it. I oike it very much. I played cat and osue with one for almost one hour, while it knew I was there but right outside his alarm radius, I tried all the time to not enter the alrm radius but being close enough to shoot at it - if only I could see it. Superb experience.

Last edited by Skybird; 05-10-19 at 05:03 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote