SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-10-14, 05:26 PM   #1
TMHLIVE
Swabbie

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0
Home Made Sub Sim control system

Hey everyone, I have a question, actually a bit of a strange one. One thing I have noticed in most sub sims or at least silent hunter, sub command the user can insert way points or manually drive the boat to a fashion. All these flight simulators all can be controlled with a joy stick and in FSX or others a like you can get Saitek ProFlight set up and really put your self behind the wheel. Well the idea of a sub is controlled the same way really. Rudder, planes (flaps), engine speed. altitude (depth) etc etc etc. Even Ship simulator has a kinda modular control service which has the right idea.

what about using the same thing sorta for a sub. the instrument clusters would not work as vertical horizon has a plane on it but maybe the altimeter would ok and a few others of the cluster units but the yoke and pedals as well as the throttle systems.

I just thought that it would be cool to not only control the boat and do all the stuff we love about sub sims in general to actually taking command of the helm and taking the sub sim world to the next level.

TMHLIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-14, 09:06 PM   #2
magicstix
Captain

Downloads: 1

Being the actual pilot on a sub is pretty boring. You just stare at gauges and do what the OOD tells you all day, which is why it's generally the most junior sailors doing it. :P
magicstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-14, 09:45 PM   #3
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Yeah, and the other issue is that actually we don't really have a lot of sub sims where you have that kind of direct control.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-14, 03:03 PM   #4
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Someone here on the forum is working on a real SH3 TDC panel. But that is about it. Then again, might be the start of something.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=212356
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-18, 10:04 AM   #5
sonicninja
Watch Officer

Downloads: 936

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicstix View Post
Being the actual pilot on a sub is pretty boring. You just stare at gauges and do what the OOD tells you all day, which is why it's generally the most junior sailors doing it. :P
This depends on what the boat is actually doing at the time, I was a planesman for many years on Trafalgar Class SSN's, fair enough if your fast and deep on a transit across the Atlantic then some may find that could be boring.

On the other hand doing any of the following evolutions is anything but boring:-

Perisher Courses including ducking under charging Frigates/Destroyers
Sneaking around coastlines of "Nations of Interest"
TLAM Launches on live operations
Deploying SF
Training/Work Up packages
Under Ice operations
Intel gathering on skimmers

Also in the RN its not the junior crew that are usually Planesmen it can be anyone from Able Seaman up to Chief Petty Officer on the wheel.

In my whole submarine career I would say being a planesman was anything but boring but I can imagine it would be if I had served on an SSBN sitting in a box at 4 kts for 90 days doing one depth change every 24 hours.
sonicninja is offline   Reply With Quote