SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-09-18, 03:01 PM   #1
CptGlub
Mate

Downloads: 76
Uploads: 0
Default Balao Depth, Mine Damage, Sonar Graphics & Grousing

Trying desperately to make it through the war. Lessons are brutal. Some questions before I start...again. I'm in TMO 2.5 with various add-ons and some home-grown tweaks.

1. How can I get a Balao to go below test depth? The depth meter only goes to 450 and the test depth red line is pegged there.

2. Can the damage caused by a mine be modified? If so how/where? Sudden death may have been a reality in war but it sort of sucks in a sim.

3. Both of my sonar gauges are sh-crap. The direction dial for the hydrophone and the active sonar are unreadable and I'm forced to constantly count from the cardinal direction lines. Where do the graphics live for these dials and how hard would it be to change them? (At some point in my past, I can remember getting a sub upgrade and being rewarded with super crisp dials at the sonar station. Not sure where those days went as my dials are now mud in all subs.) When I catch up with the rooskie who shipped a game with those graphics, I'm gonna open up a can of whoop.

Now for some grousing that will fix nothing--

A mine in over 300 ft of water? Really? So now we know why japan REALLY lost the war. They went broke buying chain. I'm no historian but it seems to me that mines were for anchorages and bottle necks--not the open sea. From the little that I've read, mines seemed to do almost more damage to the friendlies than the enemy. I can't believe they were being anchored out in the middle of nowhere so that anybody could blunder into them.

Here endeth the grouse.
CptGlub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-18, 04:52 PM   #2
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptGlub View Post
1. How can I get a Balao to go below test depth? The depth meter only goes to 450 and the test depth red line is pegged there.
Go to the control room. Find the depth gauge one the wall. Click that one.

Also, I believe the "D" key will cause the sub to dive. And it will continue down until you set a new depth, or hit "A" to level off at the current depth.
Old 02-26-18, 03:40 AM   #3
Travis Reed
Planesman

Downloads: 104

Be advised that diving below 600 feet will give you severe depth keeping issues, to the point where you may not be able to get back up, even at flank and blowing ballast. I'd stick to 550 or less.
Old 02-26-18, 02:08 PM   #4
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68

Quote:
Also, I believe the "D" key will cause the sub to dive. And it will continue down until you set a new depth, or hit "A" to level off at the current depth

I am driving a Balao also. Just for drill, I went 450' no problems, then I tried "d" for dive.
Surprise, the boat gently returned to 325' (red line on guage) and held there.

What MOD give you access to the gauges, etc in Control room? All I can do is look.

MY mush mix:
Websters_GFO_Mod_v1.1
Webster’s New Orders Bar Menu for v1.5
RSRDC_SH15_V550
GFO Patch for RSRDC v401
Gato Sonar Bearing Fix_Stock

Also typed in for “crtl-w” for weather, and “Shift-g” for fuel estimate
mikesn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-18, 03:41 PM   #5
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesn9 View Post
What MOD give you access to the gauges, etc in Control room?
Trigger Maru Overhauled