SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-01-16, 09:44 AM   #16
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc4ulfate View Post
I have never seen where decoys were loaded automatically on any boat in the game no matter what year it is with the exception of starting a late career.
Starting a career on day one (Dec. 8, 1941), Pearl Harbor, stock SH4 v1.5, with a Porpoise, puts the Decoys on the boat automatically......nothing to add, nothing to buy. Fired 10 before running out.

Tried the Tambor, same date, same base, same result. Went to the Asiatic Fleet Base, same start date (actually the date is Dec. 10, 1941), S-18 boat, same result.

All had the "Decoy Launcher" found in "Subsystems" menu:

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-16, 04:02 PM   #17
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

That's been my experience, decoys are automatically available at the start of every career and every patrol in a career no matter what date. Never heard of having to buy decoys with renown, is there a mod that restricts decoys?
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-16, 07:47 PM   #18
Captain Dave
Officer

Downloads: 398
Uploads: 3

Doing a quick check, with stock sh4 1.5 I have decoys. With TMO added, no decoys. I suspect I won't get them until 1944.
Captain Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-16, 10:32 AM   #19
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210
Uploads: 0

I never start a career without a decent mod load out. I suppose I should have added that if you play as unrealistic as possible yes you will have them. Perhaps I should stop taking it for granted that most use mods to make the load outs more date driven.

My fault.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-16, 12:05 PM   #20
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

i am running 1.5 from the DVD with RFB and i cannot deploy them. i'll be @@@@ed if i can figure why.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-16, 01:14 PM   #21
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

Try running without RFB, if you get decoys with a new career in the stock game, then RFB has something in it that disables decoys.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-16, 03:48 PM   #22
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Just an interesting side note about the decoy systems.

The loss of German U-Boats early in the war caused Hitler to convene a meeting with his commanders in Sept. 1942. Hitler himself had the idea of putting oil and floating debris into a torpedo that would explode and float its contents to the surface, indicating a sinking. Although at first, the idea didn't get off the ground, other ideas like the Hydrogen Bubble Canister did. I'm assuming the Germans had the "Bold" system by early 1943.

Likewise the Americans had a meeting in Dec. 1943 to do the same (no doubt referencing what the Germans had been up to). I would guess a similar decoy system was put into practice, probably early 1944. It's hard to get direct information regarding just when systems like these were introduced.

The stock game may not reference the decoys as accurately as they should when they were put into practice......thus the modded differences with the dates. Some mods having the availability of the decoys more accurately portrayed.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-18, 05:02 PM   #23
Ichthyos
Seaman

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper297 View Post
Depends on how you use them. What I do, the second the first torpedo hits there's no point in being quiet anymore since everyone knows there's a sub in the area.
actually, that's not true. I have sat right on the edge of a task force after having lured the destroyer screen away and dived underneath them, taken out battleships, and so long as I am just far enough away that they can't see my periscope, and I'm running 1/3 speed, nobody notices me. I have done this repeatedly, and the big capital ships do nothing but run into my torpedoes.

the key is just to lure the destroyer screens away by being VERY noisy on the surface during your long distance approach. they will bum rush you, and just before they reach visual detection range, you crash dive below the thermocline, shut your power to 1/3, and cruise right underneath them using silent running. do that for about 400 yards, then up to periscope depth, and they are running in circles behind you, while you line up your shots on the capital ships.

really, this works every time for me.
Ichthyos is offline   Reply With Quote