SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-02-15, 01:40 PM   #16
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Downloads: 298
Uploads: 0

I swear that if you load a game while you're in mid-patrol the game will use local time then.
Admiral Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-15, 01:24 PM   #17
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

SH4 uses base time in-game. I don't know about Mission Editor time however it would be easy to find out.

Each patrol I draw vertical lines on my chart - 15d for every hour, so I know how many hours to add or subtract from base-time depending on where I am. It only takes a few minutes to do, and is very helpful.

I draw vertical lines 7.5d each side of 180d, and every 15d E and W from those lines. The moon-rise & moon-set tables can then be used as well as the Sun tables to plan your attacks etc. There aren't the RW N/S seasonal differences, so the tables are pretty close no matter what latitude or longitude you are on.

I found this so useful I edited the Sun & Moon tables into my F1 Help file.

- Edited spelling - (if you can't spell a word more than one way, you don't know how to spell) ... lol

Happy Hunting!
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

Last edited by aanker; 02-11-18 at 02:20 PM.
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-18, 04:17 AM   #18
Gaius Godefridus
Nub

Downloads: 155

I think the base time BT is the time on the naval base, so the Zone Time ZT.

Example:
1941 December 10 - base time 17-15-00
The naval base is Pearl Harbor on 21°20.7'N and 157°58.5'W and is located in the Zone Time GMT-10

Determine Greenwich Mean Time GMT and Local Mean Time LMT on naval base Pearl Harbor

Step 1 - GMT = BT + 10
BT 17-15-00 + 10 hours = 27-15-00 minus 24 = 03-15-00 GMT next day on December 11

Step 2 - LMT on naval base Pearl Harbor = GMT minus arc to time of longitude
157°58.5'W arc to time = 157.975 / 15° = 10.531667 hours
03-15-00 GMT on December 11 minus 10.531667 hours = -7.281667 + 24 = 16-43-06 LMT on December 10

Determine the Local Mean Time at the current position of the submarine

Example:

The submarine leaves Pearl Harbor 1941 December 10 at 17-15-00 base time with course 275° and speed 11kts
and is on December 12 at 17-15-00 BT on position 21°41.4'N and 167°24.2'W.

What is the Local Mean Time at this current position?

Difference between longitude naval base and current longitude submarine in arc to time
157°58.5'W minus 167°24.2'W = -9.4283333° x 4 minutes = -37.713333 minutes
17-15-00 = 17.25 x 60 = 1035 - 37.713333 = 997.28667 / 60 = 16.621444 = 16-37-17 LMT

GMT today referred as UTC is the Coordinated Universal Time based on the Greenwich Meridian
and is valid all over the world.

GMT is very important for the celestial navigation and to determine sunrise and sunset.

LMT is the Local Mean Time based on the current longitude.

I don't know if it is implemented in Silent Hunter 4, that would have to be tested.

I hope, I could help a little bit
Gaius Godefridus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-18, 10:40 AM   #19
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Gaius Godefridus!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-18, 12:18 PM   #20
Gaius Godefridus
Nub

Downloads: 155

Thanks Aktungbby
Gaius Godefridus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-18, 02:09 PM   #21
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaius Godefridus View Post
........ GMT today referred as UTC is the Coordinated Universal Time based on the Greenwich Meridian
and is valid all over the world.

GMT is very important for the celestial navigation and to determine sunrise and sunset.

LMT is the Local Mean Time based on the current longitude.

I don't know if it is implemented in Silent Hunter 4, that would have to be tested.

I hope, I could help a little bit
Yes I am familiar with GMT, UTC, & LMT.

When I sail out of Pearl, I use the method I described above your post and here:
Quote:
I draw vertical lines 7.5d each side of 180d, and every 15d E and W from those lines. The moon-rise & moon-set tables can then be used as well as the Sun tables to plan your attacks etc. There aren't the RW N/S seasonal differences, so the tables are pretty close no matter what latitude or longitude you are on.

I found this so useful I edited the Sun & Moon tables into my F1 Help file.
The resulting time zones determined from my vertical lines are close enough to plan an attack, know what time the sun & moon will rise and set, and the 1941 - 1945 moon phases are also close enough to be used.

For people who expect a planetarium - well, they won't 'get one' and will post lengthily replies telling me that basically I am an idiot for even attempting my method, however my method is is better than not having a clue of what time it is where I am. My method is not close enough for celestial navigation and SH4 itself is not close enough for celestial navigation either.

Despite the few naysayers here and there this method does work for me, I know what time it is where I am, and can plan my actions accordingly. I've shared my method and some are thankful because it works for them too, and I don't waste my time on the negative posts anymore.

For people who expect SH4 to be a precision instrument, they won't find it, but my method is close enough for a game, planning a recon, a supply drop, and an attack. I don't do arithmetic, I just know when I cross one of the lines I drew every 15d I just add or subtract an hour depending on which direction I am going to determine what time it is where I am. So simple - <sigh>

Happy Hunting!
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

Old 04-01-18, 11:21 PM   #22
USS Lionfish
Nub

Downloads: 76

Not sure if there's a way to get non-base time.
Old 04-02-18, 02:09 AM   #23
Sean C
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aanker View Post
I draw vertical lines 7.5d each side of 180d, and every 15d E and W from those lines.
This is how actual nautical time zones are laid out. They are unlike civil time zones in that they pay no regard to political boundaries. Each nautical time zone is exactly 15° of longitude from pole to pole and differs from GMT by a number of whole hours. Nautical time zones are typically used once a ship has left the territorial waters of a particular nation.

Here is a chart showing all of the nautical time zones, their phonetic names, hours offset from GMT, starting and ending longitudes, and the longitude upon which they are centered. Notice that there is no "Juliet" time zone. Note also that the "Mike" and "Yankee" time zones (+12h and -12h, respectively) are each only 7.5° wide.
Sean C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-18, 06:27 PM   #24
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Thank you Nathaniel B. I'd seen others but never this one.

Happy Hunting!
Old 04-02-18, 08:29 PM   #25
Sean C
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 2

You're welcome! That is a chart I made for my own reference and I hadn't posted it anywhere until now.
Sean C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-18, 10:02 AM   #26
LCQ_SH
Lieutenant

Downloads: 175

good question. o.o
LCQ_SH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-18, 01:09 PM   #27
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

although not scientific, you can make an educated guess as to local time just by looking at the position of the sun.

actual local time is irrelevant, what you really want to know is how many hours of daylight or night you have left.

In campaigns, I just make a mental note of when the sun rises or sets each day.

I dont think single missions use "Base time".