Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-05-10, 09:38 PM   #1
gg5356
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Cursor moving slow

My cursor is moving very slow, anyway to make move faster.

MSI - AMD 2.3 quad core- 4gb ram- 500gb hdd
Geforce 9400GT- 1024gb/128 bit(new)
Vista 32bit

Unknow what the fps is or how to speed it up.

Thanks
Old 03-05-10, 10:41 PM   #2
Tandrews
Nub

Downloads: 16
Uploads: 0

Same Problem here. This has been driving me nuts!
Tandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-10, 10:44 PM   #3
jwilliams
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 124

try turning shadows off and see what its like then.
Old 03-05-10, 11:30 PM   #4
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

I was going to suggest a new videocard, but that's a start.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-10, 12:23 AM   #5
coasterdigi
Sailor man

Downloads: 57

What you're experiencing is known as "mouse lag", and is kind one of those "classic" Nvidia problems. They have a really hard time with it, for some reason.

To increase performance there are a few things you can do. For one, turn off the shadows. That should help...a lot. Also, it sometimes helps to reduce the number of "prerendered frames" in the Nvidia settings.

How do I do that, you may ask? Well, let ol' digi show you!

First things first, you need to get to your Nvidia control panel. There are a couple of ways to do this:
1. Right click in an empty area of your desktop. You should see the "Nvidia Control Panel" in the context menu that appears.

IF that doesn't work, you can get there by accessing your computer's control panel.

2. Once you open the Nvidia control panel, you'll see a number of options to the left-hand side of the screen. The one that we're interested in, is under the "3d Settings" group, and is labeled "Manage 3d Settings"

In the main part of the window, select the "Program Settings" tab.

Now, there won't be an option to specify settings for SH5 specifically--we have to tell the Nvidia software that we want special settings for Silent Hunter. Sooo...click the "Add" button....

...navigate to your SH5 folder (should be c:\ubisoft\Silent Hunter 5), select the "sh5" executable in the window, and click "open."

Once you've done that, you'll see "sh5.exe" in the drop-down box next to the "Add" button, and a whole bunch of options below that. Scroll down until you see the item labeled "Maximum Prerendered Frames." Change the value from 3 to 1.

...and don't forget to hit "Apply" or your changes won't be saved.

Many users report a performance gain after doing this, especially when it pertains to mouse lag. Personally, I don't see much of a difference, but it makes the lag tolerable for me.

Essentially, Nvidia GPUs try to speed things up by having the CPU prerender a certain number of frames before displaying them on the monitor. It allows for smoother rendering most of the time, but, when a software cursor is involved, like in SH5, it can cause problems. This fix helps to alleviate that a bit.

Hope it works for ya. Good luck!

Last edited by coasterdigi; 03-06-10 at 02:11 AM.
coasterdigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-10, 01:12 AM   #6
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

Downloads: 362
Uploads: 30

Awesome tute! Doing this and will test after a quick drinkie-poe ;]
ddrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-10, 01:40 AM   #7
Tandrews
Nub

Downloads: 16

Just tried this out (btw, I have a GTX260M - so not underpowered. I also have not had any issues with any currently released game).

I set shadows off and did as suggested above. I "thiink" it helped. I still see the mouse lagging while moving, but it is not quite as bad (at least I think it isn't) as before.
Tandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-10, 02:14 AM   #8
coasterdigi
Sailor man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandrews View Post
Just tried this out (btw, I have a GTX260M - so not underpowered. I also have not had any issues with any currently released game).

I set shadows off and did as suggested above. I "thiink" it helped. I still see the mouse lagging while moving, but it is not quite as bad (at least I think it isn't) as before.
It's not so much a gpu processing power issue, as it is the way Nvidia handles rendering a software cursor. ATI cards don't really seem to have the problem. I've got dual 8800 GTs running in SLI, and I experience the problem, too.

Although, the lag in SH5 is NOTHING compared to ARMA 2. It's absolutely atrocious in that game.
Old 03-06-10, 02:29 AM   #9
gg5356
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

THANKS
Old 03-06-10, 12:21 PM   #10
coasterdigi
Sailor man

I saw a few more posts about this topic, so I'm bumping this.
Old 03-06-10, 01:02 PM   #11
ricochet82
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 48

same problem here, solved it with deactivating vsync in graphics options
ricochet82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-10, 05:17 PM   #12
piri_reis
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 115

I got this too, only when the FPS drops below 50.
Mouse smoothness is great in Nav.Map where fps is above 60. As soon as go in the CR or on the deck, the frames drop and I get a little lag.

System: Core2duo 3Ghz, 4GB, 9800GTX+ ,Win7_64

Settings: 1680x1050, No Vsync, Shadows none, AA medium

What I did was overclock my GPU a little and drop the pre-rendered frames to 1. (as explained in this thread)
Also in the CR if you close the hatches you'll get a nice 5-10fps boost.

So my final fps is 36-45 in port/action, CR 30-35, mouse lag bearable.

Lt.z.S. Barbaros Hayreddin, U-35, 2nd Flot/Kiel, Type VIIB
Oct.29.1939, 2nd Patrol Eastern English Waters
Running SH5/TWOS
piri_reis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-10, 06:02 PM   #13
gvogt12000
Watch

Downloads: 429
Default Mouse:

Thanks a million! I would never had been able to fix it.
gvogt12000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-12, 08:57 AM   #14
misha1967
Commander

Downloads: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricochet82 View Post
same problem here, solved it with deactivating vsync in graphics options
Ditto here, except I force disabled it in NVIDIA Control Panel for SH5. Worked like a charm, no lag whatsoever after that.

Not quite sure what vsync is supposed to be good for in this day and age anyway. Seems like a relic from the 20th century when people still had those enormous boxes for a screen. I think they were called "CRTs" or something

Of course, Ubi (or at least the SH series) have always had a problem with NVIDIA users, all the way back to SHIII. I remember only too well having to wait for "fixes" to our cards. Fixes that always showed up, I should add.

Anyway, kill the vsync and all should be well with the cursor.

Good to be back, by the way. I'd held off on SH5 for ages since it got such poor reviews on launch and I really didn't want to go through what I'd gone through with SHIII again, especially since my heavily modded SHIII works like a charm, so it's not like I couldn't get my Battle for the Atlantic fix

But I knew that I'd eventually get on board, particularly since I know from happy experience that the tireless work of the modders here at Subsim will ALWAYS come through, no matter what Ubi rushes out the door (and a huge shout out to the devs for keeping the platform open to that throughout all of its incarnations) and here I am. It was J-squared "Let's Plays" that finally got me. That and a visit to my old haunts here.

Once again, an enormous thank you to the modders without whom this niche of ours would be as dead as a doornail, a huge thanks to the devs for making sure that we can tinker with their toy to our hearts' contents, without which the modders would be unable to do anything and, of course, the biggest shoutout of all to "Uncle Neal" for keeping this community vibrant and alive throughout all of the years.

I guess I got sidetracked there a bit

POST EDIT: Hmm... Killing off the vsync didn't do it. Playing with the graphics settings, on the other hand, did. I found out it was only an FPS issue. Below 30=lag, above 30=fine to excellent. The reason I hadn't thought of that was that I'm not exactly under-powered myself, and I have yet to need to turn any settings down below "max" on everything. And fear not, even with settings less than max, it still looks better than anything else out there, not to mention that it doesn't really look all that different from what it looks like with settings to max.

Last edited by misha1967; 01-16-12 at 07:49 AM.
misha1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-13, 12:25 PM   #15
kenmacintosh
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0
Default Erratic cursor movement

I had problems with erratic cursor movement so severe that it was impossible to play the Silent Hunter 4. I replaced my nVidia 9400 card with an ATI Radeon HD7770 and now the cursor responds perfectly and the game is playable with all graphic enhancements enabled. Thanks to coasterdigi for bringing the nVidia problem to our attention.
kenmacintosh is offline   Reply With Quote