Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 03-17-10, 08:10 PM   #1
liadou2001
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default I think T34vsTiger better than SFK1942

Today i played both of them.

TvT is much better in Control, interface design and more enjoyful

SFK1942 makes me dizzy when i play it... the graphic is kind of dark and gloomy... the fight is not exciting as TvT.. so hard to paly...

Old 03-18-10, 03:55 AM   #2
frinik
Grey Wolf

Default TvsT versus SF

Laidou, I play both games and I enjoy each for it's own merits.TvsT has definitely nicer graphics but that's all.In term of gameplay, AI behaviour, atmosphere and variety SF wins hands down.

TvsT was intended - in my opinion - as a multiplayer game first and foremost. Which why there are only 12 basic missions whcih are designed to let the player get the hang of driving and operating the 2 playable tanks and get their feet wet to prepare for MP.The single missions are very simplistic, the AI behaviour is appalling( infantry running about like inarticulated dummies or headless chicken) and tanks making circles on the ground or standing passively while you shoot them to pieces.Unlike SF there's no game atmosphere, no shouts, no artillery strikes, little explosions, no planes straffing your tank or infantry tossing or firing at you, no night, or rainy missions .The only sound you hear is " Geladen " or " Zharizhay " or the occasional thumping shot.Even when hit the tanks explode in silence and the burning wrecks do not crackle.Because in MP these things dont' matter.It's tank against tank.Finally the misison editor is complex and not user-friendly which explains why the game was left moribund and very little modding (except limited to MP usage) was done.

SF by comparison offers now with all the mulitple mods, single missions and user-made missions between 2 to 300 different scenarios with winter settings (the winter mod), desert settings (the Afrika mod),night misisons, early morning missions, twilight, rain or fog.In addition to the 3 original playable tanks/vehicles there are dozen more; the Panzer IVF1, the Panzer III J and L, the Panzer IIC, the Stug III d, F and G, the Tiger I and II, the Hetzer, the Panther D, the T34-747(captured T34)the Skfz 251 and 232 with the Elefant, Jagdpanther, StugIV, Marder I and II, Wespe and more coming.On the Soviet side you have the the Mark III, T34/85, the T26, T38, T60, Bt10, Ba 5, the Js2 and Js 122, KV1 and KV 2 playable and more are coming : the SU 76, 85 and 100, the ISU122 and 152.The game atmosphere is wonderful with explosions, AI infantry that actually runs forward to attack, ducks shots, counterattacks, screams ,shout, shoot and toss grenades,mans the At guns and evacuates damaged tanks and armoured vehicles.You have artillery strikes and air strikes, the constant deafening sound of machine guns, carbines, tank , mortar, AT guns not tomention your commander voice identifying targets and the loader announcing the type of shell being loaded and ready to fire.SF is a Single player game only and very stable.Finalyl the big plus is a very easy-to-use misison editor which explains why despite both games being distributed by Lighthouse which went bankrupt Sf managed to thrive thanks to dedicated and passionate modders and players interest while TsvT was left virtually abandonned except by a handful of MP fans.

But the conclusion is each game is enjoyable for its own specific reasons. I play both despite preferring SF (I started with TvsT but having tried both SF comes on top in almost every aspect.However this could change with Zee Wolf avery dedicated and competent modfer on a one-man crusade to resurrect TvsT.My advice play both, enjoy each for what they are and don't compare too much because this is a case of apples and oranges.

He has shown what he can do after spending much time mastering the secrets of the game editor. His upcoming Kursk release at the end of March promises to be spectacular and revive TvsT. However it is not free and if you are interested then you'll have to pay( what will be a reasonable fee).I invite you the read the threads about Kursk and see the pics and get a feel of what ZW has accomplished.Go to his website and see what he has in stcok.You'll be impressed. BTW I am a proud ZW member so I bought into his mod because I believe he can deliver .

About SF you can access Tanksim.ru (a Russian website which can be translated into English ) where oyu'll find tons of mods for SF and other sims.There's also HQSim.com which has mods and here on this forum too you'll find resources and mods dedicated to SF

Cheers
frinik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-10, 12:43 PM   #3
ArmorEtr
Watch

Downloads: 1

In my opinion, it's not even close , SF is far better in every category, except obviously MP.
ArmorEtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-10, 01:54 AM   #4
frinik
Grey Wolf

Default Dark and gloomy graphics?

I absolutely agree with you ArmorEtr!SF is the best WWII tank sim around and probably will be for while.However, don't write off TvsT, I bet ZeeWolf is going to make that game a solid competitor and a viable alternative.

Anyway variety is always best!

Liadou2001 re your comments about SF graphics being dark and gloomy you may want to adjust the brightness,contrast and gamma settings in your game controls(under video settings.)That may explain why your game is gloomy and dark because mine is bright and clear.However, there are a few missions that take place in late evening or at night or on a rainy day.
Old 03-19-10, 11:36 PM   #5
liadou2001
Swabbie

I like TvT better because i feel TvT has much better game control, easy interface, i.e, small map and enemy searching are in the same screen.

The enemy in SFK1942 is hard to identify. Or, the commander just focusing too much on the each infantry...

Well... SFK has much more types of tank to play. This is good. but the interface design not good.

In TvT, everything is very clear and easy.
liadou2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-10, 08:01 AM   #6
frinik
Grey Wolf

Default SF vs T vsT

lLiadou 2001, it's a matter of taste.But just to show you how wrong you are I just craeted 5 user/made missions with Steel Fury mission editor in just 3 hours.Pitting Tigers and Panzer Ivs against T34/76 and 85, JS2s, KV 1s and 2s they are very action oriented and show how good the ngame is and easy to mod.I have out upwards of 35 tanks on the field.

With Tvst try playing with the mission editor and creating new mods or missions! Good luck!Once you've played the 12 single missions 20 times each what do you do?

However I believe ZeeWolf is going to revive this game and give it a new life with his Kursk mod.He's got talent and dedication and I am a member because I have faith he can save TvsT.

Mean while or until then there's no alternative to SF.But as I said everyone is entitled to their beliefs or likes.I don't decry TvsT because I have played it hundreds of times.

I'll make my user/made mssions available on teh Sf thread a bit later.