SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-30-17, 06:43 AM   #586
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendras View Post
This controller is used for destroyed models of the U-Boats' guns.

So, you have a 3D model that you want to be destroyed and replaced by a new 3D model or a special effect (particles). Link to this model a destructible damage boxe. Add the ObjectRemains controller as child of the node containing the 3D model. Specify the exact name of the node which will contain the new 3D model or effect. This node will be stored in a Library file.
Thanks, that's right the information I needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
I had this feeling...

The picture is a bit blurred, but the light/dark gray area at the base of the tower is likely the unpainted base, the lower portion of it looking darker because of fouling and algae caking it; conversely, it seems that the tower and the tower-top metal platform might have been painted black, and/or a color which might have appeared black on a B/W film, i.e. red. My best guess for the WWII-era painting is either plain red (that would be compatible with a red lateral mark) or black/red (isolated danger mark). What do you think?

Please let me know if you find any better picture or a description of what La Plate's painting and illumination color/phase might have been during the 30-40's
No remarks?
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-17, 06:55 AM   #587
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
it seems that the tower and the tower-top metal platform might have been painted black, and/or a color which might have appeared black on a B/W film, i.e. red. My best guess for the WWII-era painting is either plain red (that would be compatible with a red lateral mark) or black/red (isolated danger mark). What do you think?
Hard to say. Plain black is very unlikely. Maybe plain red. I don't think it was an isolated danger mark, else, they would have just added a simple buoy, and not built a whole concrete tower.

Edit : But a red tower with a green light ? (from 1911)

Last edited by Kendras; 08-30-17 at 07:13 AM.
Old 08-30-17, 11:46 AM   #588
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Hard to say. Plain black is very unlikely.
I agree

Quote:
Maybe plain red.
Maybe
Look at the picture below portraying the nearby Tourelle du Chat:

You can see a coat of what looks like a solid red paint under the current black/yellow paintwork. Other lighthouses or day beacons with solid red or mostly red paint (possibly used as lateral marks):

Tourelle Richelieu (La Rochelle)

Tourelle des Vignettes (Saint-Nazaire)

Tourelle du Pignon (Rivière de Penerf estuary)

Quote:
Edit : But a red tower with a green light ? (from 1911)
You are right, it makes little sense, unless the steady green light was replaced with something else on a later date...

Quote:
I don't think it was an isolated danger mark, else, they would have just added a simple buoy, and not built a whole concrete tower.
That's not so uncommon in especially dangerous areas, where the beacon and the light on top of it (if any) are better spotted from a longer distance than it is possible with an 'isolated danger' buoy:

Tourelle du Lavardin

Tourelle des Brillantes

Tourelle des Birvideaux

Tourelle du Soulard (Lorient)
Old 08-30-17, 11:50 AM   #589
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

From https://www.us-lighthouses.com/faq.php

Quote:
Q. Why are lighthouses painted differently? Do these designs represent something?
A. Lighthouses are painted different colors and designs to make them daymarks. So, if you were a Mariner out at sea during the day, you could look for the lighthouse. Let says for instance that you were off the coast of NC and you saw black and white swirling stripes down the lighthouse, you would then know that you were by Cape Hatteras. Or say you saw a lighthouse that had black and white diamond shapes on it....you would then know that you were farther south by Cape Lookout.

Q. If lighthouses are painted different to distinguish them during the day, how can you tell them apart in the dark?
A. Similar enough, each lighthouse also flashes a different sequence of light for the exact same reason. Cape Hatteras flashes a white light every 7.5 seconds. (The light actually rotates, but it gives the appearance of flashing from a distance.) Cape Lookout flashes a white light every 15 seconds. So, by scanning the horizon for the lighthouse, and then watching the light, you were able to figure out where on the seaboard you were.
All you need to find is the local "plan" for the lighthouses circa 1938 or so... easy peasy

The US University of North Carolina apparently has someone interested in lighthouses around the world:
https://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/lighthouse/
perhaps someone there could direct you to historical data?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-17, 01:04 PM   #590
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
That's not so uncommon in especially dangerous areas, where the beacon and the light on top of it (if any) are better spotted from a longer distance than it is possible with an 'isolated danger' buoy: ......
.... and here also : http://www.haka-spirit.net/spip.php?article159

Especially this sentence :

Quote:
La Grande Vinotière à laisser du côté que l’on veut.
Which means you can pass on the right or on the left of this red tower.

Quote:
You are right, it makes little sense, unless the steady green light was replaced with something else on a later date...
OK. I agree to choose plain red mask, with a west buoy light, or simply red fix light.
Old 08-30-17, 01:23 PM   #591
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
From https://www.us-lighthouses.com/faq.php

All you need to find is the local "plan" for the lighthouses circa 1938 or so... easy peasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
The US University of North Carolina apparently has someone interested in lighthouses around the world:
https://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/lighthouse/
perhaps someone there could direct you to historical data?
We know that website all too well: it is our main source of information

I have never thought of getting in touch with the guys at UNC. That's not a bad idea, though I suppose that the information we need is more easily found in some dusty French archive lol
Old 08-30-17, 01:51 PM   #592
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
I have never thought of getting in touch with the guys at UNC. That's not a bad idea, though I suppose that the information we need is more easily found in some dusty French archive lol
http://www.archives-finistere.fr/sit...ement_AD29.pdf

Probably in 4S ...
Old 08-31-17, 05:09 AM   #593
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
.... and here also : http://www.haka-spirit.net/spip.php?article159

Especially this sentence :

Which means you can pass on the right or on the left of this red tower.

OK. I agree to choose plain red mask, with a west buoy light, or simply red fix light.
What if, after all, the Tourelle de la Plate was painted dark green and the nearby Tourelle du Chat red? They might have marked the narrow navigable canal between the Chaussée de Sein and the Pointe du Raz (i.e. the Raz de Sein itself) as a couple of lateral marks rather than as cardinal marks. Does it make sense?

Quote:
Are those files accessible to the public?
Old 08-31-17, 05:38 AM   #594
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
What if, after all, the Tourelle de la Plate was painted dark green and the nearby Tourelle du Chat red? They might have marked the narrow navigable canal between the Chaussée de Sein and the Pointe du Raz (i.e. the Raz de Sein itself) as a couple of lateral marks rather than as cardinal marks. Does it make sense?

Yes.

Quote:
Are those files accessible to the public?
I think they are.
Old 08-31-17, 07:53 AM   #595
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Yes.
Probably the most logical configuration, and in accordance with the steady green light recorded for La Plate in 1911.
My one doubt is about the unusually dark shade of grey representing the lighthouse in the historical picture you have pointed me to. Human eye's spectral gamma and the one of B/W films are quite different. Usually, red shades look much darker on old B/W photographs than they would have looked to the nake eye, and conversely green shades are recorded as ligh grey, much lighter than the eye perceives them. This is especially true for old films and orthocromatic emulsions.
Going by the tone of grey seen on your picture, we should conclude that the lighthouse was painted red rather than green; nonetheless the picture might have been taken with a panchromatic film which is proportionally lesser sensitive to green than to red, and/or the green paint used on La Plate might have been unusually dark. The tower beeing photographed on the background of the brighter ocean surface, might also have enhanced the darkness of the tower, making it to appear as a silhouette...

Quote:
I think they are.
How? Were they digitized?
Old 08-31-17, 09:21 AM   #596
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Probably the most logical configuration, and in accordance with the steady green light recorded for La Plate in 1911.
My one doubt is about the unusually dark shade of grey representing the lighthouse in the historical picture you have pointed me to. Human eye's spectral gamma and the one of B/W films are quite different. Usually, red shades look much darker on old B/W photographs than they would have looked to the nake eye, and conversely green shades are recorded as ligh grey, much lighter than the eye perceives them. This is especially true for old films and orthocromatic emulsions.
Going by the tone of grey seen on your picture, we should conclude that the lighthouse was painted red rather than green; nonetheless the picture might have been taken with a panchromatic film which is proportionally lesser sensitive to green than to red, and/or the green paint used on La Plate might have been unusually dark. The tower beeing photographed on the background of the brighter ocean surface, might also have enhanced the darkness of the tower, making it to appear as a silhouette...
If you look very close to the photography, you can see something looking as a darker band on the tower :

perhaps a red band on a green tower, or a black band on a red tower ?
Old 08-31-17, 01:00 PM   #597
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
If you look very close to the photography, you can see something looking as a darker band on the tower :

perhaps a red band on a green tower, or a black band on a red tower ?
mmm... possible, but it is difficult to guess the exact paint scheme from those few pixels.
We definitely need a better picture, or a textual confirmation of our guesses.
Conversely, what seems already clear to me is that the gas tank/lantern platform had to look more similar to the drawings below than to the one seen in recent pictures

La Plate

Le Chat
Old 09-01-17, 05:24 AM   #598
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
bullhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvar1061 View Post
It seems I made him work.
First post updated with new lighthouses, and no more searchlights but naval bases, so you can see the names on your navigation map.
Old 09-01-17, 07:24 AM   #599
Anvar1061
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 846
Uploads: 0

Quote:
First post updated with new lighthouses, and no more searchlights but naval bases, so you can see the names on your navigation map.

Type 408 not defined for LHLaPlate!
Anvar1061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-17, 12:35 PM   #600
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvar1061 View Post

Type 408 not defined for LHLaPlate!
What are you testing Anvar?

Here with all the latest mod/patches, everything works fine

Quote:
Yesterday I have found this useful website, with accurate positions of many French lighthouses, navigation beacons and landmarks that we weren't even aware of:

http://test.chemineur.fr/viewtopic.php?t=4114