Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 04-26-10, 10:03 AM   #16
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinik View Post
Knightscross you can play Steel Beast Turm Aus meaning stripped of all the modern equipement turned off*
Knightscross,
on this detail frinik refers to, see the according essay you can find in postings #2 and #3 after the collection of links:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=88893

Quote:
I feel like I am being reincarnated as Skybird selling Steel Beast...
Never be sure of a Hun being dead as long as you have not seen his dead cold body...

Last edited by Skybird; 04-26-10 at 03:03 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-10, 12:52 AM   #17
KnightsCross
Bosun

Downloads: 0

G'Day again Gents
This is my first time on pc games. I'm slowly reading through your threads, they are very interesting but seem very confusing. I am finding that I have the same issues as many of you and I can see you have the fixes for these problems The pc I'm using is my sons and seems to just run the game in most levels and locks up in others, especially the last German mission.
I not confident enough to do anymore than read until I can get the hang of this stuff, plus I need to get my own pc which is a little out of reach for me at the moment.
This is a great site and all of your input is terrific, I would love to get one of the sub games SH5 seems to be the to get, at one stage in my career I thought of a transfer to subs so you can see my interest is real.
My passion remains with the Tiger 1 and I have posted some photos below of my, 1/16 Tiger S04 88 kills in winter cam, and 1/6 scratch build with my 105mm HEAT Prac round in front of it.

Tanks for your help so far
Darren
KnightsCross

Old 04-27-10, 11:37 AM   #18
morttheslayer
Soundman

Running TvsT

Hi Darren nice motor in the Garage!!

If you're having trouble running TvsT it could a huge number of reasons.

To improve in your case I'm sure all members have tips/advice but to give us a clue if you decide to try and improve, please publish your PC specs here; most crucially CPU type, GPU type/series, sound card (if any), RAM and software/OS.
You're wise to sit back and gather info though because you will probably be abe to tweak some settings yourself when you get confident.
And it won't be long because any man that that can file a Tiger from a solid block deservs great respect.

Silent Hunter 4 Gold is a good package at the moment (includes U Boat missions plus Pacific), with SH5 you need a permanent internet connection to play, and many posts critisize SH5 for not having the sim realism of the earlier series!
For what its worth Darren I am not qualified personally to criticise or praise the series as I don't own any SH games !! - but, I know a man who does!!!! Just some points maybe you might consider, apologies if you knew all this before.

Best Wishes - Mort
morttheslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-10, 06:01 PM   #19
KnightsCross
Bosun

G'Day Mort
I take it by "nice motor in the garage"you mean my bike ? its an XV1100 Yamaha, Black of course, my Wife has a matching XV250 and she wants a 650, we haven't had the funds to register them since 2001, 4 kids 23 21 20 18 last 1 leaving school soon WOOHOO ! then will shall be able to ,we hope 2 left home 2 to go, then its time to
Thanks for the heads up on SH4, for now I just want TvsT working and a cp of my own, so any help will be much appreciated as I have to do the best I can on this for now.

I dont know my way round a pc very well but I got this far, is it what you need ?

Windows XP
Home edition
Service Pack 3
AMD Athlon(tm)
1.15GHz,512MB of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
Audio Codecs
Vidio Codecs
Legacy Audio Drivers
Legacy Vidio Capure Devices
Virtual Memory 766MB Recommended, 1536MB Allocated
C drive has 149GB ,30GB Free
Tanks Again
Darren
Old 04-29-10, 03:56 PM   #20
morttheslayer
Soundman

Kids and other stuff all reassuringly expensive

Hi Darren
Yes it's good to have children, they say it keeps you young but with me the opposite occurred!!
Looking at your specs it's would seem a mixture of good and bad news.
First the good news your Hard Disk looks OK

No I'm having a joke mate, generally your system is a bit light especially for TvsT. What I would do is see how far you can optimise what you've got to see if you can survive until you can upgrade or get a newer PC.
Firstly you have a good OS for TvsT IMO. When you bring up Task Manager (Cntrl Alt Delete) how many processes are running and what are they taking in resources? I get slowdowns and my system isn't a slouch by any means and I run TvsT with just 18 background (essential) processes or applications.
I can post my apps running if yours are top heavy (i.e. you've got 30-40 apps running) and you can shut some of yours down and see if my apps work for you OK.
Mostly it should but there is some trial and error. You can safely turn off a significant number to improve or free up spare capacity. The worst you can do with this is cause a shutdown which will not harm the system at all it will re-start as normal - all you need to do if it does this is keep that particular app running next time!
Then bottom out all the Game options like shadows, model detail, forest animation, grass etc etc. Horrible to contemplate I know but must be tried to see what the performance can translate into gameplay and FPS.
I apologise in advance if you have already tried this BTW.
However if not let me know what you find, and what you decide
- All the Best - Mort
Old 04-30-10, 04:10 AM   #21
KnightsCross
Bosun

Tanks Mort
Just had a look at the gobbledegook that is Task Manager
I have 31 processors running ! oh boy wotzwot
Yes please to this offer
"I can post my apps running if yours are top heavy (i.e. you've got 30-40 apps running) and you can shut some of yours down and see if my apps work for you OK."

I do bottom out most of the game options and this does make a big difference
Thank you for your help Mate
Darren
KnightsCross
Old 04-30-10, 02:48 PM   #22
morttheslayer
Soundman

KC apps running in XP Task Mangler

G'day Mate:
Tasks left running are:18 in number

rundle32.exe 4,256K
rundle32.exe 4,192K
svchost.exe 3,692K
SixEngine.exe 18,460K
This app is specifically for my Asus Motherboard high performance setting!
so N/A for you
explorer.exe 20,368K
svchost.exe 2,752K
svchost.exe 16,276K
svchost.exe 4,068K
taskmgr.exe 4,292K
svchost.exe 3,344K
nvsvc32.exe 4,704K
Isass.exe 1,044K
services.exe 3,132K
winlogon.exe 2,708K
csrss.exe 3,028K
smss.exe 388K
System 240K
System Idle Process System 28K

This works for me - ignore SixEngine as said

All the best - Mort
Old 04-30-10, 03:05 PM   #23
KnightsCross
Bosun

Thank you Mort
will give this a go and let you know how I go
Do you raise you TvsT processor setting ? mine is set "below normal"
Darren
KnightsCross
Old 04-30-10, 04:56 PM   #24
morttheslayer
Soundman

Running TvsT better

Hi Darren

When you say do you raise the TvsT processor setting I assume you mean my PC processor (In Other Words my intel chip!); if so, the answer is yes. I have 3 settings of which I set it to Turbo (or some such waz!) anyway the highest of the three.
Overclockers recommend the BIOS setting but I'm just using an Asus m/b bit of software (comes with the m/b drivers etc) as a little utility programme. It won't give you big increases as it's very conservative and it suits me at present. If I go for some heavier overclocking I'll alter the BIOS if I feel I need more grunt.

Cutting down the background apps will free up more processor power for TvsT (and any other game actually) but as others have rightly said your system will barely cope with the demands of the game. Having said that I am hoping with everything optimised as much as you can and setting the gameplay options to low there will be a chance you can get it to run. If not succesful it will have to be (IMO) a new system, since upgrading what you have won't be worth it.

Best of Luck with this

Mort
Old 05-01-10, 03:12 PM   #25
KnightsCross
Bosun

G'Day Mort
Thanks for your help,been out of action for a day my injuries caught up with me
I'm sure your recommendations helped, I've been able to play as the gunner all the way to the end of a game. I can usually play only one game before I reset and clean with crap cleaner, small concession but this stops the game going haywire. What a shame we have to bottom out the game options, it looks great with them maxed out but I don't get far, at least I know what I'm missing.
I can play with your apps + one [18]which is some sort of system app that keeps turning itself back on so I figure it needs to stay on..I also have an external program called Tune Up Utilities, which has a turbo mode, I find this helps also. So now with this and your app settings, I can play all positions with minimal disruption, it's great being able to play the gunners pos
As for a new system, being on a pension there's not much play money and I can't get a loan, I can do one of those rent till you buy things but you end up paying through the nose, I'm putting a little bit away each week and should have enough in around 10 to 12 mths.
I really appreciate yours and the forums help, so thank you
Darren
KnightsCross

One more thing, ahhh come back it's not that bad LOL, sometimes for a change of scenery I go onto multilayer, I note everyone seems to have problems with this, I can play with no problem against 1 bot for up to 1/2 hr and then it shuts down my pc I crapped myself the first time ! but I just start up again, clean and all is well. It's funny that I appear to have less problems while playing multi until it abruptly shuts down, this is just an observation for you !
Old 05-01-10, 04:22 PM   #26
morttheslayer
Soundman

G'day KC

Hi Darren
Sorry to hear you've been crook mate. I get a small problem from time to time too it's a pain in the ar** called Mrs Panzer Commander

Joking - I got a ruptured/herniated disc after (can you believe) getting fit!!!! . Had all sorts even an operation (laminectomy) but get trouble if I overdo it.
Anyway I certainly hope your a bit better.
It's a real bummer cutting all the visuals down but it might be the only way to get this workable until you get upgraded. It's the nature of the game - have you also tried Karkov Steel Fury. Not as good but would probably run and look much better on your m/c - look up screenshots I think you'll like it too. I too am on a pension now so I know you've got to make the best of what you've got sometimes. To be practicle though you only have to look at the systems other guys have got and see they're not getting massive performance out of their systems either. I'm happier you can run it anyway, even if it's a bit "neutered".

Quote - "One more thing --aaaah come back it's not that bad !!
I like that - you got a good sense of humour and I should say "Oh No!! not a another bl***y come back merchant more bl***y grief!!"

No Darren I don't play MP anything actually. Probably missing out on some aspects but I like SP (if it cuts it!!) but I can see the obvious attraction of "human" opponents.
Good to know you've got something positive and I am happy to help if I can. Can I quote you as a satisfied customer?? Most people I help usually commit Hari Kari
All the Very Best for now - Mort
Old 05-03-10, 12:42 PM   #27
KnightsCross
Bosun

Hi Mort
I had a look at Karkov Steel Fury 1942 and decide to splurge on myself and get it, I'll let you know when I get it [it's coming from USA] about 10days or so
Tanks again for your help

Darren
KnightsCross
Old 05-03-10, 02:06 PM   #28
KnightsCross
Bosun

Default Those Bloody Disc's

In 1993, I was classed A Grade fitness in the Army. I was an Assault Troop Instructor and having a great year. I was awarded The Soldiers Medallion for Exemplary Service and told I was going to Somalia as a Crew Commander AFV. Sounds good so far, I thought it was my year, well like you I buggered L4/5/S1 disc's, all I did was pick up a 30kg box of paper, dam, that was something I did almost daily. Some years after that I had a driver go through a red light and hit me on my motorbike, I'm lucky to be here, but that is a whole other story, this one left me with C4/5/6 in the neck and nerve damage. So I suppose I can say I understand your pain, although I don't think that's much of an achievement.LOL

Somalia Story
My mates that went over come back with a wealth of experiences, one of them goes like this
On one of the roads they had set up a road block, at night 2 men maned the boom, while the rest of them rested or slept inside a mud brick hut [another 7 men]. This went on for about 3 weeks and this particular night they all decided to sleep outside the hut along the wall. Around 3am they were awakened by load explosions and covered in debris
They reacted quickly and captured 3 insurgents on the other side of the hut after they had each thrown grenades into the hut. Apparently they were shocked to see them still alive as they had been watching them go into the hut. They were also taking fire from another group who escaped into the night. This other group must have told there story as they thought they saw it, [ ie grenades went into the hut and the Aussies came running out], because the local rumor went around that the Australians were bullet proof and you cant kill them
Sometimes it's good to be lucky
These men were first into Somalia, before the US & Black Hawk Down

Darren
Old 05-03-10, 10:59 PM   #29
frinik
Grey Wolf

Default Steel Fury user made misisons

Hey Knightscross once you get Steel Fury and get all the mods installed including the Tiger 1.0 if you're interested I'll email you 30 or so user-made missions I 've made involving the Tiger I tank against T34/85, JS2s, KV1s and 2s and T34/76.My missions are just huge tank battles ( my latest one involves 120 tanks fighting it out !).With another ZW member we've made some missions as well and I modified russian-made user missions into German ones.If you like shootouts, actions and want to practice your marksmanship you'll like them.Just let me know

Cheers
frinik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-10, 03:52 AM   #30
KnightsCross
Bosun

Wow frinik
That sounds excellent
Is the Tiger mod a playable tank ? that will get me going
Sounds like you have done a lot of work on this game, well done.
I am really looking forward to this game after Mort recommended it, and now with your mods it
sounds even better
Thank you
Darren
KnightsCross