SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-27-17, 04:35 AM   #1
Stewy1
Girt by Sea

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 32

Default Thank you Chazly for the streams!

Hey Chazly,

Just wanted to say a big thank you for uploading the streams of your missions to YouTube!

I watched all of the (long!) mission where you were in the Seawolf and sank an Oscar while protecting an ARG. I learned a lot - and also enjoyed your commentary (and the Hunt for Red October quotes!)

Definitely keen to watch more!

Thanks heaps mate,
Stew
Stewy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-17, 12:58 PM   #2
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

You are welcome! Expect more soon

(p.s. I'm open to good mission recommendations )

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-17, 04:13 AM   #3
Stewy1
Girt by Sea

Thanks Chazly,

I'm starting to dabble more in mission making - but I need a good few hours to make a mission 'good' (some random options to make it 'playable' more than once, linking it to real historical events, realistic naval messages and including some 'twists' to make it interesting)

Now that I have a good 'bank' of maps (Kola, East Timor, Korea, China, South China Sea, etc.), I can get to it.

Considering you played the 'search for a Kilo that could be anywhere on the Birdwood Bank' mission, I think I could make a better mission!

Cheers mate,
Stew

Old 10-30-17, 04:27 PM   #4
speed150mph
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 35
Uploads: 0

Hey stewy, as I commented in his kilo video, I have a good idea for a mission for you to build.

Last week there was that story about the russian kilo Krasnodar that was launching LAMs at Syria and dodging all sorts of NATO patrols trying to find her and get a good feel for her signature including helos from a nimitz carrier group, a squadron of P8's out of Italy, and a couple of ddg. Probably some NATO subs involved too.

This would be one heck of a mission or mission series. Based on real life events, involves missiles, and running from a bunch of ships, subs, and aircraft scouring the sea looking for you. It's seems fun and challenging, a real test to those skippers that think their tough ****.
Old 10-30-17, 05:50 PM   #5
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

I am afraid stewy1 is only mapmaker - not mission maker.
He didn't relase any mission yet, but i still have hope because that:
Quote:
Now that I have a good 'bank' of maps (Kola, East Timor, Korea, China, South China Sea, etc.), I can get to it.
...and this:
Quote:
I'm starting to dabble more in mission making - but I need a good few hours to make a mission 'good' (some random options to make it 'playable' more than once, linking it to real historical events, realistic naval messages and including some 'twists' to make it interesting)
...will result in the release of first scenario quite soon

BTW: @speed150mph your proposition means long time single mission in peace time with LAM attack? Have you something more specific in mind? Detecting kilo means mission failure or what?
p7p8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-17, 04:30 AM   #6
Stewy1
Girt by Sea

Thanks Speed for that info. I have already updated my Syria map to include the real Russian operating areas (and real targets in Syria). That would be a good idea for a mission. Though as soon as you launch a land-attack missile, you're detected - that could make things hairy! Leave it with me!

P7, not sure if you're going with the whole 'trash-talk' angle, but rest assured I've done a fair bit of reading into recent naval history and have read the 'mission editor' manual back to front. Time is the biggest issue - but I'll see what I can come up with over the weekend.

Some of the best 'personal' missions I've made are more 'secret squirrel' ops, where you've done well if you don't have to fire a shot - I'm not sure if that's got a wide appeal - but we'll see.

Cheers gents,
Stew

Last edited by Stewy1; 10-31-17 at 04:38 AM.
Old 10-31-17, 05:19 AM   #7
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewy1 View Post
Some of the best 'personal' missions I've made are more 'secret squirrel' ops, where you've done well if you don't have to fire a shot - I'm not sure if that's got a wide appeal - but we'll see.
Where are your missions and tah best one with SECOPS? In downolad section i see only maps.

Is it way to test your missions? I can help you with editor (like before) but i need to see something - not only promising words.

Map for scenario is very important but starting mission designing from placing all citys, borders of training area, etc. is like starting painting from making frame to clear canvas. From my observations most of players don't wanna hundreds of city names on map - nobody reads that! Also drawings are uwelcome during complex scenarios.

For example screens from typical MP game:
Visible line of land (very useful for surf and air units) and city name.

...but usualy it looks like this:

So "clear" map is also very important for good scenario. Placing to much useless stuff on map just isn't good thing.
Old 10-31-17, 02:39 PM   #8
speed150mph
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 35
Uploads: 0

You guys are correct. You would be detected as soon as you fire missiles. But is there anyway that you can set up the triggers to set "break contact" as an objective?

That would be more challenging. You've fired missiles, and were detected by an American Recon satellite. They have vectored some MPA's, helos are incoming from the Carrier, the CV battlegroup has detached a couple DDG, flash traffic got sent to a 688 in the area.

As the peacetime enemy swarms your last known area, your mission is to break contact and stay undetected until you have exited a designated area.

If you think about it, it's even somewhat of a multi wave type of mission, since the different platforms will be coming from different areas, some will come early and some coming later. Probably it would go P8's first, then the GW's MH-60's, then either the burkes or the 688, depending on approach speed and distance from your location.
Old 10-31-17, 07:17 PM   #9
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

It looks interesting as a screenplay but for Kilo driver that kind of mission will be very boring. Kilo haven't chance for breaking contact in open seas. Any MPA can drop sonobuoys around and track submarine several hours. In real it could be posssible only with heavy weather change but in DW it is impossible. Other option is heavy civilian traffic but nobody launch LAM attack close to other ships and few more ships aren't problem for AI.

Breaking contact can be implemented by checking detection triggers in time interval. For example 30 minutes or more. It requires different triggers for each discret time value.

US forces should be in "peace time". In war time AI will engage Kilo immediatly.

In my opinion main problem is to make scenario interesting for player. Giving Kilo information about breaking or holding contact is unrealistic. It means, you will spend several hours doing nothing interesting and after this time your only prize will be message "good work/bad work".