SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS > Mods Workshop for Cold Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-20-17, 12:42 PM   #16
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1

New update is on the way.
-Added towed array (BQR-25) to the Skate class (1984)
-Added Sailfish class SS (former SSR)
-Added Greyback class LPSS (former SSG)
-4 and 5 blade props added to various other subs (mostly older GUPPY/Fleeboat)
-using mast data from PRS Mod, all masts and periscopes should now be visable

This just about wraps things up (still looking at what I can do for DC diagrams). I've toyed with the idea of possibly adding the George Washington class after SSN conversion but these were all-but phased out by 1984.

Also toying with the idea of doing a conventional UUM-44 SUBROC featuring a Mk 44 torpedo. This was actually planned and canceled when it was determined that due to the Mk 44's limited range and speed it would have a negligible kill probability against most Soviet nuclear subs especially when the CEP (circular error probability) and somewhat imprecise nature of long-range (convergence-zone) sonar at the time is taken into account.

There was also to be a Mk46 SUBROC, this was cancelled due to budget-cuts incurred during the Vietnam war but this requirement was ultimately pushed into the STAM/Perseus program and then Sea Lance after STAM/Perseus was cancelled.

Also, while I have thought about possibly creating some of the 1960s Boomers, its really pretty impossible to fit them into a campaign as currently constructed. While not compatible with the 1980s campaign, I do have some "interesting" ideas about what would amount to a 1960s era survival mission in the Norwegian Sea.

As far as I know, for submarines based out of Holy Loch in the 60s, their 1500-2500 mile missile range would put their patrol area inside the "warzone" that is currently in the game. Despite tensions and so on, I think that it would be a necessity to keep these boats on patrol to provide a viable "second strike" option against the Soviets (as removing them would likely embolden Soviet aggression since it would make the deterrent that much weaker). It might be an interesting if somewhat boring idea to command one of these boomers and play hide-and-seek in your patrol area during wartime. The ultimate objective would be to never get detected at all and get through a 60 day patrol, but obviously this would make for some downright tedious gameplay. The flip-side to that though, if cornered and forced to fight its way out on its own, how would a boomer break contact and evade, I think that could be pretty fun.

Last edited by The Bandit; 07-20-17 at 02:53 PM.
The Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-17, 04:17 PM   #17
goldfish716
Sailor man

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0

Lot of stuff in here. I like the in-class variations.

I suggest you use the permit rudder for the Barbel. If you are on the discord server, I can also give you my (early) version that is black with bowplanes rather than sailplanes and you can take whatever you like.

Also, it would make the diesels feel new if you retextured them. I started to do them the other day, but I don't like to play the early stuff as much, so I didn't.
goldfish716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-17, 06:25 PM   #18
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfish716 View Post
Lot of stuff in here. I like the in-class variations.

I suggest you use the permit rudder for the Barbel. If you are on the discord server, I can also give you my (early) version that is black with bowplanes rather than sailplanes and you can take whatever you like.

Also, it would make the diesels feel new if you retextured them. I started to do them the other day, but I don't like to play the early stuff as much, so I didn't.
Thanks for the offer I'll see what I can do. I never thought about the rudder. I may be incorrect on this (and please correct me if I am) by my main reason for not doing the bow-mounted fins is that they were dispensed with by 1968. For most if not all (few exceptions being the Thresher, the 688 VLS and the hypotheticals) they fit either the 1968 or 1984 timeline.

I have toyed around with using the Permit dive-planes on some of the diesels, and may be able to get that working at some point.

As far as the textures go, I agree with you that new textures would make them look the part but, I'd rather use a different black texture than what's in the PRS mod. It looks great on the stuff that Ramius and Captainx3 have been able to do, maybe its just vanity but I'd like the stuff in this mod to look different, if that makes any sense. I've gotten a lot of config data from PRS (this mid is not possible without it) I'd rather let them keep the cool black look, even though they'd probably gladly share it with me.

Even if its not really correct, do you know of any "dark grey" texture or where exactly I would look for different textures I could try, because you are right, just about anything that would make them look different from Russian submarines would be a good change.
Old 07-20-17, 07:02 PM   #19
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189

The Skipjack's model file includes a 5-blade prop. The meshname is usn_ssn_skipjack_prop5
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-17, 07:13 PM   #20
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julhelm View Post
The Skipjack's model file includes a 5-blade prop. The meshname is usn_ssn_skipjack_prop5
Wow, thanks! I'll get that into the next update and try using it for the Thresher as well.
Old 07-21-17, 05:29 AM   #21
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

mod updated
Old 07-21-17, 02:36 PM   #22
goldfish716
Sailor man

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bandit View Post
Thanks for the offer I'll see what I can do. I never thought about the rudder. I may be incorrect on this (and please correct me if I am) by my main reason for not doing the bow-mounted fins is that they were dispensed with by 1968. For most if not all (few exceptions being the Thresher, the 688 VLS and the hypotheticals) they fit either the 1968 or 1984 timeline.
I have no idea of the year. I just saw they were built with them, and later changed. I did it for the fun of changing it.

As for textures, I think all the Russian textures are interchangeable for the most part. You can use Delta IV for black with red bottom. Can use alpha for grey, or Ocsar for dark grey. Some are better matches than others.

You can monitor each change in the unit reference without reloading the game. Just arrow away, then back to the boat in question.

I don't know of a way to do anything lighter than the black we use with the Barbel though. I can do blue and purple... lol.
Old 07-23-17, 06:18 AM   #23
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Quote:
I have no idea of the year. I just saw they were built with them, and later changed. I did it for the fun of changing it.

As for textures, I think all the Russian textures are interchangeable for the most part. You can use Delta IV for black with red bottom. Can use alpha for grey, or Ocsar for dark grey. Some are better matches than others.

You can monitor each change in the unit reference without reloading the game. Just arrow away, then back to the boat in question.

I don't know of a way to do anything lighter than the black we use with the Barbel though. I can do blue and purple... lol.
Not having much luck with getting the textures to work, but yeah the blue might be worth a try if its dark enough.

You're on point with the Permit-style rudder for the Barbel as well, that does more resemble how they looked. I didn't notice but did you also have the dive-planes pushed up to near the front of the sail?
Old 07-23-17, 05:00 PM   #24
goldfish716
Sailor man

I had the dive planes on the bow for the early model. I didn't touch them for the 84 model.

I haven't found a use for the blue and purple yet. They are from the environment folder:

"environment/sky/Day_Clear"

and others like that. You can see clouds in some of them. I will let you know if I find anything that might be useful.

Also you can use "terrain/sand" for a sandy color, but haven't seen much use for that yet either.
Old 07-25-17, 03:06 PM   #25
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Quote:
I had the dive planes on the bow for the early model. I didn't touch them for the 84 model.

I haven't found a use for the blue and purple yet. They are from the environment folder:

"environment/sky/Day_Clear"

and others like that. You can see clouds in some of them. I will let you know if I find anything that might be useful.

Also you can use "terrain/sand" for a sandy color, but haven't seen much use for that yet either.
Had some better results, you should like the next update
"environment/sky/Night_Overcast" is a good one, hull is a little on the dark blue side but it can work. How do I get into the "texture folder" because I'm thinking the texture for smoke may be worth a try.
Old 07-27-17, 07:23 AM   #26
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

So another new update is in the works. After sitting down and thinking about it, I decided to create the "41 for Freedom" SSBNs, so that means we're looking at the George Washington (sadly using the Skipjack model but in both SSBN and SSN variations) Ethan Allen (already created the SSN and SSGN variations) Lafayette (68 and 84 also includes the James Madison class) and Ben Franklin (68 and 84).

None of these have ballistic missiles because I'm not even sure if that can be done and even if it could be the game-play value would be nearly non-existent. Also I don't plan on putting any of the SSBNs in the campaign files because, frankly they don't make sense in that role (strategic asses are not going to be used to fight the war, unless they get the launch order to flatten Russia) but they could make for some fun single missions / evasion.

Also I'm toying with yet another hypothetical design, the FAS (Future Attack Submarine) SSN. Due to cost-overruns during the 1970s there was a concerted effort to develop a more affordable alternative to the Los Angeles class.

Also adding new weapons
UUM-44B SUBROC- Non nuclear Mk44 carrying stand off weapon. The Mk 44 is about as good as the Mk 37 aim your shots carefully and don't count on them to work miracles.

UUM-84 Tarpon- Hypothetical ASW weapon which was based off the AGM/UGM/RGM-84 and carrying a Mk 46 torpedo

Mk 44 torpedo
Mk 46 Mod 5 torpedo.
Old 07-31-17, 01:31 PM   #27
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

MOD UPDATE
new release on page 1
Old 08-07-17, 02:21 AM   #28
Electric Boat
Watch

Downloads: 53
Default US submarines 3D models

For those who could be interested to I have quite the whole list of Cold War Era US Submarines accurately reproduced from blueprints:

Ethan Allen class SSBN
Lafayette class SSBN
Benjamin Franklin class SSBN
James Madison class SSBN
Ohio class SSBN

Barbel class SS

Permit class SSN;
Permit Improved SSN;
Jack SSN-605 (original with contra-rotating propellers and longer tail);
Sturgeon Improved SSN;
Narwhal SSN-671 (Sturgeon-like one-of-a-kind unit with larger diameter hull and intakes in the stern horizontal planes' roots);
Parche SSN-683 (with modified hull for X-OPS and fwd turtleback);
Glenard P. Lipscomb SSN-685 (Sturgeon with longer hull);
Los Angeles "688" class SSN (SSNs 688-718);
Los Angeles VLS class SSN (SSNs 719-725+750, complete with bow VLS tubes and hatches);
Los Angeles Improved SSN (SSNs 751-773, diving planes moved from sail to bow and reshaped, aft "wings" with pods, bow VLS tubes and hatched);

Another "eye candy" I modeled is the "Tapping Pod" used in "Ivy Bell" operations to eavesdrop comms on submarine cables...

Of course I also produced all the weaponry available in US Navy's inventory at the time:

Mk-44
Mk-46
Mk-45 ASTOR;
Mk-48 Mod. 3/4/5 ADCAP;

UUM-44 ASCROC;
UUM-125 A/B Sea Lance;

UGM-84 Harpoon
UGM-109A TLAM-N (nuclear tipped Tomahawk);
UGM-109B TASM (antiship Tomahawk);
UGM-109C TLAM (HE conventional WH Tomahawk);
UGM-109D TLAM (BLU-97 bomblet armed cluster Tomahawk).

All that stuff was originally produced by me for employ in Dangerous Waters but by having the native ".max" and ".3ds" files I can convert them into whatever else format (once established the one used in "Cold Waters").
Possibly many other "polygonal charge" previously limited by inherent limitations of the DW's 3D-Engine can be used to furtherly improve the accuracy of these models).

Last edited by Electric Boat; 08-07-17 at 02:55 AM.
Electric Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-17, 03:22 AM   #29
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189

Do you have some screenshots of them? The CW subs are built in quite specific way because of how I go about mapping and texturing them.
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-17, 08:08 PM   #30
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Boat View Post
For those who could be interested to I have quite the whole list of Cold War Era US Submarines accurately reproduced from blueprints:

Ethan Allen class SSBN
Lafayette class SSBN
Benjamin Franklin class SSBN
James Madison class SSBN
Ohio class SSBN

Barbel class SS

Permit class SSN;
Permit Improved SSN;
Jack SSN-605 (original with contra-rotating propellers and longer tail);
Sturgeon Improved SSN;
Narwhal SSN-671 (Sturgeon-like one-of-a-kind unit with larger diameter hull and intakes in the stern horizontal planes' roots);
Parche SSN-683 (with modified hull for X-OPS and fwd turtleback);
Glenard P. Lipscomb SSN-685 (Sturgeon with longer hull);
Los Angeles "688" class SSN (SSNs 688-718);
Los Angeles VLS class SSN (SSNs 719-725+750, complete with bow VLS tubes and hatches);
Los Angeles Improved SSN (SSNs 751-773, diving planes moved from sail to bow and reshaped, aft "wings" with pods, bow VLS tubes and hatched);

Another "eye candy" I modeled is the "Tapping Pod" used in "Ivy Bell" operations to eavesdrop comms on submarine cables...

Of course I also produced all the weaponry available in US Navy's inventory at the time:

Mk-44
Mk-46
Mk-45 ASTOR;
Mk-48 Mod. 3/4/5 ADCAP;

UUM-44 ASCROC;
UUM-125 A/B Sea Lance;

UGM-84 Harpoon
UGM-109A TLAM-N (nuclear tipped Tomahawk);
UGM-109B TASM (antiship Tomahawk);
UGM-109C TLAM (HE conventional WH Tomahawk);
UGM-109D TLAM (BLU-97 bomblet armed cluster Tomahawk).

All that stuff was originally produced by me for employ in Dangerous Waters but by having the native ".max" and ".3ds" files I can convert them into whatever else format (once established the one used in "Cold Waters").
Possibly many other "polygonal charge" previously limited by inherent limitations of the DW's 3D-Engine can be used to furtherly improve the accuracy of these models).
Hey, if we can ever figure out a way to do that I'd love to feature any of the assets you've made however I think you're on the right track talking to Julhelm. As far as I'm concerned, the more of my mod that KFG makes obsolete, the better