SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-15-13, 03:11 PM   #1
allievo
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
"Cannot locate file sh3.exe in this folder."

Ahoi! If I try to install h.sie's Realism- and gameplay-related hardcode fixes for SH3.exe, I get a message like "cannot locate file sh3.exe in this folder". It always happens when I'm starting HsieOptionsSelector.exe just after I'd patched my original sh3.exe with Patch_SH3.bat. It successfully creates a patched version but the aforementioned HsieOptionsSelector.exe simply ignores it even though it's surely there.
http://kepfeltoltes.hu/view/130715/1115030839N_vtelen_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg
I'd be very very grateful if somebody of this great community could help me solve this annoying problem.
Old 07-16-13, 05:20 AM   #2
desertstriker
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 998
Uploads: 0

probably your virus software or firewall because the way it works is via code injection and the above programs don't like it. you don't have to completely disable just white-list or add it to the ignore list
desertstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-13, 08:59 AM   #3
Mikemike47
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1078
Uploads: 6

Maybe the patch program or Patch_SH3.bat is looking for the original file. Perhaps you have to start over with the patches. Rename sh3.exe to sh3.exe.new. Rename sh3.old to sh3.exe. Run the patch program again.
Mikemike47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-13, 10:32 AM   #4
allievo
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemike47 View Post
Maybe the patch program or Patch_SH3.bat is looking for the original file. Perhaps you have to start over with the patches. Rename sh3.exe to sh3.exe.new. Rename sh3.old to sh3.exe. Run the patch program again.
Did everything you said but it still writes the same message. Does it count where I installed the game itself: Program Files or outside (Win7) or which folder I do the patching (because of writing permission)?
Old 07-16-13, 12:26 PM   #5
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Program Files could be the cause, as Windows tries to prevent other programs from messing with other files in there. Even doing this as an administrator you might have bad luck. Best advice is when you are modding games or what not, ... keep them out of Program Files.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-13, 03:50 AM   #6
allievo
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

In my final despair I decided to completely reinstall my OP system and it solved the problem so it works like a charm now. I still cannot imagine what caused this trouble but if any of you have an idea, I'll be eager to read your explanation.
Old 07-17-13, 06:02 AM   #7
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

allievo, do you have the patched sh3.exe and HsieOptionsSelector.exe in the same folder? And is it the folder that HsieOptionsSelector.exe unpacked into, that contains all the HsieOptionsSelector.exe support files? H.sie's instructions must be followed exactly. I don't mean to belittle your competence, but there are a number of small things that, done wrong, could give you the error message.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-13, 12:26 PM   #8
allievo
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I think I found out what was the problem. I'm almost sure it was my anti-virus software which marked my sh3.exe file as a threat and that's why the OptionsSelector couldn't locate it. After all, I shouldn't have to reinstall my whole Op system, all I really had to do was just disabling my anti-virus software for a couple of minutes and in that way could've done the patching without a single trouble. But it doesn't matter, at least I learned something new this day, too.
Old 07-17-13, 06:25 PM   #9
desertstriker
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 998

again it will have been flagged because of the method of patching is a code injector and virus programs don't like it when programs do that as i had said in post 2.
desertstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-13, 08:28 AM   #10
Andrewsdad
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 80

Salute !!

I have just recently had my AVG Anti-Virus start quarantining my Hsie SH3.exe as well.

I guess some update on AVG was the reason that this just started since I have run Hsie's mod for a long time.

AD
Andrewsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-17, 04:35 PM   #11
chipsranger
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 759
Default Registry Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by allievo View Post
In my final despair I decided to completely reinstall my OP system and it solved the problem so it works like a charm now. I still cannot imagine what caused this trouble but if any of you have an idea, I'll be eager to read your explanation.
Hello friend, many times and the registry of corrupted windows is impossible to install anything I had a similar problem, instead of desperate formatting the PC I solved removing problematic keys in registry of windows 7 Professional.
chipsranger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
error, error message, sh3.exe, v16b1