SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > UBOAT
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-02-19, 03:21 AM   #1
Rickster1
Chief

Downloads: 508
Uploads: 0
Default My views.

I have been watching this game progress over the last few months and then watching the backers streams and I was really looking forward to release date but I knew what would happen at ea release , the developers I think tried to do too much in the last week and created some problems that were not there before. Any way as expected many bought it and expected SH type game which it clearly is not and then just slaged it off . I agree there are alot of bugs still but each day for some time now a new patch is released to try and get rid of them. I PERSONALLY tried to jump in and play it like a sh game and its not I had to take my time and remember its about the crew and i am quite happy its not automated. I am glad I paid £20 for this game and can see great potiental as the developers ( I hope) get it to a finished game and then release the code for modding later in the year. So in conclusion not for everyone but defo for me.
Rickster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-19, 06:47 AM   #2
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 11

Fair assessment there ^ yes it not Silent hunter and it doesn't play like it. Its just different. Its got along way to go still, it still has many bugs, its needs more content, and it still needs to fully reconcile the two play styles its attempting to merge.
its NOT more or less of a sim or an arcade that SH - those are really crass and abstract terms that really don't mean anything - except highlight the preferences of the indervidual who is casting them.

The big difference though is this, The SH games were put out when considered complete and stable enough by the Publisher, they got 1 to 4 patches and that was that - no more.
But with Uboat, we have an early access period were devs are reading and responding to feedback, patching almost daily sometimes. incorporating requested features where its doable or practical. Those who stick with it and put the time in, will help influence the games future.

So many passionate Uboat and B.O.A/WW2 fanatics have already been helping to push the game towards better historical accuracy, in many ways.
I've personally been modelling Coastal Command Aircraft for the team which they can use in game. and also providing as much data & research as possible. They are just a 3 man team and appreciate all the support they can get.
And man, they are dedicated, I've been in email communication with one dev and he was even going as far as thinking into the technical possibillity of being able to dynamically cut though subnets with bow mounted net cutters.

On top of that, Modding SDK will be released in Summer, No messing about with Gr2 files and all that.

People have every right to shoot it down at this stage and declare that its simply not for them, but they could also be missing out an opportunity they may not get again.

Controversially, I must admit I'm actually quite saddened at the extent that many people on subsim have turned their nose up at it with out even really giving it a shot. I get the strong impression that to be apart of Uboats community, the Uboat Steam Forum and official discord is really the established place to be now.
the sub forum here is sat way down the main page. and its been pretty low energy.
I hope this has not clouded Deep Water Studios view of the Subsim community too much. That would be a shame.
Maybe Wolfpack just stole its thunder over here, I don't know.... But I hope it will improve over time.

I don't know if it worth Asking Neal to move thsi forum up next to wolf pack on the main forum page. Because I don't know if it needs to more traffic to be moved up, or needs to be moved up to get more traffic. lol

Last edited by JU_88; 05-02-19 at 07:14 AM.
JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-19, 07:07 AM   #3
Rickster1
Chief

Downloads: 508
Default Agreed

Yep I totally agree with you both about people here on subsim and about the developers they really seem committed to get the game to a good level , for me I really enjoy it and look forward to the game growing.
Rickster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-19, 08:39 AM   #4
italianmarine
A-ganger

Downloads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JU_88 View Post
People have every right to shoot it down at this stage and declare that its simply not for them, but they could also be missing out an opportunity they may not get again.
I liked everything you wrote but this sentence I don't accept.
People who bought into an early access should know, that they are playing an alpha version. Most of the bad reviews I read on steam are totally bull****! When you start the game the first thing you see, is the statement of the devs which tells/warns you, that the game is not finished and that you will encounter bugs.

I must say that my PC is from 2014 but I continue to upgrade it nearly every 2 years and the performance is awesome. Didn`t encounter one crash for now and my fps is very good. Some in the bad reviews seem to play from a Commodore 64. (doublefacepalm)
I feel only sorry for the devs because some spoiled people are too stupid and think they bought the final finished game.
italianmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-19, 09:41 AM   #5
Deepseadiver
Torpedoman

Downloads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by JU_88 View Post
Fair assessment there ^ yes it not Silent hunter and it doesn't play like it. Its just different. Its got along way to go still, it still has many bugs, its needs more content, and it still needs to fully reconcile the two play styles its attempting to merge.
its NOT more or less of a sim or an arcade that SH - those are really crass and abstract terms that really don't mean anything - except highlight the preferences of the indervidual who is casting them.

The big difference though is this, The SH games were put out when considered complete and stable enough by the Publisher, they got 1 to 4 patches and that was that - no more.
But with Uboat, we have an early access period were devs are reading and responding to feedback, patching almost daily sometimes. incorporating requested features where its doable or practical. Those who stick with it and put the time in, will help influence the games future.

So many passionate Uboat and B.O.A/WW2 fanatics have already been helping to push the game towards better historical accuracy, in many ways.
I've personally been modelling Coastal Command Aircraft for the team which they can use in game. and also providing as much data & research as possible. They are just a 3 man team and appreciate all the support they can get.
And man, they are dedicated, I've been in email communication with one dev and he was even going as far as thinking into the technical possibillity of being able to dynamically cut though subnets with bow mounted net cutters.

On top of that, Modding SDK will be released in Summer, No messing about with Gr2 files and all that.

Controversially, I must admit I'm actually quite saddened at the extent that many people on subsim have turned their nose up at it with out even really giving it a shot. I get the strong impression that to be apart of Uboats community, the Uboat Steam Forum and official discord is really the established place to be now.
the sub forum here is sat way down the main page. and its been pretty low energy.
I hope this has not clouded Deep Water Studios view of the Subsim community too much. That would be a shame.
Maybe Wolfpack just stole its thunder over here, I don't know.... But I hope it will improve over time.

I don't know if it worth Asking Neal to move thsi forum up next to wolf pack on the main forum page. Because I don't know if it needs to more traffic to be moved up, or needs to be moved up to get more traffic. lol
Great post

I also think that most SH players have been fairly positive in the discussions. True though that there is an element who just do not have a clue. One said he wouldn't buy unless it had swastika flags in it!!!
Deepseadiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-19, 09:51 AM   #6
brian4s
Swabbie

Downloads: 49

I really like it but the bugs are killing me in the tortural! You have full command over every aspect of the UBoat and then some. Truly a unique experience. Now, Wolfpack I have caught myself sitting at the hydrophone with people talking my ear off over discord wondering what's become of my life. I'm still working with both but as of now I've got more for my money with Uboat. Maybe a just need a good crew on wolfpack? How long with that take? The captain position looks fun but there is only one captain position available.

Now if you could man the task force and aircraft that would be worth $69.99.

brian4s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-19, 10:09 AM   #7
derstosstrupp
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 489

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian4s View Post
I really like it but the bugs are killing me in the tortural! You have full command over every aspect of the UBoat and then some. Truly a unique experience. Now, Wolfpack I have caught myself sitting at the hydrophone with people talking my ear off over discord wondering what's become of my life. I'm still working with both but as of now I've got more for my money with Uboat. Maybe a just need a good crew on wolfpack? How long with that take? The captain position looks fun but there is only one captain position available.

Now if you could man the task force and aircraft that would be worth $69.99.

You’ll find a good crew meets at least every Friday night! Join us - check out tomorrow’s game in Wolfpack League forum. We take it seriously.

One-Stop Targeting Shop:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...WwBt-1vjW28JbO
My YT Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIJ...9FXbD3S2kgwdPQ
derstosstrupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-19, 10:09 AM   #8
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianmarine View Post
I liked everything you wrote but this sentence I don't accept.
People who bought into an early access should know, that they are playing an alpha version. Most of the bad reviews I read on steam are totally bull****! When you start the game the first thing you see, is the statement of the devs which tells/warns you, that the game is not finished and that you will encounter bugs.

I must say that my PC is from 2014 but I continue to upgrade it nearly every 2 years and the performance is awesome. Didn`t encounter one crash for now and my fps is very good. Some in the bad reviews seem to play from a Commodore 64. (doublefacepalm)
I feel only sorry for the devs because some spoiled people are too stupid and think they bought the final finished game.
I agree that there were some BS negative reviews written less than an hour after it went live, but lets face it, almost every steam game gets some of those. If people don't like it - they don't like it, it didn't meet their expectations or maybe the game just didn't play ball on their system (there were some tech issues) and some
can be very unforgiving about things like that. Though I suspect they were most likley to be disgruntled beta testers venting.
But that's their indervidual choice, no point in being outraged by it TBH.
The dev's will know who the stupid people are and wont take it to heart too much.

Uboat is still appearing in the 'top sellers' on Steam, so it must be doing ok, and its overall feed back is 'mostly positive out of 899 reveiws so far.

Last edited by JU_88; 05-02-19 at 10:22 AM.
JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote