SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > UBOAT
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-16-19, 05:26 PM   #16
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189
Uploads: 0

That would explain the ridiculous amount of vitriol directed at my game, Cold Waters, on the Dangerous Waters steam forums. It's almost as if its mere existence is an affront to these people.
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-19, 05:32 PM   #17
Nordmann
Commodore

Downloads: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julhelm View Post
That would explain the ridiculous amount of vitriol directed at my game, Cold Waters, on the Dangerous Waters steam forums. It's almost as if its mere existence is an affront to these people.
Probably, at least in part. I really don't get these 'fans' if I'm honest, they complain that their favourite genre doesn't have many games, and then as soon as someone dares to release one, they dump on it as hard as they possibly can! It's like they want to be stuck with the same old titles for the rest of eternity!

Oh, and Cold Waters is a great game, just for the record. I hope the moronic 'community' doesn't put you off future titles like it.
Old 05-16-19, 06:10 PM   #18
clayton
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 179

I get what this game is supposed to be, but I understand how different it is for people raised on the silent hunter series.
I enjoy the mechanics behind sailing the boat, but I'm having a difficult time coming to terms with detecting enemies, getting into position, and the different modes of travel. I chase a contact down, the game doesn't pull me out of fast travel, I sail past the target, then have to go to flank speed just to catch up to a 6 knot target (just so the game pops me out of whatever travel mode im in), and 9 times out of 10, I'm at the targets stern.
Getting kinda old, but I guess that's Unity for you.
Old 05-17-19, 12:50 PM   #19
Zedi
Sea Lord

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 2

I remember why I left subsim and abandoned OH2. Old dudes, complaining of everything, Their GoD was SH3, a game that wont run even on my phone, but still... they demand! Demand! And GOD forbid they pay .. oh no. They paid 15 eur/usd and they demand a working game. And if the modders dont deliver ..fuk, they rage more.

Same goes on UBOAT. LIght years on SH5, still I see the same people complaining. Giving a fuk, but yawning. Water is not real/water is very real. I hate this game/I love this game etc

All my respect to my fellow moders, they deserve a lot of respect. Not for the years spent, but the patience.

Before bashing UBOAT, ask yourself .. Was SH5 fun? If so, was because UBISOFT? Give them a break, give them a chance to make the best subsim around, they are the good guys! Submit bugs, and submit errors.
Zedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-19, 03:27 PM   #20
divemonkie
Medic

Downloads: 1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordmann View Post
Probably, at least in part. I really don't get these 'fans' if I'm honest, they complain that their favourite genre doesn't have many games, and then as soon as someone dares to release one, they dump on it as hard as they possibly can! It's like they want to be stuck with the same old titles for the rest of eternity!

Oh, and Cold Waters is a great game, just for the record. I hope the moronic 'community' doesn't put you off future titles like it.
LOL! takes me back to my old IL 2 days, the battles with flight sim FANBOYS over open architecture verses closed, flight models, even graphics. I dont see it ever getting that bad here. Its still very early release and I'd bet in the end we'll have options to automate much of the crew.

Or not. Ether way I'll always have room on my hard drive for SH and Ubout.

I never had room for "flight sim"
divemonkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-19, 04:00 PM   #21
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 488
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by divemonkie View Post
LOL! takes me back to my old IL 2 days, the battles with flight sim FANBOYS over open architecture verses closed, flight models, even graphics. I dont see it ever getting that bad here. Its still very early release and I'd bet in the end we'll have options to automate much of the crew.

You should have seen the Falcon 4.0 wars. Brutal.
Old 05-17-19, 06:54 PM   #22
Nordmann
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedi View Post
I remember why I left subsim and abandoned OH2. Old dudes, complaining of everything, Their GoD was SH3, a game that wont run even on my phone, but still... they demand! Demand! And GOD forbid they pay .. oh no. They paid 15 eur/usd and they demand a working game. And if the modders dont deliver ..fuk, they rage more.

Same goes on UBOAT. LIght years on SH5, still I see the same people complaining. Giving a fuk, but yawning. Water is not real/water is very real. I hate this game/I love this game etc

All my respect to my fellow moders, they deserve a lot of respect. Not for the years spent, but the patience.

Before bashing UBOAT, ask yourself .. Was SH5 fun? If so, was because UBISOFT? Give them a break, give them a chance to make the best subsim around, they are the good guys! Submit bugs, and submit errors.
Quoted for truth.

I remember when SH4 was being bashed for not being SH3, and then SH5 came out and guess what... it also wasn't SH3 either, so a major meltdown ensues. Then we don't get anything for nearly a decade (possibly because of the massive bad press SH5 received), and finally some indies are taking a chance on this genre, and... nope, not SH3... more moaning and griping from the grognards.

Don't get me wrong, SH3 was an absolutely fantastic game, and I played it to death over the course of many years. But limiting yourself to just one game for all time, and then bashing everything else which dares to do something even slightly different, well that's not a healthy mindset.
Old 05-17-19, 07:05 PM   #23
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by divemonkie View Post

You weren't here for the launch of SH3. The game itself was buggy, and the modders broke into camps which pretty much ended up in total war, complete with open fighting, skulduggery, backstabbing and outright vitriol. It pretty much ruined the UBIsoft boards and created factions that have only started mending fences in the last couple of years or so. I hope we never see the like again.

Oh, and this thread is a good one.
Old 05-17-19, 07:23 PM   #24
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordmann View Post
Quoted for truth.

I remember when SH4 was being bashed for not being SH3, and then SH5 came out and guess what... it also wasn't SH3 either, so a major meltdown ensues. Then we don't get anything for nearly a decade (possibly because of the massive bad press SH5 received), and finally some indies are taking a chance on this genre, and... nope, not SH3... more moaning and griping from the grognards.

Don't get me wrong, SH3 was an absolutely fantastic game, and I played it to death over the course of many years. But limiting yourself to just one game for all time, and then bashing everything else which dares to do something even slightly different, well that's not a healthy mindset.
And that brings me to the second part of my diatribe.

I remember those later days as well. SH4 got trashed before its release, not only because it wasn't SH3, but it had the temerity to be about AMERICAN boats. It wasn't U-Boats, so it wasn't worth spitting on. Never mind that the original Silent Hunter was about the American submarine war in the Pacific. SH2 was an attempt to add U-boats to the mix, but there were complaints about the 'shooter' nature of the game. SH3 fixed that, and was loved for it.

Then SH4 got U-boats added to it, which was a good thing, but it was too soon after SH3 so the modders basically ignored it. SH5 was an attempt to go in a different direction, and I admit that I'm one of those who didn't like that direction and still don't. That said, I fully support SH5 and praise their efforts. I haven't yet played it with Wolves of Steel, but I'm looking forward to it when I find the time.

U-Boat? I'm intrigued. SH2 had little figures to show how many of your crew were alive or dead. SH3 was the first game to actually name the crew and let you give them medals. SH4 fixed the management problems by giving them their own watch bills. SH5 got rid of the crew except for a few key officers. I'm really looking forward to running a crew in U-Boat.

I still love SH3, and SH4 would top my list if only it had the same sort of mods available. I'm watching the development of U-Boat with great interest. If it turns into what I'm looking for visually and viscerally, then I'll be as happy as a clam. And if it turns into something else, something not for me? Well, I'll still support it. And I'll buy a copy pretty soon just so I can find out for myself. So far it's looking really good.
Old 05-17-19, 09:43 PM   #25
clayton
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedi View Post

Read your post and thought I was on the Steam forum.
No olds guys bashing Uboat here.
Old 05-18-19, 08:01 AM   #26
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
And that brings me to the second part of my diatribe.

I remember those later days as well. SH4 got trashed before its release, not only because it wasn't SH3, but it had the temerity to be about AMERICAN boats. It wasn't U-Boats, so it wasn't worth spitting on.

The good old days, remember them well

Be interesting to see where this new sim goes, but give it time. Much like SH3, 4, 5 , etc, etc.

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-19, 09:06 AM   #27
Nordmann
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayton View Post
I guess there's a first time for everything!

Old 05-24-19, 11:49 AM   #28
Zedi
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayton View Post
Read your post and thought I was on the Steam forum.
Good. Because I got a PM with a ban/language warning from ..Steve. Steve, one of my favorite moder and friend whom did such a magnificent work on helping with the OH series. Still, he considered to send me a warning.

But hey, we are all ballerinas, not sailors. Therefore, language is an issue. Doh ..
Old 05-24-19, 03:11 PM   #29
Sub187
Watch

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordInquisitor View Post
Silent Hunter was very moddable you could go from arcade to sim and various other factors. UBOAT while harder lacks that modularity. it will have in future but for now your somewhat stuck with default settings not everyone likes.
On what part would you like to see more modularity? As far as i've played, you can choose between manual/auto solution and targeting, manual/auto controlling the vessel, the guns, etc... I cant really think of another part where they can make the game more accessible.

The only thing I would still like to see is the ability to decide to load either a T1 or T2, instead of it being done automatically with the first at hand.

Oh, and this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by clayton
I chase a contact down, the game doesn't pull me out of fast travel, I sail past the target, then have to go to flank speed just to catch up to a 6 knot target (just so the game pops me out of whatever travel mode im in), and 9 times out of 10, I'm at the targets stern.
Getting kinda old, but I guess that's Unity for you.
@Zedi: This is a family-friendly forum and not a seedy harbor bar, so yeah, language is an issue
Sub187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-19, 04:01 PM   #30
Zedi
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub187 View Post
@Zedi: This is a family-friendly forum and not a seedy harbor bar, so yeah, language is an issue
Oh, I'm so sorry, I hope your family is ok. I should had this warning way before I started moding for SH5.

Again, I'm deeply sorry .. hope none of your family members had to suffer of my moding, wish that I had a warning of this sensitive family issues before I started to mod for SH5.

But hey.. good news! I will never mod for this community again, and that's a promise! Cheers

PS: Steve, please ban me for good! I gave you all my cry out on PM. I'm really asking you a favour, for the good times.

Last edited by Zedi; 05-24-19 at 06:33 PM.