SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-20-12, 11:50 PM   #1
iowa101
Commodore

Downloads: 199
Uploads: 0
HMS Astute S119 Fast Attack Submarine

Welcome to the now official HMS Astute mod Topic

Over the last few days I've been in disarray over modelling the Astute and then it Hit me. You have the internet at your disposal and willingness to do what needs to be done.

I present you with the HMS Astute S119 Fast Attack Submarine,

She is in S3d without a fight I might add, She has several problems I need to sort out first before she's ready to go in game. So first things first. The texture has already been mapped and designed by the creator of this fair model yet when I try to add her to the model once it's in S3D I get this!

I'm no expert and so this problem might take a day or two to sort out but We'll get there. And this brings me on to my second problem with the model.

The Rudder, Dive planes and propeller aren't properly situated on the nodes and so when I tested the Astute in game the rudders dissapeared down yonder as I dived due to the space that causes the rudder to rotate way to far from the pivot or node point.

Now to the solutions.

How do I get my texture to show and also fit my Model
And how do I reposition the Models to the nodes

Any help would be appreciated and Please look forward to her being in game

"A good Navy is not a provocation to war. It is the surest guaranty of peace."
iowa101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-12, 01:10 AM   #2
Gibbs1
Seaman

Downloads: 33

Hi,

What a nice boat. Are all nodes connected to their right parent ids?
Gibbs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-12, 01:45 AM   #3
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshida-kun View Post
Welcome to the now official HMS Astute mod Topic

del.

The Rudder, Dive planes and propeller aren't properly situated on the nodes and so when I tested the Astute in game the rudders dissapeared down yonder as I dived due to the space that causes the rudder to rotate way to far from the pivot or node point.

And how do I reposition the Models to the nodes

Any help would be appreciated and Please look forward to her being in game
For your rudders , dive planes and propeller, make sure in Blender when you create the object the 0,0,0 or 'center' is located at the the point you want to hinge or rotate. Then in the node make sure the start point for the animation is the same as the location of the node, and animate starting from that point.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-12, 08:05 AM   #4
iowa101
Commodore

Done the node problem now, just a case of them being of their geometry, Now I need to know why I'm getting a black texture??

Last edited by iowa101; 05-21-12 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-21-12, 09:22 AM   #5
Karle94
The Old Man

Downloads: 253

Quote:
Done the node problem now, just a case of them being of their geometry, Now I need to know why I'm getting a black texture??
Try inverting the normals.

Find my mods here:
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/lzgciodldp58p/SH4_Mods
My SH4 blog here:
http://karle94.blogspot.com/
Karle94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-12, 09:29 AM   #6
iowa101
Commodore

Ok so I have no clue how to do that, I thought it would be an option in S3D but the texture still remains black no matter what I do.

Old 05-21-12, 09:34 AM   #7
jhapprich
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

is the texture embedded in the texture node or is it defined as external eg. txr#hmsastute_T_01.dds?

if it is external,the texture will only show up if you enable the mod and place the texture into the sub`s folder
Old 05-21-12, 09:47 AM   #8
iowa101
Commodore

I don't know I've never gotten this far before and I just imported the Astute into one of my downloaded mod submarines.

I don't know what to do, Does anyone have the ability to sort it out. and send it back

Old 05-21-12, 09:59 AM   #9
jhapprich
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

please keep the download small, i only need the model, the .dat and the texture

Last edited by jhapprich; 07-27-12 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-21-12, 02:13 PM   #10
iowa101
Commodore

I found a list of bugs, and I need solutions

1. The Astute is set to a surface depth of 40ft but when she loads in game she sits well above the water, I've tried everything but can't seem to figure out why it won't sit properly on the water.

2. The astute is bigger than the submarine I used so when I fire a torpedo she comes out the top of the submarine, I want it to come from where the doors are on the submarine but I don't know how.

3. Now for the last problem, When I pull and emergence turn, hard to port/ starboard the submarine goes into a dive, now I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure it's not mean to do that. How do I fix this??

Old 05-21-12, 06:14 PM   #11
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
I found a list of bugs, and I need solutions

1. The Astute is set to a surface depth of 40ft but when she loads in game she sits well above the water, I've tried everything but can't seem to figure out why it won't sit properly on the water.

2. The astute is bigger than the submarine I used so when I fire a torpedo she comes out the top of the submarine, I want it to come from where the doors are on the submarine but I don't know how.

3. Now for the last problem, When I pull and emergence turn, hard to port/ starboard the submarine goes into a dive, now I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure it's not mean to do that. How do I fix this??
1 Does it sit about 40ft above the surface? you tried everything? Like what? There is surface depth in the cfg file and the .sim file try starting at 0 and go from there. Not enough info to tell the exact problem.

2. Move the tube, and the animation in the dat file.

3. Do you have the diveplanes and rudders mixed up? Hard to tell much without files.

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

Old 05-21-12, 06:20 PM   #12
iowa101
Commodore

Ok so over the last few hours I've been in battle with my Astute, and finally I took another look at the DDS file of my texture an what do you know....

Eleven layers stopped the image from showing and so I deleted 10 of them and this is the result.

The texture is quite nice in my opinion, thank you to Jhapprich for offering to help with it and please don't hesitate to offer again
Now with the texture in place and the sub looking very well indeed I'm left with a few more problems, First is the fact that when I turn either hard to starboard or the other direction, the Astute begins a slow but constant dive, I'm still unaware of what's causing such an action but if anyone can help me find a solution that would be great.

Old 05-21-12, 06:26 PM   #13
iowa101
Commodore

In response to peabody,

It sits about 40ft above the water I think, looks to be that high anyway, and I've made sure that the rudder and dive planes are the right ones.

Old 05-21-12, 07:07 PM   #14
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
In response to peabody,

It sits about 40ft above the water I think, looks to be that high anyway, and I've made sure that the rudder and dive planes are the right ones.
That was my point, if it is set to +40 and it is sitting that high then lower the setting in cfg and sim.

Did you double check the sim for front diveplanes, aft diveplanes and rudder settings?

Old 05-21-12, 07:45 PM   #15
iowa101
Commodore

Well just test my Astute in game again, after figuring out the texture, sorting out the depth problem and found a slight confusing problem.
my texture shows in S3D but when I went into game and tested it I got a green and orange camo pattern, why hasn't it showed and what's with the wacky paint job??

Last edited by iowa101; 05-21-12 at 09:11 PM.