SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-09-10, 12:16 PM   #106
blueduck
Commander

Downloads: 59
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by johan_d View Post
Can Thompsen Ship mod be used with LSH?
If not do you consider it ?
Hello johan_d,

we did not test any of the whole bunch of available MODs.
Please see appendix H in the "LSH3_V5_Minimanual_EN.pdf" for informations about the files which MUST NOT be changed by other MODs.
Then give it a try! JSGME will be your friend!

Greets Blueduck
blueduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-10, 06:14 PM   #107
johan_d
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 113
Uploads: 1

Will check..

Until now its been a great mod!, sank some ships.. the flares are a nice touch.
Didnt encounter any zerstorers yet..
johan_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-10, 08:56 AM   #108
Uber Gruber
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I see a lot of similarity between LSH3 and WAC 4.1 which is fine. However, would it be possible for someone to list the essential differences between the two super mods ?

I ask as it would be a bit pointless having two identicle mods so I assume there are difference, especially with regards to the campaign files. I've read all available English documentation for both mods yet I am still unable to grasp the main differences.

Thanks in advance,

UG
Old 01-11-10, 06:20 AM   #109
SeaWolf U-57
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Gruber View Post
I see a lot of similarity between LSH3 and WAC 4.1 which is fine. However, would it be possible for someone to list the essential differences between the two super mods ?

I ask as it would be a bit pointless having two identicle mods so I assume there are difference, especially with regards to the campaign files. I've read all available English documentation for both mods yet I am still unable to grasp the main differences.

Thanks in advance,

UG

That's a good question well I have played both versions using Vista and Windows 7
so the essential differences I have found is.
LSH3 works on both version of the operating systems I have used although some people have had problems for whatever reason. WAC did not and CTD on load up and also when playing the game.
LSH3 has lots of new units added which I didn't see in WAC and when sinking warships renown is given which is not always the case playing WAC.
All the bases I have been assigned to have different layout then in Stock/GWX although the 2nd flotilla has the same start base in both WAC and LSH3.
LSH3 runs smoother on my machine with lest strain put on the system then playing WAC (for whatever reason).
I have had no CTD playing LSH3 when attacking convoys while submerged unlike with WAC.
There are no heavy armed enemy convoys or strike forces roaming around close to German bases in 1939-1940 as there are in WAC.
So for me LSH3 is the version I play I don't really know about the two Mods being identical as far as the campaign files go because WAC never seemed to work right for me.
So I suppose the main difference for me is that LSH3 works on my machine and WAC don't.
SeaWolf U-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-10, 08:46 AM   #110
Uber Gruber
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Thanks for the reply.

What about the campaign files ?

It really is quite impossible to distinguish between mods if there is no suitable documentation. NYGM excelled at this, reasoning every change and addition, GWX did something similar. But I am at a complete loss to explain what is good about WAC or LSH3 to people without similar documentation.

A simple bullet-point list would do...
Old 01-15-10, 04:13 AM   #111
Corsair
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 51

All problems solved. Have now a few patrols behind me. Am June 1940 close to Rockall Banks and just jumped a juicy convoy with 2 large tankers...
Thks again for this great mod, I love it and run it on a multi install alongside my beloved NYGM 3.3b, with its own SH3 Commander. Am working with XP and in some places like Kiel framerate drops to 25/30 fps (Core Duo E8500 + ATI HD4870) so I suppose with Vista you better have a good rig... Otherwise I have a steady 60 fps with vertical synch, AA and AF x4 set on Catalyst.

NYGM 3.4A / Living SH3 V5.1 + SH3 Commander
Corsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-10, 09:20 AM   #112
Uber Gruber
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Hi Corsair,

As you've been around a while and like NYGM then i'd be very interested in what you think of LSH3 from a campaign perspective. I'm trying to understand why this mod was created, what type of player is it intended for (realistic, shoot-em-up, multiplayer, missions) and somehow get a handle on whether it is any good or not.

I know you mention its a great mod....but WHY is it a great mod ? What distinguishes it from NYGM, or GWX or WAC etc.

Many thanks,

UG
Old 01-15-10, 10:28 AM   #113
HanSolo78
Sea Lord

Downloads: 100
Uploads: 3

NYGM - focuses on reality things like buoyancy, manual targeting, not much improved graphics etc. without rising the system specs much.

LSH - improved campaign, better graphics, more units - more system demanding than NYGM

WAC - most detailed historical campaign, heavy improved graphics, more units, much more system demanding
Old 01-15-10, 11:12 AM   #114
Uber Gruber
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Thankyou so much HanSolo....exactly what i wanted to know.

I do like the locks in LSH3, any chance of you incorporating them into WAC ?

Also, any news on your animated sub-pens (bunkers)...they were looking real good.

Cheers, UG
Old 01-15-10, 11:41 AM   #115
HanSolo78
Sea Lord

Downloads: 100
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Gruber View Post
Thankyou so much HanSolo....exactly what i wanted to know.

I do like the locks in LSH3, any chance of you incorporating them into WAC ?

Also, any news on your animated sub-pens (bunkers)...they were looking real good.

Cheers, UG
What locks do you mean? Holtenau and Brunsbuettel?
Old 01-15-10, 12:51 PM   #116
Uber Gruber
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Yep....I just love the signal flags in LSH3....are they realistic ?
Old 01-15-10, 01:13 PM   #117
blueduck
Commander

Dear Uber Gruber,

the campaign in LSH3 V5 is mostly driven by random events.

Some of the missions, where the U-Boats are employed, are scripted in the campaign (Weserübung, ...).

Theatres, where the U-Boats have not been present (D-Day, ...) are not scripted.

AI-equipment and -knowhow is increasing from 1939 to 1945.

And Yes! The flags are correct!

Regards Blueduck.

Last edited by blueduck; 01-15-10 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-21-10, 05:41 PM   #118
blueduck
Commander

Hello friends,

as is known, the HiResFix deactivates the function-keys F9 to F11.

Now I've hit on the fact, that these stations kann be accessed in combination with the ALT-key:
ALT-F9: Radio room
ALT-F10: Deckgun
ALT-F11: Flak (repeatedly, to switch between the several guns)

Greetz Blueduck
Old 01-21-10, 05:47 PM   #119
Kaleun Cook
Chief

Downloads: 25

Giving it a try due to GWX problems on Win7 - and it looks great so far! Unfortunately forgot to set the near-land time-compression a bit higher for the Kiel canal...
Kaleun Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-10, 09:57 AM   #120
Corsair
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 51

@ Uber Gruber

Sorry was away for a few days, couldn't reply right on... I just stick to what Han Solo said. Very alive environment in redesigned harbours, functionning locks like in the Kiel Kanal, nice new ships, the good idea of going throught a training place to handle a new sub (Erprobungsstelle). I am just starting the campaign (am around June 1940) so I only have 5 or 6 patrols (including the training ones) but found lots of targets in the usual places. Also useful the binos zooming to x10.
For demand on system, it runs 60 fps except in high environment harbours 1680x1050 where NYGM runs around 145 fps....

NYGM 3.4A / Living SH3 V5.1 + SH3 Commander
Corsair is offline   Reply With Quote