SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-05-17, 08:17 PM   #1
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
radar Improved SH5 HMS Nelson class battleship for SH3

Hi,

After Von Dos sent me his files about a converted Nelson class BB from SH5 to SH3, I tried her in a single mission. All what I say is : what a beautiful model ! I had a look into the files and found several things to improve. Now, I have finished my work, and I share it with you !

D/L link : http://www.mediafire.com/file/se5gdp...lson_class.zip

Please, don't forget to read the Readme file in the mods docs folder !

Last edited by Kendras; 05-06-17 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-06-17, 06:18 AM   #2
VonDos
Admiral

Downloads: 75
Uploads: 48

Hi mate!
Don't know who's conversion's author. If i well remember i found her on a russian site now closed.

About KGV conversione, last week i nerd ti chance my PC and i've notte my 3d program (maya 7.0) for mod, at moment. Looking for this at moment :-)

Those, others and WIP ships are avaiable in my SHIPYARD here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=136508
VonDos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-17, 07:57 AM   #3
Borgneface
Captain

Downloads: 653
Uploads: 0

Salute Kendras!
That sounds really good! Looking forward to see your Nelson!
Amicalement
Old 02-06-17, 01:48 PM   #4
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonDos View Post
Hi mate!
Don't know who's conversion's author. If i well remember i found her on a russian site now closed.
OK, see post #1 to find the D/L link !

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonDos View Post
About KGV conversione, last week i nerd ti chance my PC and i've notte my 3d program (maya 7.0) for mod, at moment. Looking for this at moment :-)
What do you mean ? Did you start working on SH5 KGV ?
Old 02-06-17, 03:29 PM   #5
VonDos
Admiral

Downloads: 75
Uploads: 48

Sadly, no

ps sorry i was writing from my phone; my original message without auto-corrections was:

About KGV conversion, last week i need to chance my PC and i've not my 3d program (maya 7.0) for mod, at moment. Looking for this :-)

Those, others and WIP ships are avaiable in my SHIPYARD here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=136508
VonDos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-17, 08:57 AM   #6
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 275

@Kendras

Lovely work shipmate

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner
Fubar2Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-17, 09:57 AM   #7
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendras View Post
After Von Dos sent me his files about a converted Nelson class BB from SH5 to SH3, I tried her in a single mission. All what I say is : what a beautiful model ! I had a look into the files and found several things to improve. Now, I have finished my work, and I share it with you !
Well done Kendras, VonDos, and whoever made the original conversion

Quote:
improved textures (the ship was very dark and I had to remove the AO map), improved placement of the main and secondary guns on Y axis, and added a big war ensign.
I realized that the way SH5 and SHIII blend the AO map on the diffuse texture are slightly different and yes, the resulting skin is much darker in SHIII than it is in SH5. Maybe you can tweak material properties and/or texture/AO map's luminosity instead of giving up the AO map
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-17, 10:28 AM   #8
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Thanks for kind words. Gap, could you send me your SH5 files about the King George V and the gunnery library ? I really want her to sail in SH3 ! Maybe I will need another tool :

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowi58 View Post
thanks to the great work of "privateer" - his famous "GR2-Exporter-Tool" - it is possible to export some ships from SH5 to SH3l. I've had a deep look at those ships in SH5 - sad to say that they were mostly not as correct as you want to have.
Just have to understand how it works !
Old 02-07-17, 11:01 AM   #9
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Thanks for kind words. Gap, could you send me your SH5 files about the King George V and the gunnery library ? I really want her to sail in SH3 ! Maybe I will need another tool :
What do you want exactly? The original SH5 files, or just the 3D models of King George V, plus submodels and guns?

Quote:
Just have to understand how it works !
Never had Jeff's exporter to play with, but maybe you can use TDW's GR2 viewer/editor/exporter which is partly based on Jeff's discoveries on the granny format.
Old 02-07-17, 11:13 AM   #10
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
What do you want exactly? The original SH5 files, or just the 3D models of King George V, plus submodels and guns?
It would be easier for me to have the 3D models to import in the current SH3 KGV file. But you need to send me also all the sub objects, and the textures, and also a good screenshot about how all these models are placed together.

About the other files (.sim, .zon, etc.), is it as in SH3 ? Can you send them to me too ?

Thank you.

I tried to open the GR2E Editor, but an error happened (I think it's related to DirectX or something like that ...)
Old 02-07-17, 11:58 AM   #11
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
It would be easier for me to have the 3D models to import in the current SH3 KGV file. But you need to send me also all the sub objects, and the textures
Okay

Quote:
and also a good screenshot about how all these models are placed together.
Maybe it is better if I provide you with the node/bone translation values for each subpart and for external equipment links. It will take some time though.

Quote:
About the other files (.sim, .zon, etc.), is it as in SH3 ? Can you send them to me too ?
Identical, but some controllers have been updated in the meanwhile and can't be read by the original S3D. You will need to tweak the editor using Rosomaha's S3D-Configurator, copy the values of the updated controllers on a piece of paper, re-configure S3D in SHIII-mode, delete the new controllers replacing them with their SHIII counterparts, and set their properties manually

Quote:
I tried to open the GR2E Editor, but an error happened (I think it's related to DirectX or something like that ...)
More probably you need SH5 to be installed on your HD for GR2 Editor to work
Old 02-07-17, 12:43 PM   #12
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Okay
Let's go !

Quote:
Maybe it is better if I provide you with the node/bone translation values for each subpart and for external equipment links. It will take some time though.
Maybe if you take scrennshots of the values, it will be faster ... ?

Quote:
Identical, but some controllers have been updated in the meanwhile and can't be read by the original S3D. You will need to tweak the editor using Rosomaha's S3D-Configurator, copy the values of the updated controllers on a piece of paper, re-configure S3D in SHIII-mode, delete the new controllers replacing them with their SHIII counterparts, and set their properties manually
What kind of controllers ?
Old 02-08-17, 06:55 AM   #13
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

Default Nelson Mod Problem

@Kendras

I have a problem with your excellent Nelson mod. When enabled I can see it looking gorgeous in museum, however when I try to view HMS. Rodney it crashes. Disable mod and both Nelson and Rodney view fine in museum.

My guess an incompatibility. As both these ships were the same class (I think), externally at least, it would seem both ships need to be converted to avoid a crash when Rodney appears. All other warships appear ok in museum.

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner
Old 02-08-17, 06:59 AM   #14
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar2Niner View Post
@Kendras

I have a problem with your excellent Nelson mod. When enabled I can see it looking gorgeous in museum, however when I try to view HMS. Rodney it crashes. Disable mod and both Nelson and Rodney view fine in museum.

My guess an incompatibility. As both these ships were the same class (I think), externally at least, it would seem both ships need to be converted to avoid a crash when Rodney appears. All other warships appear ok in museum.

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner
That's strange ! ID conflict ?
Old 02-08-17, 07:06 AM   #15
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

Not sure mate, I am not wise in these things, how do I check?

Fubar