SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-28-09, 02:22 PM   #1
Stormende
Soundman

Downloads: 716
Uploads: 1
Questions, lots of questions from a newbie

Hola skippers,
I am new to this site and also playing SH4 + the add on, I am used to SH - SH3+GW but this new addon is somewhat confusing so I have quite a few questions I hope you can answer.

1. Can I upgrade my sub to a different type? Not the equipment but the sub itself, because I can't find the screen to do it. SH3 allowed me to replace the sub if I had the required prestige but seems that this option is not available in SH4.

2. I have added some playable surface ships just to test them and they are quite good but I have noticed that once someone attacks you - either plane or surface ship - The alarm triggers and keeps going forever, there is a way to reset it or set the parameters to 5 minutes or so after the attack is over? The only workaround I have found is to delete the file Ship_Alarm_EXT.wav but I would like to fix this issue without deleting the file.

3. I tried to mod the Iowa just to get a grip of how the models work, was able to make it to the load screen (in campaign mode) but at 3/4 of loading, the game CTD. I researched the forum and I believe Mikhail sp*? said the problem might be with the model so I searched the forums again and found a playable Iowa, compared mine with his and still can't find the problem. Anyway, my question regards this is not about my model but the playable one I downloaded, I have tried different ways to make it campaign playable but to no avail! Maybe this ship doesn't like me... The Montana and Yamato are fun to play but I want the Iowa. I know this is not Burguer King but I really would love to get some help.

Well, that might be all for now. I just want to add that this place is awesome and the modders deserve a lot of credit, without them a game won't stand the test of time. The guy who made Silent 3ditor made a lot of mods possible and I believe it is one of the best modding programs I have ever seen, keep the good work skippers.

Regards,
Marco

PS. Tho I think didn't make too many mistakes writing this, you might have to excuse my English.

Stormende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-09, 02:59 PM   #2
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormende View Post
Hola skippers,
I am new to this site and also playing SH4 + the add on, I am used to SH - SH3+GW but this new addon is somewhat confusing so I have quite a few questions I hope you can answer.

1. Can I upgrade my sub to a different type? Not the equipment but the sub itself, because I can't find the screen to do it. SH3 allowed me to replace the sub if I had the required prestige but seems that this option is not available in SH4.

2. I have added some playable surface ships just to test them and they are quite good but I have noticed that once someone attacks you - either plane or surface ship - The alarm triggers and keeps going forever, there is a way to reset it or set the parameters to 5 minutes or so after the attack is over? The only workaround I have found is to delete the file Ship_Alarm_EXT.wav but I would like to fix this issue without deleting the file.

3. I tried to mod the Iowa just to get a grip of how the models work, was able to make it to the load screen (in campaign mode) but at 3/4 of loading, the game CTD. I researched the forum and I believe Mikhail sp*? said the problem might be with the model so I searched the forums again and found a playable Iowa, compared mine with his and still can't find the problem. Anyway, my question regards this is not about my model but the playable one I downloaded, I have tried different ways to make it campaign playable but to no avail! Maybe this ship doesn't like me... The Montana and Yamato are fun to play but I want the Iowa. I know this is not Burguer King but I really would love to get some help.

Well, that might be all for now. I just want to add that this place is awesome and the modders deserve a lot of credit, without them a game won't stand the test of time. The guy who made Silent 3ditor made a lot of mods possible and I believe it is one of the best modding programs I have ever seen, keep the good work skippers.

Regards,
Marco

PS. Tho I think didn't make too many mistakes writing this, you might have to excuse my English.

1. Subs can be offered to you during your career but you can not change them yourself. Only in the starting screen you can select from more than one to start the career, after that upgrades are part of the game depending on your performance.

2. I know a lot of people have that problem, I don't know if it's fixed. Try asking someone in the surface warfare MOD team in the ATO Mod forum.

3. If you have the Iowa I built, it was one of the first ships I built and there are mistakes in the UPC so it will not work in Career only Single Missions. Jmardlin fixed the mistakes and has a version that works. Just do a Search for it or PM him for the d/l link.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-09, 03:25 PM   #3
Stormende
Soundman

Thankx for the expedite response!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabody View Post
1. Subs can be offered to you during your career but you can not change them yourself. Only in the starting screen you can select from more than one to start the career, after that upgrades are part of the game depending on your performance.

2. I know a lot of people have that problem, I don't know if it's fixed. Try asking someone in the surface warfare MOD team in the ATO Mod forum.

3. If you have the Iowa I built, it was one of the first ships I built and there are mistakes in the UPC so it will not work in Career only Single Missions. Jmardlin fixed the mistakes and has a version that works. Just do a Search for it or PM him for the d/l link.

Peabody
Then I will have to search for the campaign files, I want to mod the game to make a surface playable campaign starting with DDs and going up to BBs.

I'll surely do it, there has to be some way to fix this issue, thankx.

I believe it was your model the one I downloaded, now that you cleared that up I will try to find Jmardlin model. No wonder why I could not make it campaign playable, thought it was something I was doing wrong while modifying the files.

Thank you so much for your response, I really do appreciate it.
Old 05-28-09, 03:30 PM   #4
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511
Uploads: 0

Welcome Aboard Stormende

Your English is fine.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-09, 03:38 PM   #5
Stormende
Soundman

Thank Sir!

Old 05-28-09, 03:41 PM   #6
Akula4745
Convicted Ship Killer

Location: Just out of sight... plotting your course and speed
Downloads: 371

Welcome Stormende!!

"If you sit by the river long enough... the body of your enemy will float by -- SunTzu"

Last edited by Akula4745; 05-28-09 at 05:41 PM.
Akula4745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-09, 08:46 PM   #7
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Welcome aboard amigo. In the German navy you may get to pick your own boat but in this man's navy you drive what they give you and be glad yer not captain of the admiral's garbage scow like me.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-09, 08:59 PM   #8
Stormende
Soundman

Default LoL

Thank you, Akula and Rockin Robbins. Thank god they didn't assign me a Ford-T to go to war.

:rotfl:
Old 05-28-09, 09:18 PM   #9
Frame57
Sea Lord

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

All newbies have to play the S boats for at least 6 months as a hazing....Kidding. Wilkommen!
Old 05-29-09, 10:22 AM   #10
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

WELCOME ABOARD, Southern Brother!
Old 05-29-09, 11:25 AM   #11
Stormende
Soundman

Default Ahoy!

Sounds like chips but anyway.

Danke, Frame57 and Sailor Steve!

Thank god I am not a bilge rat anymore, at this rate they will assign me a sub soon so I can fire some torpedos at the tushi maru!

Tags
newbie, questions, subs, surface ships