SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-29-11, 08:16 AM   #61
DoveEgg
Seaman

Downloads: 138
Uploads: 0

TDW,

What's the status of this mod? Has it been incorporated into your UI mod? Or should we still be using this stand alone mod?
DoveEgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-11, 01:44 PM   #62
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoveEgg View Post
TDW,

What's the status of this mod? Has it been incorporated into your UI mod? Or should we still be using this stand alone mod?
The latest version of my UIs mod has it already
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-11, 01:09 PM   #63
sidslotm
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
You'll be able to keep depth at 0knots down to 170m
Is this realistic.
Old 08-02-11, 05:41 PM   #64
mobucks
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 209

no it isnt, TDW said he will try to incoroprate something so you need some speed to maintain depth that low. The anti-hummingbird effect.
mobucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-11, 06:04 PM   #65
TheBeast
The Old Man

Downloads: 876
Uploads: 23

BUMP

I started a new career and notice that the Typ-7A is holding depth approximately 1 meter below the depth specified.

This results in Observation Periscope being submerged when Periscope Depth is ordered. (Periscope Depth = 12m)

Changing Submerged Displacement from 702 to 701.55 corrects this issue for me. The boat now settles just shy of 12m (within inches) when ordering Periscope Depth.

Data\Submarine\NSS_UBoat7a\NSS_UBoat7a.SIM
Controller:
unit_Submarine @ NSS_Uboat7a --> unit_Submarine --> unit_Ship --> obj_Hydro --> Submerged --> displacement = 701.55

If the boat would continue to sink @ Zero (0) Knots, this would be kind of neat but it doesn't.

I think it was the SH4 OM Mod that had the Submarine Physics setup correctly for this to happen.

In SH4 OM when Submarine went all stop and speed dropped to Zero (0) Knots the boat began to float to the surface very very slowly.
Not sure if lurker_hlb3 did this or someone else.

Regards!
TheBeast

SHIV-MediaFire | SHV-MediaFire
TheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-11, 06:17 PM   #66
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

Nice , TDW needs to read this and fix in his UI mod
Dont alter it while on patrol , you will ctd .

Last edited by THE_MASK; 10-22-11 at 07:29 PM.
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-11, 02:46 PM   #67
Dermeister
Mate

Downloads: 134

Links are dead
Dermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-11, 03:05 PM   #68
kylania
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 117

It's already part of TDW NewUIs 6.8.0, so you don't need to install the stand alone versions anymore.

kylania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-11, 05:11 PM   #69
0rpheus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 87
Uploads: 3

Don't suppose there's any chance of another version of this that allows us to hold depth lower than 150m? Constantly sinking below 150m drives me mad and as for the 'realism' aspect, I'm pretty sure SH4 didn't do anything of the sort, no matter how low you went.

Pretty please?
0rpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-11, 03:11 PM   #70
Halface
Bosun

Downloads: 135

guess you dont sacuba dive....kinda same princiaple...specilly useing drysuit....lower down you get the air get more compressed...had a ballon with me down and it was big first but down on 20m it was rather small...

neeed to read more about the historic facts but..to maintain depths below 150m you have to have some spead so the dive planes can maintain the depth ...kinda logical too but it all deppends how realistic you wont to play the game..
Halface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-11, 03:23 PM   #71
0rpheus
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halface View Post
guess you dont sacuba dive....kinda same princiaple...specilly useing drysuit....lower down you get the air get more compressed...had a ballon with me down and it was big first but down on 20m it was rather small...

neeed to read more about the historic facts but..to maintain depths below 150*m you have to have some spead so the dive planes can maintain the depth ...kinda logical too but it all deppends how realistic you wont to play the game..
Yeah, I know buoyancy decreases the lower you go, but at the same time I'd be surprised to find that it was impossible to maintain a constant depth lower than 150m at any speed but stopped. I guess in reality your crew would be working the planes and trim tanks to keep you as stable as possible, rather than sitting there like idiots doing nothing while the boat sinks to its doom!

Problem with the current method is, unless you have 7 or 8 hours to spend at your PC dealing with DD depth charges after an attack, you're bound to use a little TC when escaping. Not holding depth lower than 150 makes this very difficult, and it also negates any extra depth a given hull might have over another (7a vs 7c41, for example, which has a lower test depth), except in circumstances where you've lost control and are sinking (and lets face it, by that point it's probably too late, regardless!).

Yo-yo-ing the boat manually is currently the only way to get around this, and that doesn't feel terribly realistic either! I think 'realism' is what you make of it, and everyone has different opinions on what isn't appropriate - so this is just me hoping someone will make my SH5 life a teeny bit easier, realism be damned

*just realised it's 170m not 150 - but during play, sitting at 170m, a single DC close by will push you below the threshold and begin sinking. During heavy bombardments I get knocked up to 10m or so lower, depending on the circumstances, so I stay at 150 because it's the only way to be sure I won't get pushed past the sink line!
Old 10-31-11, 03:30 PM   #72
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rpheus View Post
Yeah, I know buoyancy decreases the lower you go, but at the same time I'd be surprised to find that it was impossible to maintain a constant depth lower than 150m at any speed but stopped. I guess in reality your crew would be working the planes and trim tanks to keep you as stable as possible, rather than sitting there like idiots doing nothing while the boat sinks to its doom!

Problem with the current method is, unless you have 7 or 8 hours to spend at your PC dealing with DD depth charges after an attack, you're bound to use a little TC when escaping. Not holding depth lower than 150 makes this very difficult, and it also negates any extra depth a given hull might have over another (7a vs 7c41, for example, which has a lower test depth), except in circumstances where you've lost control and are sinking (and lets face it, by that point it's probably too late, regardless!).

Yo-yo-ing the boat manually is currently the only way to get around this, and that doesn't feel terribly realistic either! I think 'realism' is what you make of it, and everyone has different opinions on what isn't appropriate - so this is just me hoping someone will make my SH5 life a teeny bit easier, realism be damned
Open up the sub's .sim file and play with the submerged displacement value. You have to tweak this to get what you're wanting Change in small increments
Old 10-31-11, 03:32 PM   #73
0rpheus
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
Open up the sub's .sim file and play with the submerged displacement value. You have to tweak this to get what you're wanting Change in small increments
Ahh ok, figured it was best to steer well clear of altering .sim files, but I'll give it a go Cheers TDW!
Old 12-17-11, 08:03 PM   #74
Akula4745
Convicted Ship Killer

Location: Just out of sight... plotting your course and speed
Downloads: 371
Uploads: 1

TDW - since some of us with under-powered PCs can no longer use your New UIs - could the links to your depth keeping fix be restored? I think I need the stock and FX version instead of the UHS version...

Thanks in advance, sir.

"If you sit by the river long enough... the body of your enemy will float by -- SunTzu"
Akula4745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-11, 08:14 PM   #75
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akula4745 View Post
TDW - since some of us with under-powered PCs can no longer use your New UIs - could the links to your depth keeping fix be restored? I think I need the stock and FX version instead of the UHS version...

Thanks in advance, sir.
http://www.gamefront.com/files/21093...DarkWraith_zip