SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-20-19, 04:16 PM   #1
Aries
Swabbie

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0
Default Help with mouse sensitivity please

Hi all, coming back to Silent Hunter after a long hiatus. New machine, new OS, took a bit to get the game working. But now I'm having a problem controlling my views. My mouse movements are WAY too sensitive and my views are swinging wildly all over the place. It's very hard to properly search the horizon when the slightest nudge spins my periscope 20 degrees! Does anyone have a solution I might be able to use? I'm running Silent Hunter 4 with the U-Boat expansion from Steam on a Win 10 machine with an Nvidia graphics card. Any help or ideas woule be appreciated!
Aries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 05:37 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Which folder is the game installed in? Steam does like "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam \SteamApps \common \Silent Hunter...", which will complicate your life later if you go to use mods.

Do you have any mods installed at this time? When doing the Steam v1.5 with Uboat Missions, there is a 2nd SH4 start link. Are you starting from the Steam Library page?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 08:35 PM   #3
Aries
Swabbie

Thank for replying! The install is located in D:/Steam Games/steamapps/common/Silent Hunters Wolves of the Pacific. I have no mods whatsoever, only SH4 and U-Boat missions and I'm using the Uboat Missions shortcut to start the game. Are there any other updates? I'm still working my way through the mod workshop, but unless I can get this fixed there won't be a lot of point.
Old 01-20-19, 08:43 PM   #4
propbeanie

Now, that is the "latest / greatest", and over 10 years old... sigh... Does all of the 3D ships & sea look OK in the game? You don't happen to have any other graphic anomalies?... I've got several "brands" of laser mice on my desktops and laptops, and the only thing I can think of is a configuration applet for the mouse, like a Logitech or Microsoft "Mouse Properties"... ?? The game uses whatever Windows gives it, which does come through the DirectX interface, so be sure your DirectX v9.0C installed with the game.

Old 01-20-19, 10:44 PM   #5
Aries
Swabbie

Everything looks fine so far. I've not started a career yet, only the training missions. I'll poke around my mouse settings and see if I can tune the sensitivity for just SH4. I was hoping there was some hidden setting or confit that I could edit, like in some other games. Thanks!
Old 01-21-19, 07:32 AM   #6
propbeanie

I do not recall there being any mouse sensitivity settings in the game, though there may well be. Perhaps someone else will chime in about it.

I do know one thing that will greatly affect the mouse in the game, and that is if you "shell-out" to windows while playing - er, "testing" your set-up... The game is an old WinXP game, using a single core on your computer, and expects exclusive use of all the resources, especially the video and audio streams. If you use the Windows key, or the <Alt><Tab> or <Ctrl><Tab> combinations to leave the game and go out to the Windows desktop to do something else (or if the cat comes along and walks across your keyboard ), then when you go back in, the game seems somewhat confused, and you will notice the mouse being overly sensitive, as well as other "glitches". The use of high Time Compression settings (sometimes as low as a TC > 2048) can also affect things like that at times.

Old 01-21-19, 10:49 AM   #7
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 215

You can set your Mouse Pointer speed in the Mouse Properties page in Windows 10.

https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/change-...ed-windows-10/

If you have a "Customizable Mouse" such as the R.A.T. 7, they come with a configuration applet. My RAT 7 has programmable pointer speeds which I have set from very fast to very, very, slow. It works very well in SH4.

Gone but not forgotten, RIP Dave "LeoVampire".
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-19, 04:24 PM   #8
stork100
Weps

Downloads: 92

Further to this I would like to add that my impression has been that the values in the stock SH4 cameras.dat, a file controlling panning of views and such, tend to be a bit sensitive whereas most subsequent mega mods have slowed things down somewhat in this respect, something you might consider for the future. Though seeing as you're just trying to get things basically working I wouldn't advise any editing in this area at this time. One thing I may suggest in addition to what others have advised is to hold down ctrl whilst rotating views. This will slow the rotation and increase precision. Holding shift makes it faster, incidentally.
stork100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-19, 12:29 AM   #9
Aries
Swabbie

OK! I'll try installing one of the mega mods and see how that goes. Can y'all recommend one? I'm seeing a bunch that look great but don't really know which one I want. I'm mostly looking for stability and perhaps a bit of graphic enhancement. Once I've played a bit and gotten used to the game I'm sure I'll be able to figure out just exactly how I want to mod the game. Just a "general improvment" mod for now I suppose is what I'm looking for.

Thank you for the replies!
Old 01-22-19, 01:27 AM   #10
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries View Post
OK! I'll try installing one of the mega mods and see how that goes. Can y'all recommend one? I'm seeing a bunch that look great but don't really know which one I want. I'm mostly looking for stability and perhaps a bit of graphic enhancement. Once I've played a bit and gotten used to the game I'm sure I'll be able to figure out just exactly how I want to mod the game. Just a "general improvment" mod for now I suppose is what I'm looking for.

@Mouse sensitivity@
Find this:

Thread here
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...=176708&page=2

Or this( inverted mouse speed)For SH3 but you can watch in yours cfg file...
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...5&postcount=24

Last edited by hauangua; 01-22-19 at 02:24 AM. Reason: Link wrong
hauangua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-19, 07:48 AM   #11
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 215

Quote:

I recommend Trigger Maru Overhaul v2.5 to start with.

Later on you can jump into the FOTRSUv.* beta testing. It's a barrel of "fun".

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=155786

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=132330

Gone but not forgotten, RIP Dave "LeoVampire".
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-19, 10:39 PM   #12
Aries
Swabbie

So I finally got a bit of time and installed Trigger Maru 2.5. Problem solved! I can control my periscope now! Thank you all for your helpful comments.

Old 01-24-19, 07:28 AM   #13
Bleiente
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
So I finally got a bit of time and installed Trigger Maru 2.5. Problem solved!
I think that single-mod TMO is not the best option for re-entry, as it is a difficulty mod and more suitable for experienced players.

But if you want to stay with TMO, you need the campaign patch for TMO2.5:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=3506

If you feel disturbed by the extremely blue color of the water (somehow reminiscent of jello)...
http://workupload.com/file/kdwbDXp

Last but not least - have you installed and activated JSGME and the 4GB patch (alternatively LAA)?
https://workupload.com/file/4LWqqpxY

Old 01-25-19, 08:21 PM   #14
Aries
Swabbie

I've not installed the large address aware patch. I'd understood that it was for if you were getting crashes. Is it in fact a good preventative patch to install just for general purpose playing? And I installed TMO manually. Thanks again!
Old 01-25-19, 08:30 PM   #15
Capt. James Hook
Nub

Downloads: 59

My game was running slow and choppy so I gave up playing and went fly for a year or so. Last month I installed the large address thing and wow, smooth sailing.

Do give it a try.
Capt. James Hook is offline   Reply With Quote