SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-05-18, 01:00 PM   #6091
Stig783
Nub

Downloads: 66
Uploads: 0

Hey guys I've been playing FOTRS and found a wonderful glitch where multiple vessels are spawning on top of each other. Happened in the Truck Lagoon area near the Dublon base.

https://ibb.co/mUCxso

Last edited by Stig783; 06-05-18 at 04:28 PM.
Stig783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-18, 02:02 PM   #6092
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RampantParanoia View Post
... Edit: I also came across a Medium Modern Split Freighter that was riding really low in the water, pretty much decks awash. I didn't realise until I'd hit it with 2 torpedos so no pictures, sorry. It was at 122 54'E, 28 32'N, sank at 07:44 on March 21st 1942.
Does this look about right, RampantParanoia?

I have found entirely too many suspects, but one sitting low (or high) in the water usually means a bad spawn, either at origination, or when the computer goes to draw it when you get close enough for the render to occur. That could be from another group crossing through them just then, but I'm still looking... btw, was it by itself? - and we'll have to wait and see what someone else says about those dive planes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig783 View Post
Hey guys I've been playing FOTRS and found a wonderful glitch where multiple vessels are spawning on top of each other. Happened in the Truck Lagoon area near the Dublan base...
-pic-
What was the date there Stig783? Anything prior to March1, 1942 is in the 41a layer, which we found has issues with "Dates", and hopefully has been dealt with... Anything after that... well, we'll have to look into that a little closer. Are you by the docks with this picture? Any other mods on top of FotRSU? Did you start with a "fresh" install of SH4, including removing the Save folder?...

That's Dublon circled, and there is a dock on the South side, but also an "anchorage just South and West of that...

Thanks!

PS: How do you like my duckduckgo "eye" on the duck?...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 06-05-18 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Arts & crafts...
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-18, 03:47 PM   #6093
Stig783
Nub

Downloads: 66

The date is 28 November of 1942 and my sub was just East of Dublons base just after the shallow waters. Picked up several vessels on long range, took the external camera to check and saw the ships like in the screenshot. I did install a fresh copy of SH4 with the mod and I also erased the save file before running the game. Only have one other mod installed and that's a Torpedo mod Critical Hits believe it is called.

UPDATE

I managed to reload a save and find the ships spawning again, this time they appeared closer to Dublon docks, they seem to be arranged together again but not quite on top of each other. Date this time is 22 November 1942.

https://ibb.co/msyb2o

Also got a map for you know its small but the red dot is where I marked their spawn location. Provided a link if you need a bigger view.
https://ibb.co/buciXo

Last edited by Stig783; 06-05-18 at 04:35 PM.
Stig783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-18, 05:38 PM   #6094
RampantParanoia
Watch

Downloads: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I have found entirely too many suspects, but one sitting low (or high) in the water usually means a bad spawn, either at origination, or when the computer goes to draw it when you get close enough for the render to occur. That could be from another group crossing through them just then, but I'm still looking... btw, was it by itself? - and we'll have to wait and see what someone else says about those dive planes...
Yup that looks right, sorry that's turned out loads of suspects! The ship was by itself, no convoy or anything.

I'm on my next patrol now in a new boat class and I'm getting absolutely swamped by aircraft about 2/3 of the way from Midway to Japan. Like 5 at a time, sustained over hours to the point where I've run out of battery and can't stay on the surface to charge without getting harassed. I haven't had much trouble with aircraft up to this point (the odd H6K etc, easy to avoid) but this is a bit much!

I stuck a guy on the AA gun to fend them off, and when he shot one down the message for a ship sinking came up (we hit it, going down, taking on water) instead of something relevant to shooting an aircraft down.

I'm away from my PC now but should be able to add detail on date/location/etc tomorrow. From memory the aircraft were mainly Zeroes and Petes. I'll try and remember to see if the dive planes rig out properly on the new boat as well.

Edit: I'm in a Gar, date is May 1st 1942, location is 159 40' E 35 58' N, time is 17:11. The plane I shot down was a Zero. The Petes are labelled 'ship based', perhaps I'm near an undetected carrier group which is causing the extreme air cover.

Last edited by RampantParanoia; 06-06-18 at 04:19 AM.
RampantParanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-18, 05:44 PM   #6095
Sniper450
Officer

Downloads: 177

Quote:
Are you seeing that in the harbor Sniper450? Or out sailing on the ocean blue? Are you up in Uchiura Bay, or out further? Tsugaru Straits? Have you got a lat/long position, or mileage or something? The time frame is in the 41a layer, and there are some issues with the layer files due to the RGG having mostly 19380101 start dates for the ships. Hopefully, the next update will eliminate this issue...
From Muroran its 125 on the compass approx. 32 nm. I still haven't looked into a way to include pics yet sorry.
Sniper450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-18, 08:06 PM   #6096
Immelmann
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 106

Quote:
I'll take a sarsaparilla! In the meantime, hold off a couple of days or so on that re-install there Immelmann... we are working on a potential fix to the incessant plane attacks, plus a few other tweaks...
Thanks propbeanie. I'm good now. I have been running multi-SH4 and simply went to my third and final installation folder. Followed proper procedure. Activated v0.71 and now have FOTRSU working correctly for me with all dials and indicators behaving as I expect them to. Thanks to all who helped me with the diagnosis. Now I wrestle with graphics issues. Anyone who could provide a link or a .nip file to help me get my card doing it's job correctly for this game would be greatly appreciated. Primarily I am getting the rigging lines and other straight lines, like the deck surface of the boat looking pretty jaggy and unrealistic. Thanks again.

Acer Predator G6-720
Intel Core i7 7th Gen 7700K (4.20 GHz)
16 GB DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB GDDR5X
256 GB NVMe SSD 2 TB SATA III SSD 2 TB SATA III HDD
Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 Pure Edition
Windows 10 Home 64-Bit, FOTRS Ultimate v0.90_RC3, LAA
Immelmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-18, 08:41 AM   #6097
Larrywb57
Tazmanian Devil

Downloads: 366

FOTRS Ultimate Team,
I too have noticed that the gauges in the control room, conning tower and the bridge have been frozen except at the beginning before saving. I received a new boat after the porpoise class, a tambor class boat. After leaving Pearl Harbor, all the gauges worked to whatever the settings on the task bar were. After saving, I now noticed that they are frozen. I went back to the first save after receiving the current the boat and loaded the save. Where the gauges were working, after loading the save, they are frozen.

I hope this adds another cue as to why this is happening.
C:\...100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v.1.8
Larrywb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-18, 10:26 AM   #6098
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrywb57 View Post
FOTRS Ultimate Team,
I too have noticed that the gauges in the control room, conning tower and the bridge have been frozen except at the beginning before saving. I received a new boat after the porpoise class, a tambor class boat. After leaving Pearl Harbor, all the gauges worked to whatever the settings on the task bar were. After saving, I now noticed that they are frozen. I went back to the first save after receiving the current the boat and loaded the save. Where the gauges were working, after loading the save, they are frozen.

I hope this adds another cue as to why this is happening.
Larry if you've followed this "Command Room Dial issue" you've discovered the original problem was from "player error"....Immelmann discovered his issue was self inflected.

Before we start looking down a rabbit whole that turns up the same thing for you, I'd suggest you check what you're doing, or how you've installed your game, or how you use the "Save" feature?

We can't look over players shoulders and see what they do; where they install the game; what other things they do to the game to make it as it is? We make it so we can play it on our computers, and only hope the public can do the same. If the problem is with "saving" a game, I can only give you this advice.....use the following as a guide, "Tips for stable gameplay" from my "Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install" thread.

Sorry if this is a lot to read/follow, but the information has been proven to be accurate and has been compiled from several different sources over the years with the game's players. The game has ALWAYS had issues with "save's", that's something we can't fix....we just work with it.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-18, 11:20 AM   #6099
Larrywb57
Tazmanian Devil

When the latest version came out, I deactivated all mods, compared game files to the generated snapshot of games files when I loaded the copy of SH4 when it was new. One hundred sixteen changes to files when the comparison was done. I deleted the old Documents/SH4 folder. I decided to start out fresh by loading new copy of vanilla SH4. I done the comparison of the new files after re-booting my computer. Downloaded the version, but as it was downloading something didn't seem right because it stop downloading for a few moments. Not risking any chances of problems, deleted the copy and downloaded again. Place copy of new version in the SH4's mod folder and when finished, activated the mod.

Yes Sir, I have been following the 'Command Room Dial' issue. As before, installed in C:\Ubisoft\SH4. Just one thing sir and I won't comment on this issue again. I noticed that the dials freeze when the game is saved and loaded later. Starting over. I will re-install Sh4, I deleted the old Documents/SH4 folder and download a new copy of version 0.71.
Old 06-06-18, 11:39 AM   #6100
propbeanie

Larrywb57, can you start another career in a Tambor, and see what it does after a Save, please?...

Old 06-06-18, 12:01 PM   #6101
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig783 View Post
The date is 28 November of 1942 and my sub was just East of Dublons base just after the shallow waters. Picked up several vessels on long range, took the external camera to check and saw the ships like in the screenshot. I did install a fresh copy of SH4 with the mod and I also erased the save file before running the game. Only have one other mod installed and that's a Torpedo mod Critical Hits believe it is called...
Excellent. Thank you! I'll check into it. This would be the 42b layer, the 3rd to load, and should be something in the 42b_Jap_HarborTraffic.mis layer... Then again -should be- ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RampantParanoia View Post
Yup that looks right, sorry that's turned out loads of suspects! The ship was by itself, no convoy or anything.

I'm on my next patrol now in a new boat class and I'm getting absolutely swamped by aircraft about 2/3 of the way from Midway to Japan. Like 5 at a time ... I stuck a guy on the AA gun to fend them off, and when he shot one down the message for a ship sinking came up (we hit it, going down, taking on water) instead of something relevant to shooting an aircraft down...
The Petes come from Cruisers and Battleships with Scout Planes, and should not be "swarming" the way that they are. The next minor update hopefully will ameliorate that - hopefully. Thus far, preliminary tests have been good. But, they should also show as planes shot down, not ships sunk... ..

I do have the suspects for that ship narrowed down a bit more, but nothing definite, which is usual for this. The game will just mess up on some things at certain times, and sometimes all we can do is pretend that the ship has already been hit by a torpedo, and has redistributed its 'ballast'... High winds will sometimes do it also...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper450 View Post
From Muroran its 125 on the compass approx. 32 nm. I still haven't looked into a way to include pics yet sorry.
A picture isn't a necessity, but if you manage to do it, fantastic. The site here has a "Folder" for member use, but I'm not familiar with using it. I just use Imgur.com myself, and "bbCode link" with it. You make an account there, upload pictures to the account, click on one of the pictures you've uploaded, which opens a little utility window, and on the right-hand side are some buttons to click for different ways to include a picture here. The 2nd choice from the bottom is the one to use, because it will make a link with the appropriate img and /img bbCode tags for the picture to display. Doing it that way though, you have to upload an appropriately sized picture to begin with, else you use one of the other choices that would make a thumbnail then, for a direct link to the picture in your account... But I've been searching through the game's files based on your description just fine. There's not as much traffic up that way anyway...

Old 06-06-18, 12:01 PM   #6102
Larrywb57
Tazmanian Devil

Will do, but a later time. Honey do list calling.
Old 06-06-18, 01:00 PM   #6103
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1106
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrywb57 View Post
Will do, but a later time. Honey do list calling.
Hello Larrywb57,

One way to check your download has downloaded correctly, is to download WinMD5free from here and install as normal and compare the checksum value matches the sequence in the post linked here
Old 06-06-18, 01:21 PM   #6104
propbeanie

... and Stig783, we definitely found the issue at Truk. - someone forgot to 'cap' the spawn on those two 'groups', so it (the spawn algorithm) was running every 24 hours... - I'd like to say it was Bob Schmidt that did it, but I'd be lying... It was his brother Pete - well, his name starts with a "p" and ends with an "e"... ...

Old 06-06-18, 01:24 PM   #6105
RampantParanoia
Watch

Downloads: 45

Quote:
The Petes come from Cruisers and Battleships with Scout Planes, and should not be "swarming" the way that they are. The next minor update hopefully will ameliorate that - hopefully. Thus far, preliminary tests have been good. But, they should also show as planes shot down, not ships sunk... ..
Fair enough They show up as planes shot down in the captain's log, but the little notification window message is that of a ship being sunk.

I've just checked and the diving planes deploy correctly when I give the dive order on the Gar.