SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-13-18, 08:26 AM   #5761
yyzBegonia
Gunner

Downloads: 129
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Very nice, Peter!

We've been busy trying to iron-out some "recently" discovered issues (well, within the last year anyway), and I've been doing some "testing" of different set-ups, while CapnScurvy and s7rikeback do all the heavy lifting. We're trying to get some AI subs to sink, so to speed things along, for the target practicing, I've gone the auto-targeting, quick reload route, with no duds. Well, all that doesn't stop this:

That's #6 tube coming back to gitt me. it missed me here... No more than 10 degrees of angle on the shot either... I dived after I heard the screws getting louder again (I at first thought it was gnats buzzing in my ears), and then I looked on the attack map, and there it is, coming after me!...

But this one did things a little different from any I've watched before, and that is that it spiraled down...

didn't miss me there... I'm down at 110 or so here...

... got hit, and we were on our way down for good. Notice the depth there... Couldn't maintain, even at Ahead Flank after the impact, and a blow ballast after this shot didn't do a thing. Boat was laying kind of sideways and trying to corkscrew itself down. Would not right itself... wow.

A target practice mission, and I sank myself (agaiin)... It circled around me I'll bet six times or more. You could hear the thing circling, as it acted like a homing torpedo. It turned real sharp a couple of times. It was a Mk14, btw... mid 1944. This was one of those times I wish I would have had the video on recording...
I've encountered circular runner for a few times, but such things never happened to me..... They just normally run in circles around and it's not likely that it will hit you due to its relatively larger radius of trajectory.
Old 02-13-18, 09:24 AM   #5762
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Wow propbeanie, a guy can't even use a "test" mission without shooting yourself in the foot! No fault of your own, just the random behavior of the game. That's cool!

As he mentioned, s7rikeback and I have been "neck deep" in going over files that FOTRS has as duplicates...either in their "naming" scheme, or in duplicate ID's. Either way, these kinds of issues need to be corrected so the game doesn't become confused in which object to use, with whatever its trying to render. A task that's not for the faint of heart since you have to make sure your "correction" works with all other parts of the game that may use the same object.

On a lighter note (if this really is one), I've been working over the American PT Boat. My interest in it has come about due to the additions of AI Torpedoes and placing them on the boat. Unlike the other ship units (there's now over 75) that I've got the AI Torpedoes on, the PT Boat requires a special "setup" due to the lower quantity of torpedoes. I'm also trying to have them be more accurate in hitting their mark, since their lack of shear numbers will decrease their hit percentages.

What??........ You just want "eye candy" from the PT Boat?!? No way!

So, I'm still working on them, trying different things.

A couple of things that's been added to Ultimate's PT Boat has been their Machine Gun "Tub" (I call it) with a 50 cal single and twin. A better looking search light too. Here's an image of an original:

Here's what I've got:

Not quite the same, but close enough!

With permission from AOTD/MadMax, we've got his German Schnellboat being used....with our AI Torpedoes:

So we're coming along on our next version of Ultimate.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-18, 10:51 AM   #5763
Bleiente
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Wow... nice @CapnScurvy.
Old 02-13-18, 12:14 PM   #5764
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

You just have to be a bit more careful Bleiente with what you run out in front of in the game now... where's my evil laugh?... boo-ah-ha-ha-ha-ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzBegonia View Post
I've encountered circular runner for a few times, but such things never happened to me..... They just normally run in circles around and it's not likely that it will hit you due to its relatively larger radius of trajectory.
I've literally run into them before, from my boat being on the move usually when shooting, but this is the first time I've ever dove deep into one -AND- it did not do the usual steady circle run. This thing changed not only depth, but radius, like the rudders had broken or something. It did wide turns, sharp turns, then back to wide, back to sharp, and that's what got me, the last sharp turn it did, almost like it was homing in on me. I've lost count now of how many times this has happened recently... what, five?? six?? been sunk 3 times, one dud and two complete misses?? Of course, I've done a LOT of torpedo shooting the last year in this mod...

Come to think of it, I wonder if CapnScurvy has any homing torpedoes on airplanes?... super ~evil~ laugh boo-ah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!!! -but no, he doesn't... yet!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-18, 01:23 PM   #5765
Bleiente
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

You @Pb -as a service-commanding commander at DC- shows, but always turn away from the torpedo ... Problem - when changing position, the submarine has unfortunately the lift when diving (due to design).

Last edited by Bleiente; 02-13-18 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-13-18, 03:45 PM   #5766
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Say! that's my old favorite surface game! Fighting Steel isn't too far behind. Wish there were some updates for those... One question though, how do you turn away from a circle runner, when you're in the middle of its circle?...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-18, 08:40 AM   #5767
yyzBegonia
Gunner

BTW, I'm very curious that if anybody have managed to import models from some new games such as World of Warships, or even War Thunder...
Old 02-14-18, 09:45 AM   #5768
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
BTW, I'm very curious that if anybody have managed to import models from some new games such as World of Warships, or even War Thunder...
Wouldn't that necessitate copyright infringement?

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-18, 01:29 PM   #5769
yyzBegonia
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Wouldn't that necessitate copyright infringement?
Probably... Anyway I do know some people imported models from WOWS and WT into their mods... (Not in SH)
Old 02-15-18, 03:46 AM   #5770
Faith
Bosun

Downloads: 73
Uploads: 6

Can I just say that I LOVE the new periscope sound. It is such a satisfying thing to hear. In Stock game, it didn't really strike my ears. It tried to sound smooth without feeling slick. Here, the mechanical CLUNK and ~whirl~ give it presence and weight, and strikes you immediately as a heavy, powerful piece of engineering.
Whoever recorded or made this has my applause.
Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-18, 07:16 AM   #5771
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Probably... Anyway I do know some people imported models from WOWS and WT into their mods... (Not in SH)
Just to be clear on the SubSim policy:
Quote:
What is Subsim.com's stance in relation to torrents, warez, and piracy?
SUBSIM Review has a longstanding policy against software piracy.
We do NOT allow discussion or even mention of game piracy, warez, peer-to-peer game swapping, game cracks, illegal download sites, or illegal file-sharing. Nothing will get you banned faster than pointing people to illegal software distribution sites. Don't ask for serial numbers, manuals, or cracks. Any admission that you have in your possession illegal software can and usually will result in revocation of your Radio Room forum account and permanent ban. We do not care what you do on your computer in your home, but do not discuss it here.Support computer game programmers buy legally purchasing their work. They have to eat too, you know.

Discussion of torrents is also not allowed on this site. Please don't post links to torrents in our forum.

Abandonware: games that are 8~10+ years old and are no longer available for sale commercially by the IP owner will be exempted on a case by case basis. An inquiry may be made about the status of a particular game in the Classic Subsims forum. Subsim will make a good faith effort to clear the use of the game with the last known copyright holders. If we were to receive an objection or legal challenge, we would reverse our position is regards to the game in question.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-18, 05:24 PM   #5772
yyzBegonia
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Just to be clear on the SubSim policy:
Actually I don't have these mods at all or on the other words, I don't play that game anymore for quite a while. (I'm a WOWS and old WT gamer so why don't I play the original one rather than mods?) I just confusing that I know some people are doing this and nothing seems happened... I am not exactly clear about the EULA tbh, then I doubt if the model-export is illegal. Anyway, I apologize for this stupid question...
Old 02-16-18, 08:18 AM   #5773
CapnScurvy
Admiral

You guys want to discuss SubSim policy, I respectively request you take it elseware.

Try a Personal Message.

Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
Old 02-16-18, 10:53 AM   #5774
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1105
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post

With permission from AOTD/MadMax, we've got his German Schnellboat being used....with our AI Torpedoes:

So we're coming along on our next version of Ultimate.
Capn, If this is the model I converted from SH3 , the author is Sergbuto whom has indeed given us permissions to use.

RR, has a copy of the permissions granted.

Last edited by s7rikeback; 02-16-18 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Typo
s7rikeback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-18, 11:53 AM   #5775
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7rikeback View Post
Capn, If this is the model I converted from SH3 , the author is Sergbuto whom has indeed given us permissions to use.

RR, has a copy of the permissions granted.
OK, thanks s7rikeback for clearing that up!!

I too have added models that have been originally released by other modders with their permission. Several of the Plane models are from other mods already released within the three Silent Hunter versions. All with their authors permission....... Sergbuto and/or JU_88. I've had Lurker_hlb3 permission for a good while now to use his creations as I see fit. As always, these creators have been generous to allow me to use their work. Providing them their credit is always going to be my top priority! I may have to change/correct/modify things as I go, but their underlining work will always take "top billing" over my modifications.

Quote: