Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 04-20-12, 09:47 PM   #1
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115
Uploads: 0

I am a Subsimmer. I have recently started looking into tank sims.

Is there a modern day tank sim out there with a 3D interior?

Old 04-21-12, 09:17 AM   #2
von Kinderei
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 150

The only one I'm aware of is Steel Beast PRO http://steelbeasts.com/
Old 04-21-12, 01:18 PM   #3
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Ok. Steel beasts pro is also 100$. Any ww2 sims with a 3D tank interior?
Old 04-21-12, 04:45 PM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Red October,

please check the stickied resource threads at top of the thread list, there is one for Steel Beasts that gives you plenty of links, also one for TvT, which officially is discontinued, but there is a - costly - mod abo available.

The SBP thread also contains the link to the video thread that may give you examples on what to expect. Note that the videos are from the past 6 years or so, representing very different developement stages and versions. Start with the newer videos first.

Can't help you on TvT, but if you have questions on SBP, ask.

Lieste btw is closer to the title and knows more about it's background data and internal developement, if I interpret his occasional postings correctly.

-----

Your choice depends on era you are interested in, and what you define to be a "sim". Let the price tag of SBP not bother you, if SBP is the matter that is interesting you. If you really want a simulation, and modern era tansk and first class interactive 3D interiors, you will find out soon why many players consider SBP to be extremely cheap. There is also ongoing developement and first class support. Their forum usually has at least one team member present at all times.
Old 04-21-12, 05:32 PM   #5
Beagle1963
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 385

T-34 vs. Tiger is a WWII Tank Simulation
Beagle1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-12, 10:16 PM   #6
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Allright. I'll try out these threads and do some looking. I like the demo of T-72 Balkans on Fire. I will look at the SBP videos. And we'll see about these tanksims.
Old 04-21-12, 10:34 PM   #7
von Kinderei
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 150

Steel Fury is fun and has interior views though limited and I think it can still be had plus theres missions and mods still bein' done for it
Old 04-22-12, 08:38 AM   #8
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

I haven't heard of that one yet. I think i'll check that one out.
Old 04-28-12, 07:30 AM   #9
ht-57
Sailor man

Downloads: 154

Quote:
Ok. Steel beasts pro is also 100$. Any ww2 sims with a 3D tank interior?
Fair enuf ,but here's alil somthing that someone brought to light bout Combat missions Shockforce.

SB Pro purchased for US $125 in what 2003 ish.

Updates 5 x US$25 = US$125.

Total US$250.

CMSF purchased in 2007: US$76 (incl. postage)
CMSF USMC: US$41 (incl. postage)
CMSF UK: US$41 (incl. postage)
CMSF NATO: U$41 (incl. postage)

Total US$199

CMSF prices as per 2007 - 2012

SB Pro PE entry price unchanged since 2003.

I know of very few products that haven't changed in price in 8 years (apart from discounted "discontinued" copies of software)

I don't see the difference being that large to be classified as "by far".

Then you have the other titles that are "cheap" to buy but extract cash via server "subscriptions".

This is all quite apart from "value for money" (e.g. SB Pro PE gives maps in excess of 20km x 20km maps, CM:SF maybe 3km x 3km, etc.).

I not saying CMSF is "bad", but price wise its on a par with SB Pro PE.
ht-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-12, 08:52 AM   #10
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ht-57 View Post
Fair enuf ,but here's alil somthing that someone brought to light bout Combat missions Shockforce.

SB Pro purchased for US $125 in what 2003 ish.

Updates 5 x US$25 = US$125.

Total US$250.
To correct some info.

SBP currently costs 100$. The printed manual currently is not shipped, thus the cost cut. It is not needed anyway. Earlierl, it costed 125$.

Of the several updates and upgrades and patches there have been since 2006, only the recent two upgrades costed money. 25$ each. All others, and hotfixes and patches anyway, were free.

New customers get the latest version of SBP and must not buy any of the old updates. They are included in the latest version.

So, new customers get the latest version for 100$.
Old customers who followed SBP since the release, so far have payed 175$ over 6 years, if they have the latest version today.

And there was no entry price for SBP-PE in 2003. The software was released in Spring 2006.
Old 04-28-12, 10:31 AM   #11
ht-57
Sailor man

Hey sky,
Thanks for the almost "correct" info .....saw that thread @ the SB site and thought it was close enuff, I recall buying in 06, I then upgraded in 07 to 2.46. I skipped 2.53 in 011. I then upgraded to 2.6.. So there were Three since 06, had I purchased all three I would have spent $175.
But really what are we talking $25 clams one way or the other??
@ the end of the day The beast rocks, Dollar for Dollar you can't beat it!

Say you are into COD.
not even going back that far
COD MW II $60 approx new w/tax
COD WAW $60
COD BO $60
COD MW III $60
COD 4 $60
That's 'bout $300.00, so ya think Sbpro is really that costly? BTW have ya been to a gas pump lately?
Old 04-28-12, 10:56 AM   #12
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Hey sky,
Thanks for the almost "correct" info .....saw that thread @ the SB site and thought it was close enuff, I recall buying in 06, I then upgraded in 07 to 2.46. I skipped 2.53 in 011. I then upgraded to 2.6.. So there were Three since 06, had I purchased all three I would have spent $175.
But really what are we talking $25 clams one way or the other??
@ the end of the day The beast rocks, Dollar for Dollar you can't beat it!
Don't want to be picky, but in 2007 they still did not charge for the packs, also not in 2008 . Not sure on 2009 anymore, my memory fails me. Also please note that there were many releases: updates including patches and new stuff, hotfixes or patches for those updates, and upgrades that recently became payware. I am certain of the last one in winter 2011 and the year before in 2010, these two costed money. I think before that everything was free. Also note that the history list of releases on their homepage, at the bottom, no longer is complete. They have deleted several minor files that would qualify as hotfixes and patches. All in all I think there were around 8-10 released version modification by now, if counting everything.

It'S a bit difficult to keep track of all the updates they had. I had it all listed in the resource thread once, but deleted it when it became obsolete due to later updates coming as complete new installations. The patching sequence with several files was no longer needed then.

BTW, you are aware that the latest payware upgrade from December last year (2.640) meanwhile has gotten a free patch to 2.654? Just bug-squashing, and free.

"Tank them good - hit them from behind. "
Old 04-28-12, 12:36 PM   #13
ht-57
Sailor man

TYVM,
I am patched to 2.654. Sbpro pe has been on my pc for six years. when I see those who want a "tank sim" and shrug off the beast cause its 100 bucks I feel they are really missing out is all...
BTW sky ty for all you do here @ tanksim, Your review of sbpro was what sold me all those years ago, May I add that you really hit the mark with that review, spot on! still is an accurate good read today!
Old 04-28-12, 01:02 PM   #14
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Quote:

Say you are into COD.
not even going back that far
COD MW II $60 approx new w/tax
COD WAW $60
COD BO $60
COD MW III $60
COD 4 $60
That's 'bout $300.00, so ya think Sbpro is really that costly? BTW have ya been to a gas pump lately?

I buy COD when the price drops or i get them for christmas. Usually for Christmas. So i pay almost zero

Tanksims are costly. I think im going to hold off for a while. SBP website order page looks confusing so forget it.
Old 04-28-12, 03:41 PM   #15
Skybird
Soaring

RC,

what is confusing you? It's the first time ever I heared somebody complaining about this.

You choose the first option that costs 100$, and that is all. LINK

Manual is a pdf included with the software, you do not need to order a printed one separately. The software can be freely downloaded any time, even right now, I think you can install it even without dongle, and have access to all the pdfs there are. It just does not run until you have gotten the dongle.

Download the full version 2.640 from here: LINK
Scroll down a bit on that page. There are 6 rar-archives. Put them all in the same temporary folder, and launch the first one. Installation begins.

After that, download the (free) patch that brings it to v2.654 from here: LINK
It'S a small file, 32 MB or so. Run it, the rest is automatic

Voila, software installed. Once the dongle is available, that will install a software by itself, if I remember correctly.

Anyhow, the buying and downloading is not confusing at all, but is all nicely sorted.

Don't want to push you for it, I get no fee (although maybe I should ), its just that you are the first guy in six years I have heared complaing that it is "confusing".

Quote:
TYVM,
I am patched to 2.654. Sbpro pe has been on my pc for six years. when I see those who want a "tank sim" and shrug off the beast cause its 100 bucks I feel they are really missing out is all...
BTW sky ty for all you do here @ tanksim, Your review of sbpro was what sold me all those years ago, May I add that you really hit the mark with that review, spot on! still is an accurate good read today!
Thank you. Back then I had some errors in it, and today I would do such a review differently - though not less novel-like! . I tested some aspects too systematically back then, almost using tables and lists, and by that lost track of the bigger picture a bit. It was that lacking overview that helped to make me miss one or two small but important issues that thankfully soon got solved. Today I would focus more on the gaming experience itself, and do less bean-counting.

Ironically, Ssnake told me when I did that second article with the interview that he thinks it's too long and too narrating, and that people do not like it to be that long. But as a matter of fact it was exactly this length that hooked them plenty of customers. In 2006 I had some numerically solid email and PM feedback, that's why I have a good estimation on how much people I led towards their cashdesk back then, and since then. Must be in the range of 3-5 dozens - and that is just representing the people that gave me their feedback and said me they were off to get it. When I was younger, I LOVED to read much reviews and stuff about the games I liked and was interested in, it was part of the fun for me - and I wondered why other players should be that different from me. Also, writing the stuff was fun. Just the testing was - stress. I gave myself too little time.

Last edited by Skybird; 04-28-12 at 03:55 PM.
Skybird is online   Reply With Quote