SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-16-17, 02:04 PM   #1
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19
Default Das Boot diving alarm

I got 1.5 this weekend, and after a couple days playing around with it I have 3 copies on my F drive (a sandisk SSD), the original 1.4, new 1.5 with Operation Monsun, and an experimental with all the root files dated 12/20/2007 plus SH4.exe and the data\menu folder (minimum that won't crash).

Decided to try OM German Atlantic career, and when I went to dive I got a klaxon.

For those unaware, the US Navy is the only one that uses a klaxon horn for a diving alarm. U-boats (and British and Japanese subs) used a bell -

After looking around in the sounds folder I found;

Submarine_CrashDive_INT.wav
Submarine_DiveAlarm_INT.wav
Submarine_EmergencyBlow_INT.wav
Submarine_Surface_INT.wav

Those are all klaxons. One file;

Submarine Bell.wav

Sounds like the correct one for a U-boat, but before I go using a sound editor to replace the klaxon wave with the one from the bell, does anyone know if there's a way to set up the US subs to use the klaxon while the U-boats use the bell? Otherwise any mod would require using JGSME to enable and disable the bell sounds depending on which Navy you're in the mood to play.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-17, 03:08 PM   #2
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 0

You have 2 choices. Both would require JSGME so I'd do the sound file name change myself.

The other way requires you to edit the SHSound.act file. Unless you are very careful and know what your doing? That can lead to problems.
Old 04-16-17, 04:14 PM   #3
Sniper297
The Old Man

I have no clue what I'm doing, and I'm never careful - I just have backup copies of the file before I yell
"FIRE IN THE HOLE!" and push the plunger.

Seriously, opened it with a hex editor, looks like it would take a couple centuries to even find what controls what in there. Oddly enough there's also a SoundEdit.act file in the root directory, which at least suggests there must be a sound editing program someplace. Gotta wonder why they didn't think of that before adding the U-boat addon for this thing.

It's an extra 10 gigs, but the simplest cure seems to be having two different complete copies of the game, one for Yankee Doodle and the other for Das Boot. Clumsy, but it works.
Old 04-18-17, 05:23 PM   #4
Sniper297
The Old Man

Uploaded;

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom//dow...o=file&id=5178

Oddly enough it's not as big a pain as I thought it would be, since it's only four WAV files it only takes a second to enable/disable.