SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-27-10, 07:47 AM   #61
sav112
Gunner

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Task Force 1942 - I'm sure that was the game I loved chasing other boats firing on them and it was really easy to play you just told them what to fire at and cpt the ship.

You forget all these great games.
Old 03-27-10, 07:51 AM   #62
Morpheus
Ensign

Downloads: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSpot View Post
Go for it !

Let her take out her teeth and shell rock
Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 08:35 AM   #63
KL-alfman
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
Let her take out her teeth and shell rock

I bet there's high potential under the hood!
Old 03-27-10, 08:52 AM   #64
perisher
Frogman

Downloads: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by thruster View Post
we need the most realistic sim possible. whether thats a uber SH5 or SH10, as long as we get it.
for me personally, modern stuff is too techno driven, WW2 atlantic/med is the best era.
I would trade off any amount of eye-candy walk about the boat and chat to the crew graphics for more realistic submarine control. I would like to run my electric motors on the surface if I want to be very quiet or go backwards. (Real u-boat diesels could not run astern.) I would like to have some control over my trim, especially the use of negative buoyancy tanks. I would like more realistic deck guns.

Above all I would like more realistic charts, especially of coastal waters, showing the depth. 20th Century navies had reasonably accurate charts of the whole world. Raids on harbours were carefully planned taking water depth into consideration. I also want a calendar with sunrise/sunset, moon phase and moonrise/set.
Old 03-27-10, 08:59 AM   #65
thorn69
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I'd like to see a completely reworked subsim that is based on modern day attack subs. A Silent Hunter meets Dangerous Waters with a fully dynamic campaign based on a "What if" chapter in history.

Everybody wants some accurate portrayal of a historic war for some reason. To me, it's a bit boring, because I know as a German U-boat Captain, I'm a loser regardless. Give us an untold story to live out based on a "what if" scenario where the tides of the war can go either way. I don't believe one sub and its captain are going to win the war single handed, but mission success in the game could be covered with some form of overall success for the entire military based on your success. Regardless, I'd like to see multiple nations represented in the game and all the hardware they've got brought to the table, because the most fun about these types of games to me is exploring something totally new.

Off topic:

BTW, I'm having an absolute blast playing Just Cause 2 on the PC right now for those of you wondering about it. It's so much better than the first version! It's one of the best sandbox free-roam games I've ever played. The graphics and sounds are top notch and the island to explore is freakin HUGE! The game is very stable as well. Just shows that "it IS possible" for devs and software companies to produce something better than they produced before! Take notes from them UBI!
Old 03-27-10, 09:38 AM   #66
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

To deal with time compression they would have to about start everyone within a 15nm area, even then it would take hours to finish one battle.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 09:43 AM   #67
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

We don't "need" a SH6, but what's wrong with having one?
Old 03-27-10, 10:13 AM   #68
tonibamestre
中国水兵

Downloads: 82

No,nothing wrong Neal,but better we wait for 4 years from now and we have a state of art Naval Sim. No hurry.
tonibamestre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 11:00 AM   #69
janh
Stinking drunk in Trinidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarlsonus View Post
Earlier, "Sonarman" mentioned the old Microprose titles, "Silent Service," "Task Force 1942," and, "Red Storm Rising" as excellent examples of sims that succeed in immersing the player in the game. Having owned and played all those games, I emphatically agree! Matter of fact, "back in the day," whenever there was a party at my place, one would always find the 386SX - with VGA graphics (640x480), a HUGE 15" monitor, and 640K RAM - fired up and folks taking turns at the helm of an, "Improved Gato" in the Pacific or hammering away at an enemy task force 16 miles to the west.
Don't forget that at that time, there was essentially not predecessor for these games, and those were the first of their kind. So they impressed with what I usually call "novel game idea/features", and were basically ground-breaking simulations. Though some, like TF1942, was ripped apart by casual gamer magazines and critics, and failed to make a huge commercial impact. But who could have expected both of that for a game that is biased to naval warfare enthusiasts -- they are just few.

Silent Service II, although much more of a step forward in terms of graphics from Silent Service as compared to the steps between SHIII->SHIV-SHV (which to me look very much alike, and have basically already converged on photorealism), also wasn't a big success. Why? I guess because the game idea was used up by then, and they did not add many new game features that would have lead to a very different game experience.

It is pretty much the same with many old games, which were so new and exciting ideas/concepts that they were embraced quickly: Civilization, Railroad Tycoon, etc. But only very developers added in sufficient new content to make the sequels look sufficiently different. In that case, only long time separations to the prequel make a "copy" of a game concept with but updated graphics look sufficiently "novel" as it appears.
Old 03-27-10, 11:29 AM   #70
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonibamestre View Post
No,nothing wrong Neal,but better we wait for 4 years from now and we have a state of art Naval Sim. No hurry.
That's assuming the four years is spend in development. More likely it will be different people starting from nearly scratch with a completely different OS at one year before release.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 11:46 AM   #71
Heretic
Commodore

Downloads: 240
Uploads: 2

Personally, I'd prefer the expansion/DLC route to build on the current base rather than a new version which would abandon it. Imagine what SHIII would have been if all the development of SHIV had been done as add-ons instead of a new standalone product. All the improvements would have been applied to the original, fixing bugs, adding content, upgrading graphics and fx. You'd have one game where you could play the entire war in any theater as German or US sub, heck maybe even Japanese, British, and Italian to boot. Add realism mods on top of that - nirvana. That's my hope for this game.
Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 12:02 PM   #72
alexradu89
Lieutenant

Downloads: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
Personally, I'd prefer the expansion/DLC route to build on the current base rather than a new version which would abandon it. Imagine what SHIII would have been if all the development of SHIV had been done as add-ons instead of a new standalone product. All the improvements would have been applied to the original, fixing bugs, adding content, upgrading graphics and fx. You'd have one game where you could play the entire war in any theater as German or US sub, heck maybe even Japanese, British, and Italian to boot. Add realism mods on top of that - nirvana. That's my hope for this game.
Totally agree with you, Ubi would get some extra cash if they'd just launch some DLC/expansion packs that extend the campaign to 45 and introduce the other playable submarines, type II, IX, XXI, etc.
alexradu89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 12:27 PM   #73
goldorak
Admiral

If Ubisoft introduces DLC you can kiss modding goodbye 100% sure.
Look at whappened to MW2, no ability to mod whereas the first chapter had that possibility. The result, you end up paying 5 maps (2 of which are recycled from MW) 15 $. Is this the kind of business model you want for SH 6 ? Really ?
10 $ for a set of gauges
10 $ for a functional TDC
10 $ for a working realistic interface
an so on....
goldorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 12:59 PM   #74
Heretic
Commodore

Downloads: 240
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldorak View Post
If Ubisoft introduces DLC you can kiss modding goodbye 100% sure.
Look at whappened to MW2, no ability to mod whereas the first chapter had that possibility. The result, you end up paying 5 maps (2 of which are recycled from MW) 15 $. Is this the kind of business model you want for SH 6 ? Really ?
10 $ for a set of gauges
10 $ for a functional TDC
10 $ for a working realistic interface
an so on....
Oh yeah. I forgot how the U-boat add-on made SH4 unmoddable. Silly me.
Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 01:04 PM   #75
Kapitanleutnant
Frogman

Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
Oh yeah. I forgot how the U-boat add-on made SH4 unmoddable. Silly me.
An expansion pack is different from DLC. Hope this helps.