SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-24-18, 05:35 PM   #91
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlan5031 View Post
I have a nice new Del Alienware Gaming laptop. It comes with Windows 10. I installed SH 4 Gold from Amazon. The unmodded game runs with no problems so far. However, none of the downloaded mods can be made to show up. I have used JSGME/MODS setup in my other games successfully but not on SH 4. The installed mods show on my JSGME enabler and transfer from active/inactive, but they don't show up in the game.
I've read this thread and tried to follow the ideas and directions as well as I could without success.
The same version of SH 4 is on my old Windows 7 pc, and it works well.
Ant ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Usually, when mods that show as activated in JSGME don't show in the game itself, it's either a bad mod folder structure, or you've got the game installed in the "C:\Program Files (x86)" folder. If it's your install, you could copy the "Ubisoft" folder and then paste it into the root of C:\, so that you have "C:\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific...". You'll have to change your shortcuts and all, but the game doesn't care where it is. You could also uninstall and then re-install it in a different folder. Windows "protects" the "Program Files..." folders from alteration, which is what mods do.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-18, 01:16 PM   #92
jlan5031
Swabbie

Downloads: 123
Uploads: 0

Propbeanie,
Many thanks for your prompt and helpful reply. It allowed me to solve the problem. The main problem was my thinking I had taken care of the Programs(86) issue. Once I convinced myself I should look again, lo and behold, there was the Ubisoft folder! Everything fell into place, and now all is well.
My thanks again,
Jlan5031
jlan5031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-18, 01:40 PM   #93
propbeanie

Excellent! Glad you're going!

Now, if you're doing multiple mods, you might be interested into looking into using MultiSH4 v1.5 to help you manage multiple SH4 game save folders. Another helpful utility is Rockin Robbins' SH4CMS, which can help with easy recovery in the event that things go wrong. The only problem with it is having to follow the batch files' naming convention, but if you're into editing batch files, it's no biggie.

Happy hunting!

Old 02-17-18, 12:15 AM   #94
fireblade274
Swabbie

Downloads: 4
Default have win 10 and sh4 issues, figured this was best place

Hi, so this issue first started in sh4 uboats expansion. A after a short time of game play, new and old saves crash my computer. loading old ones result in immediate crash, new saves, my last one I deployed to the Solomon islands (i think), encountered a convoy, dived, took out a few ships, went to free cam to see last torpedo hit, when I went underwater to view near enemy ship, crashes computer. this is just one example, many similar others where crashing happens after 20-30 min of gameplay. Never installed or tried to use mods on SH4.

But after completely uninstalling everything, including using cc cleaner for registry and deleting sh4 from docs folder, and simply trying to run sh4 without the expansion, I just got the same aformentioned crash after 1+ hr of game play. It happened when i went free cam underwater near enemy ship hull. Game runs very smoothly, until it crashes. constant 60fps on max settings.

im getting ready to put my head through a mirror after uninstalling and reinstalling this (and TWOS but thats a different story. cant click on ok after games synchronized from server ) sooooo many times ive lost track. each time i have to start a new save, play for more then an hour, only to verify if have to start again. which i do

Slight venting: I just want to play sh4 uboats stock, or TWOS. preferably both, but you know at least one working would be like the tops right now

Here's my specs:
i5 4690k oc to 4.6 ghz
win10 64 bit
2x HD6950s crossfired
480gb SSD
8gb RAM
750w
fireblade274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-18, 02:13 AM   #95
Bleiente
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade274 View Post
Hi, so this issue first started in sh4 uboats expansion. A after a short time of game play, new and old saves crash my computer. loading old ones result in immediate crash, new saves, my last one I deployed to the Solomon islands (i think), encountered a convoy, dived, took out a few ships, went to free cam to see last torpedo hit, when I went underwater to view near enemy ship, crashes computer. this is just one example, many similar others where crashing happens after 20-30 min of gameplay. Never installed or tried to use mods on SH4.
Basically - never use old scores when changing the game version a/o modes.
Therefore, in such situations, it is always better to completely delete the folder SH4 under "My Documents". But do not worry, it will be recreated when you restart the game.

Since you have the Steam version of the game...
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...25&postcount=7
or Win10 problems
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...9&postcount=17

If this does not help, THEBERBSTER has put together all the tutorials related to SH4:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=219029

Old 02-21-18, 10:06 AM   #96
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade274 View Post

But after completely uninstalling everything, including using cc cleaner for registry and deleting sh4 from docs folder, and simply trying to run sh4 without the expansion, I just got the same aformentioned crash after 1+ hr of game play. It happened when i went free cam underwater near enemy ship hull. Game runs very smoothly, until it crashes. constant 60fps on max settings.

im getting ready to put my head through a mirror after uninstalling and reinstalling this (and TWOS but thats a different story. cant click on ok after games synchronized from server ) sooooo many times ive lost track. each time i have to start a new save, play for more then an hour, only to verify if have to start again. which i do

Slight venting: I just want to play sh4 uboats stock, or TWOS. preferably both, but you know at least one working would be like the tops right now

Here's my specs:
i5 4690k oc to 4.6 ghz
win10 64 bit
2x HD6950s crossfired
480gb SSD
8gb RAM
750w
What is your Windows 10 version and build?

I'm not talking about whether its a "Pro" or "Home" version, but what does your "Settings" / "System" / "About" page read?

If you don't know what I'm talking about, please read my Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install.

While reading the first post, go ahead and read the rest of the pages. Windows 10 has some things that prevent this old game from running as expected. If you follow what to do about checking your system to make sure it's "set" to play the game; plus installing it as I've described; plus adding Large Address Aware (LAA) properly; plus follow the "Do's and Don't" that I've outlined........ Windows 10 and the game will run better than ever!

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-18, 09:05 PM   #97
fireblade274
Swabbie

Downloads: 4

Thank you for your reply! ive been mucking around in TWOS, finally got it to work but i kinda really like the point and shoot aspect of sh4, plus i feel the sinking mechanics are better.

Any way, my win 10 pro version is 1709 and os build 16299.248

I read a bit of your link but WOW thats a lot of info to take in at once.. I guess the first question i have is, since i have steam, how can i get sh4 installed somewhere other then programs 86 folder? Is LAA steam friendly?
fireblade274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-18, 07:55 AM   #98
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Thanks for getting back regarding the version/build of Windows 10........that 1709 version, build 16299.248 is the latest as of this date. So, you're up to date with your Updates. GREAT!! That build number will change as Windows Updates itself. The Version 1709 is what they called their "Fall Creators Update" which has been a few months ago now. If Windows follows its pattern of upgrades, a newer version may not be too far off.

But lets work with the one we've got.

I'm happy to report some of the things I mentioned in my Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install are not needed to check with this newer version 1709. For instance the older legacy NetFramework versions are now included in the v.1709 build...and their "Enabled", so you don't have to go through your system and hand set their settings. Already done for you!

This means loading Large Address Aware onto your system to provide the game more access to the additional memory the game didn't plan on you having, will be much simpler. The question of which version of LAA should I use, is answered for you with the new 1709 build....use the "laa_2_0_4_NetFramework_4_5.zip" to work with the newer NetFramework v4.0 and newer, which is what's in v1709.

Now, your question of using a Steam download for the game.....oh boy, I'm not a Steam user. Never will be. I buy disk versions of games and never allow a seller to dictate to me when/what I can download. As you've already found out with Steam, you've had to purchase the "Base" SH4 version 1.3. To upgrade from v1.3, one of the most bug riddled game version Ubisoft pushed out on us (version 1.4 was much better!!) you've had to repurchase the last version of SH4 (v1.5) for an additional cost. Steam knows exactly what it's doing......getting players to buy a faulty version of the game, just to resell you a more stable version!! Sorry, I don't play that game!

So, I'm going to suggest you look here SH4 <> TUTORIALS <> HOW TO DO IT <> INFO <> DOWNLOAD LINKS -STICKY INDEX. The THEBERBSTER is a Steam user, so he's got some very good insight on what to do with a Steam download of the game. When you get your Steam questions figured out, I'll be happy to help you with anything else Windows 10 related concerning the game.

Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
Old 03-04-18, 05:36 PM   #99
propbeanie

THEBERBSTER now has his Steam links highlighted with ">STEAM User Information", so look for those. He has some nice color-coding to go with some nice information throughout his thread.

Old 03-05-18, 07:40 AM   #100
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi pb
Quote:
The THEBERBSTER is a Steam user,
Oh. no he is'nt.
Disc man every time.
Quote:
THEBERBSTER now has his Steam links highlighted with ">STEAM User Information",
Credit for this information in my tutorials goes to ValoWay
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-18, 08:07 AM   #101
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post
Hi pb
Oh. no he is'nt.
Disc man every time.
Credit for this information in my tutorials goes to ValoWay
Peter
Sorry Peter, I thought you were a Steam "man"....my fault!

Anyway, his instructions are still a "must read" for those that choose Steam.

Even though I'm not a follower, I've read the Steam Forums and there's good information there too. Guys like yourself that have issues with Steam, and what to do about it. Misery enjoys company!!

Quote:
Old 12-31-18, 05:48 AM   #102
bybyx
Ensign

Downloads: 942
Default Problems with anti aliasing

Hello, I got myself back to SH4 and I noticed that antialiasing doesn't work anymore, at least not for me. I got Win 10 pro with the latest updates and a Radeon RX 480 8GB video card by AMD. Is it the Win 10 to blame? I remember I could force antialiasing from the Radeon Settings end everything was just fine.
bybyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-19, 09:26 AM   #103
l02turner
Soundman

Downloads: 167
Default SH4 and Win10

Ahoy!
My SH4 1.4 ran fine until 2 weeks ago when it abruptly stopped launching. I tinkered with the settings until I found something that works. Here's what This works for me:
Compatibility Mode: Vista Serv Pk 1

Settings - No boxes checked,
Program DPI: Both Boxes Checked

Running on Version 1.4

It has run every time I tried it with these settings. I suspect a Win update changed something that caused my previous settings to stop working. No matter, it works now.

BTW, I also have the expanded list of single missions activated.

LarryT
l02turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-19, 12:00 PM   #104
GalaxianFive
A-ganger

Downloads: 183
Default SH4 ERROR

I had to re-install SH4 and the U-Boat addon after my computer had it,s drives blanked when it had to be repaired. When I try to run it asks for the serial No which I put in the boxes, then instead of running it says, unexpected error [13;6] and does not run. I have the original disc version, and it does not matter if I use that serial No or the addon serial No, I get the same result, Can anyone help. Michael.
GalaxianFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-19, 06:30 AM   #105
GalaxianFive
A-ganger

Downloads: 183
Default Error 13;6

I have contacted Ubisoft support to see if they can help. Michael
GalaxianFive is offline   Reply With Quote