SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-01-16, 02:23 PM   #1
Navigator857
CTR2 Jack Frost

Downloads: 290
Uploads: 0
Default New WWII Naval Simulator

Has anyone heard anything in regards to a possible new WW2 Naval Simulator (Ship or Sub), not a tactical game? With todays NewGen graphics and computer upgrades I'd thought someone would come out with a new Surface Ship and/or Submarine simulation game. Other than "Sailing Ships" we've had nothing. Is this our destiny? Is there future hope, (Buying out the license to Silent Hunter and putting out a Silent Hunter VI) perhaps? Just curious. Love playing SH4 with all the mods but would love nextgen graphics. Safe seas to all.

Jack

by....ME / QM3 Jack Frost, USS IOWA BB61 - Precom 1983 - 1987 / CTR2 Jack Frost - NSGA Northwest Chesapeake, VA. 1987 - 1994!
Navigator857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-16, 08:47 PM   #2
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator857 View Post
Has anyone heard anything in regards to a possible new WW2 Naval Simulator (Ship or Sub), not a tactical game? With todays NewGen graphics and computer upgrades I'd thought someone would come out with a new Surface Ship and/or Submarine simulation game. Other than "Sailing Ships" we've had nothing. Is this our destiny? Is there future hope, (Buying out the license to Silent Hunter and putting out a Silent Hunter VI) perhaps? Just curious. Love playing SH4 with all the mods but would love nextgen graphics. Safe seas to all.

Jack
You know I used to think the same thoughts when I was playing SH1. With the game play of SH1 and present day graphics what a game we would have. Then SH4 came along and since SH4 is almost 10 years old now, I guess it's inevitable that similar thoughts would come to the fore.

Rest assured if some company does announce a new sub simulator the news will be announced here at Subsim very soon.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-16, 09:40 PM   #3
RAM
Helmsman

Downloads: 66

A game with last graphics needs a big developer, and a lot resources.

Nowadays big developers are focused on producing arcade stuff for people who want to switch the brain off the second the switch their computer on (at least those who have a brain to begin with), or are just focused in making things with pretty graphics but no depth into it.

And then there's those who want to make a fortune by using historical stuff to justify games that could as well be using sandcrawlers off tatooine (World of Tanks, WoWS, War Thunder) in order to exploit the historical/simulation theme while being on the polar oposite of being either historical or simulations.

There are very few developers working on simulations out there, and those who are focus on the air part (Eagle Dynamics' DCS). Hopefully in the future we'll get a developer doing that stuff for warships, but doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon. Meanwhile in the next few months we'll have 4 new battlefields, 7 new craps...sorry...calls of duties, 12 new assassins creeds, etc, all of them identical to the previous one except for 2 or three things because those games sell by the millions, as the hordes of zombie gamers who crave for games for the braindead rather than for brains grow as each second goes by.

TL/DR: Nope. No naval simulators taking advantage of new gen technologies in sight.
RAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-16, 07:39 PM   #4
nsomnia
Weps

Downloads: 44
Default first f

In work by me and four other part time guys. Its a less than indie project but I'm finally taking it serious. Download it and take the first few days of prototyping out for a spin (it gimbal locks 90 degrees, fixed in the upcoming update as well as AI and torpedoes [straight running for now])

Cold war 1946-1991 focusing on early cold war nuclear.