SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-30-16, 01:51 PM   #1
sickpeople
Swabbie

Downloads: 34
Uploads: 0
Default Question about radar

Ok, i'm playing RSRDC with no other extra mods and it's 1942 July and HQ has finally given me the permission to purchase the Surface Radar. Sweet! Now I can track ships on surface without going to periscope depth for a sonar check. But can the japanese track me if I have it turned on all the time with some kind of radar detection system (I have no idea how the naval radar worked IRL)? Or should I just use it periodically and turn it off all the time?
Thanks in advance!
sickpeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-16, 12:48 PM   #2
flaminus
Sparky

Downloads: 502
Uploads: 5

I think in the early and middle of war, it's safe to turn on the radar.
I'm not sure is there any anti-radar equipment for japs later, but after August 1943, you can buy the "Radar warning receiver" for you sub, so you won't be caught by Japanese radar easily. Don't worry too much.
flaminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-16, 02:18 PM   #3
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Run the thing! It tells you the position, course and speed of everything out there and the only piece of information you give them is that you're out there somewhere. Granted, sometimes you won't want that known, but once detected, radar's advantages vastly outweigh the disadvantages.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-16, 01:53 AM   #4
Al Lowe
Bosun

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickpeople View Post
Ok, i'm playing RSRDC with no other extra mods and it's 1942 July and HQ has finally given me the permission to purchase the Surface Radar. Sweet! Now I can track ships on surface without going to periscope depth for a sonar check. But can the japanese track me if I have it turned on all the time with some kind of radar detection system (I have no idea how the naval radar worked IRL)? Or should I just use it periodically and turn it off all the time?
Thanks in advance!
Are you still running an S-18 class boat? That's the only one I know of that has to submerge before it's hydrophones start working.
Current System:
MSI 760GM-E51 mainboard with
AMD FX-8350 8 core processor running at 4.2 GHZ
16GB of DDR3 RAM @ 800 MHZ
AMD Radeon R9 285 GPU w 2GB of GDDR5 RAM @ 1375mhz
Acer V223W Monitor
Al Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-16, 03:35 PM   #5
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Downloads: 265
Uploads: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Lowe View Post
Are you still running an S-18 class boat? That's the only one I know of that has to submerge before it's hydrophones start working.
If he's running RSRDC, there is a bug in it that only allows the hydrophones to work when a sub is submerged. They won't work when surfaced.

As for the OP's original question; sometime in 1944 the Japanese do get radar detection capabilities.
fred8615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-16, 09:55 AM   #6
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Remember, if the enemy can detect your radar, you don't appear as a blip on a screen somewhere saying "the party is here!"

They only know that they detect a radar signal from somewhere. In the war, this often prodded the enemy into making unwarranted assumptions and doing something stupid as a result.

In his encounter with the Shinano, Commander Enright ignored all the crap about being careful about running radar. He ran the thing continuously throughout his action. Admiral Abe of the Shinano detected the radar signal, decided that meant a whole wolfpack was after him and changed his battleplan entirely.

He changed his course from one that would completely eliminate Archerfish's chance to take a single shot, slowed down and altered course directly across Enright's sights. Boom! (repeat as necessary). Scratch the biggest single target of the war.

Why? The pressure of detecting a radar signal worked decisively in Enright's favor. He knew Shinano's exact course and speed. Shinano knew there was a freakin wolfpack out there or they wouldn't be running their radar conrinuously.

Radar detectors were no help to the Japanese navy.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-16, 03:42 PM   #7
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Downloads: 265
Uploads: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Remember, if the enemy can detect your radar, you don't appear as a blip on a screen somewhere saying "the party is here!"
That may have been the way things were in real life, but in the game, not so much. DDs would always head right for me when they detected my radar.
fred8615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-16, 05:11 PM   #8
Al Lowe
Bosun

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred8615 View Post
If he's running RSRDC, there is a bug in it that only allows the hydrophones to work when a sub is submerged. They won't work when surfaced.
Really? That sucks.
Current System:
MSI 760GM-E51 mainboard with
AMD FX-8350 8 core processor running at 4.2 GHZ
16GB of DDR3 RAM @ 800 MHZ
AMD Radeon R9 285 GPU w 2GB of GDDR5 RAM @ 1375mhz
Acer V223W Monitor
Al Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote