SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-21-15, 12:51 PM   #241
Ruprecht 69
Swabbie

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0

Thanks very much indeed, I'll try this out over Christmas!
All the best
Ruprecht 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-16, 06:35 PM   #242
slipf18
Sailor man

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Orbazan, you know a version of that with English language would be a big thing! I certainly would download it. I'm going to download it anyway.

Did you know that a Soviet submarine commander was responsible for the fact that we didn't have a nuclear war during the Cuban Missile Crisis? All the leaders, all the diplomats, all the generals and admirals were reduced to nothing and a single man in a submarine determined the fate of the world with one heroic and fateful decision.
Just read up on that. It is quite interesting.

USS Growler (SS 215)
February 7, 1943
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-16, 05:28 AM   #243
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > slipf18
If you are new to SH5 look > > HERE <<
Highly Recommended SH5 > The Wolves Of Steel Mega Mod
Highly Recommended > LIVING SILENT HUNTER III EDITION 2015 Mega Mod
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-16, 03:08 PM   #244
bandit484
Medic

Downloads: 523

Im still playing SH4. For me personally its a lot more stable then SH5 ever since i tried to play Wolves of Steel on SH5 it was a nightmare and i gave up even trying to play that sim. Besides i prefer the U.S. SUBS over the German subs!
bandit484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-16, 04:51 AM   #245
meta45
Swabbie

Downloads: 160

Hello!
Én az Sh4-1.5 OpMonszun-al és TriggerMaru25.-el szeretek játszani.
Na meg az SH3-GWX a kedvencem.
Az SH5 nekem nem tetszik, tele van bug-al és nagyon "arkad", eltér a
történelmi tényektől. Kezelése fölöslegesen nehezítve.
Üdvözlettel: meta45
-

Hello!
I have Sh4-1.5 OpMonszun-al-TriggerMaru25. and I love playing it.
Now the SH3-GWX favorite.
The SH5 I do not like, is full of bugs and very al "ARKAD", different from the
from a historical fact. Managing unnecessarily more difficult.
Yours meta45

meta45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-16, 07:39 AM   #246
Gibus
Ensign

Downloads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Did you know that a Soviet submarine commander was responsible for the fact that we didn't have a nuclear war during the Cuban Missile Crisis? All the leaders, all the diplomats, all the generals and admirals were reduced to nothing and a single man in a submarine determined the fate of the world with one heroic and fateful decision.
Bonjour RR,

I did not know this fact. Can you elaborate?
Thank you.

"Pacific is a big ocean. You don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
Dick O'Kane
Gibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-16, 05:06 PM   #247
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibus View Post
I did not know this fact. Can you elaborate?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_submarine_B-59
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasili_Arkhipov
Old 04-28-16, 05:23 PM   #248
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

I haven't played in over a year, did get into it for a few patrols a few months ago and played one evening......still fun, mostly just memories of days past and it's overwhelming so I couldn't go on.........

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-16, 09:11 PM   #249
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3211

Ever I played SH4 - with mods - and it continues to be a very enjoyable experience. From the old times of SH1 I like PTO and Fleet Boats.

But also I playing SH5 with TWoS. I can secure you SH5 isn´t more the crappy incomplete buggie game of the early times. The hard work of the modders was awesome. The gameplay is a lot improved and the game have new functions - unthinkable in others SHs. I think - if you bought SH5 and have abandoned it - is a good idea to try TWoS and see the changes. It is another game.

Best regards!

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-16, 09:09 AM   #250
Gibus
Ensign

Downloads: 42

Thank you, very much.

"Pacific is a big ocean. You don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
Dick O'Kane
Gibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-16, 12:22 PM   #251
flaminus
Sparky

Downloads: 502
Uploads: 5

Hello! It's so glad to see there are still so many people like SH4.

Recently, I'm trying to come back to this game and finish a full career from 1941 to 1945. Since the last time i played sh4 is 2 years ago.

But just at the very beginning, there is a painful issue which stop me to continue, some of my sinking records always lost when i load a game.
Like this:http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=225854

Here may may i ask some experienced players for help? I don't know is this caused by some mods? Is there any way to fix this problem or we should just live with it and try not to save and load within a patrol?

Thanks in advance!
flaminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-17, 08:31 AM   #252
spccolts
Watch

Downloads: 34
Default I'm still playing

Best game I've played in a long, long time. Still haven't tried the mego mods yet. Want to finish my career first.
spccolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-17, 02:06 PM   #253
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default still playing

Still playing(with TMO and RSRD of course)after a while away due to real life and desktop went boom.Now back with a new rig, finally nearly have my install back(heavily modded, been collecting them again lol)

SH 4 out of the box, while flawed, is a great sim.With all the mods to fix bugs and improve the sim, it's amazing.I'll never forget how excited I was when my then girlfriend brought it home to me(I was laid up for several months after a serious car accident) , a submarine sim focusing on the US in the Pacific? heck yes.

After enjoying the sim but being annoyed with bugs, inaccuracies etc(did a lot of reading as well) , I found subsim. Before long I had compulsive tweaking disorder, assisted by the great community and made a few of my own mods.

Not knocking U boats, had fun in Op Monsun mod but fleetboats in PTO hold my attention more. Just wish I had the time, skill etc to finish certain projects others start such as the extra compartments for the various boats etc.

I was disappointed SH 5 went back to u boats in ATO and was rather gamey. Looks like it's come a long way but no real desire to dive into it.I still have my copy, may sell it.

I believe SH 4 is 10 years old now, still going strong.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-17, 02:46 PM   #254
Bleiente
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Ich hätte es nicht erwartet, ... aber ich liebe SH4 (späte Liebe).
Hatte früher immer über die US-Boote gespottet, daß diese nicht so tief tauchen könnten, wie sie lang wären.
Der Gedanke stimmt auch, denn deutsche Uboote hatten einen Sicherheitsfaktor von 2,5... amerikanische Uboote gerademal einen Faktor von 1,5.

Man kann feststellen, daß die deutschen Uboote von Material als auch Konstruktion überlegen waren.
Aber... das Radar (eigentlich auch eine deutsche Erfindung) verschaffte den US-Booten im Pacific den entscheidenen Vorteil.

Insgesamt war die Uboot-Waffe der Amerikaner besser aufgestellt (Dank Nimitz) und konnten so einen tatsächlich erfolgreichen Uboot-Krieg führen.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would not have expected it ... but I love SH4 (late love).
Had previously always talked about the US boats that these could not dive as deep as they would be long.
The idea is also true, because German submarines had a safety factor of 2.5 ... American submarines straight a factor of 1.5.

It can be seen that the German submarines were superior to material as well as construction.
But ... the radar (actually also a German invention) gave the US boats in the Pacific the decisive advantage.

All in all, the American submarine weapon was better placed (thanks to Nimitz) and could thus lead a really successful submarine war.
Old 04-05-17, 01:41 PM   #255
Bleiente
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
It can be seen that the German submarines were superior to material as well as construction.
Since at the time of this testimony I fell victim to the beer delusion, I must prove it in detail.

So... the German submarines were very conservative in design and derived from IWW boats, which means the design was obsolete.
However, as far as the quality of the pressure body was concerned, the technologies used were exceedingly modern and far superior to those of other nations.

This already began with the use of special steel alloys for high elongation and simultaneous hardness as well as the oxygen-free welding technique, which was used in German submarine construction from the beginning/middle of the 1930s.

Hope this explains sustainably my somewhat succinctly drowned statement in the previous post...