Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-25-18, 09:59 PM   #1
Marson
Swabbie

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0
Default I want to ask questions about periscope

When play games, a problem is found, the mouse controls the periscope, such as the periscope moving to the waterline of the ship. It is found that the mouse control periscope is difficult to fine alignment with the waterline. It is necessary to try and try many times to keep the alignment, and the mouse is not moving smoothly when controlling the periscope.
The game environment is only installed with TWOS.

Is there any problem in my link?
Marson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-18, 06:51 PM   #2
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

The sea state will have a big effect on your ability to use periscope with ease or not, but that's a factor you can switch off in the game options if you want. If you switch it off, you will have 'stabilized' optics in every sea state.

Then, you can order your WO to 'follow target' once you have locked it with the mouse. Do it if you wait for a precise bearing to the target. The only moment when periscope handling is really important is when you use the Stadimeter to get the target range, here you must be very precise, but I haven't had trouble doing it.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-18, 08:04 PM   #3
FoxtrotSix
Swabbie

Downloads: 75
Uploads: 0

I was having trouble with the periscope and the water line at first, half the time at "periscope depth" the periscope would get constantly splashed with water or submerged under waves. Now I set a custom depth of 10 meters before using the periscope.

Low enough to not get spotted and high enough to avoid getting splashed in the face all the time
FoxtrotSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-18, 07:37 AM   #4
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

You can always raise manually the scope, it's the small arrow, the double arrow will raise/lower it completely. Also be sure to use the Attack Periscope for targetting and firing, (the upper one in the conning tower). I use the observation scope only for detecting nearby planes and for that, you need absolutely to be at 0 speed for not leaving trails!.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote