SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-03-10, 01:14 AM   #391
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dignan View Post
Hope its not a problem posting in this thread four months later.
It never is a problem when you start with a disclaimer like that. It's the ones who jump right in and act like it was yesterday who get annoying.

I don't actually use this one myself, as I can never seem to grasp manual targetting, so I stay with the old standby.
Old 11-03-10, 01:56 AM   #392
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dignan View Post
1. Is the only way to send info to the TDC by manually entering data on the attack map or panel to right of scope? In other words, you can't set the AOBF to the correct settings then hit some kind of "send data to TDC" button right? I ask because it is difficult to accurately input AOB and range on those small tic-mark dials.
Well, the scope bearing is always precise. Otherwise, while this might initially seem 'unscientific' and bad, if you think about it - the general margin of error when measuring AoB, range and speed manually is much greater than the precision limitations of the instruments. As you use manual targeting, you will find that if you set up an attack correctly, what will really matter is a good ballpark estimates you can quickly adjust rather than perfect solutions, and learn to distrust these solutions when they seem a bit too perfect. This is because once you get in the flow of this mod, you will learn that the real solutions should always be in your head. And that half the solution has nothing to do with the TDC - it's how you position yourself. There are always tricks you can play and parts to solutions you don't even need - the fact is that manual TDC allows for a lot of flexibility and variety in methods and approaches, and it's that flexibility that is what you really want, not super-accurate dials. And I say that having managed some bloody impressive shots with this after some practice

Quote:
2. Did we lose the ability to adjust periscope height with your mod?
Not at all. You can still do it with the usual keys.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-10, 05:00 AM   #393
Forensicman101
Gunner

Downloads: 79
Uploads: 0

This is an excellent addtion to SH4 ATO mods. Two questions:

1) Is there an version with English labels to the dials?

2) On my computer the target ship name is obscured by the menu bar at the bottom of the screen. I've tried resolutions of 1366 x 768 (683:384) and 1366 x 1024 (85:64), but I get the same problem. The target ship name appears to be quite low down in the black area at the bottom of the periscope circle. Is there any way that I could edit this to raise the target ship name upwards by a line?
Forensicman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-10, 07:50 AM   #394
Dignan
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 262

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCIP View Post
Well, the scope bearing is always precise. Otherwise, while this might initially seem 'unscientific' and bad, if you think about it - the general margin of error when measuring AoB, range and speed manually is much greater than the precision limitations of the instruments. As you use manual targeting, you will find that if you set up an attack correctly, what will really matter is a good ballpark estimates you can quickly adjust rather than perfect solutions, and learn to distrust these solutions when they seem a bit too perfect. This is because once you get in the flow of this mod, you will learn that the real solutions should always be in your head. And that half the solution has nothing to do with the TDC - it's how you position yourself. There are always tricks you can play and parts to solutions you don't even need - the fact is that manual TDC allows for a lot of flexibility and variety in methods and approaches, and it's that flexibility that is what you really want, not super-accurate dials. And I say that having managed some bloody impressive shots with this after some practice

Not at all. You can still do it with the usual keys.

Ah yes, the periscope key commands. Forgot about that. Thanks. I really like the ability to "fine tune" periscope exposure in a uboat. Can't do that in a Fleet boat.

So complete accurate entering of data in the TDC is not possible. I seem to have medium to good success so far using the dials on the attack map. I just find myself wishing I could enter in the exact range. I'll keep working at it until I get fully comfortable. Thanks for the response.

Forensicman. OP MONSUN OMEGA Patch 7 has a file that changes the dial labels to english.

I use 1440xsomething resolution and my scope view seems fine. Try different ones until you find one that looks right.
Dignan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-10, 07:07 AM   #395
Forensicman101
Gunner

Downloads: 79

Many thanks for telling me about the OMEGU v7 patch, I only had the v6 patch. The english language version of the interface is a great help. I particularly like not having to alternate between the periscope view and the attack screen in order to establish my torpedo settings. I've now put Lurker's FileFront page down as a "favourite".
Forensicman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-10, 12:42 PM   #396
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Greetings Gents! Automatic determination of target speed is completely inaccessible with this masterpiece mod?Can someone confirm this for me?Tnx...
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-10, 04:45 PM   #397
MaddogK
XO

Downloads: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Greetings Gents! Automatic determination of target speed is completely inaccessible with this masterpiece mod?Can someone confirm this for me?Tnx...
Works as advertised. The panel may be hidden, just click near the right edge of the screen in the TDC panel, and periscope stations - the panel should 'unhide' (same for the left side panel). The target speed gauge is the top/left on the right side panel, and only works accurately when the target is locked.

MaddogK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-10, 02:15 AM   #398
goose814
A-ganger

Downloads: 582

I'm not sure where this belongs. I already posted this on the OMEGU v300 thread but think it might belong here. Anyway, I just installed this and all seems to be well except the attack periscope doesn't have a position indicator designating its height location anymore. The observation periscope still does. Is this normal for this mod or is something amiss? Thanks for any help.

Activated Mods:
OpsMonsun_V705
OMv705_to_V720
OMv720_Patch5
OMEGU_v300
goose814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-11, 01:18 AM   #399
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Kiub tutorial

I am studying the Kiub User Guide which explains the mod. The pictures in the guide are a little small, plus it is not easy to follow as some points. But it is full of information. This UBoat mod looks tougher to figure out than manual targeting in SH4 v1.5 with the Easy Aob mod activated.

Are there any good tutorials, or videos? I could use some help.

(I deleted my previous post re not being able to load the mod. If figured it out before anyone responded. It looks quite interesting if I could figure it out.)
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-11, 11:42 AM   #400
Wilcke
The Old Man

Downloads: 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose814 View Post
I'm not sure where this belongs. I already posted this on the OMEGU v300 thread but think it might belong here. Anyway, I just installed this and all seems to be well except the attack periscope doesn't have a position indicator designating its height location anymore. The observation periscope still does. Is this normal for this mod or is something amiss? Thanks for any help.

Activated Mods:
OpsMonsun_V705
OMv705_to_V720
OMv720_Patch5
OMEGU_v300

Its normal!

For the best in Fleet Boats go to: Submarine Sim Central. http://forum.kickinbak.com/index.php
Check out: A Brief Introduction to the Pacific Submarine War by Ducimus
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=128185
Operation Monsun plus OMEGU, the #1 ATO Solution for SH4!

Signature Art by Gunfighter
Wilcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-11, 04:02 AM   #401
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default question re interface and sub school mission

I am working on the sub school mission. I have activated the Kiub mod and the English mod. I just discovered that the mast height is given in feet and the target's length is given in meters. The outer dial on the AobF wheel measures in meters I believe. If this is correct then the mast height (in feet) must be converted to meters to get the range. Do I have this right? My range mesurement have bee off, but they are not as far off when I convert the mast height to meters in the sub school mission.
Old 01-30-11, 02:10 PM   #402
Wilcke
The Old Man

Downloads: 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down View Post
I am working on the sub school mission. I have activated the Kiub mod and the English mod. I just discovered that the mast height is given in feet and the target's length is given in meters. The outer dial on the AobF wheel measures in meters I believe. If this is correct then the mast height (in feet) must be converted to meters to get the range. Do I have this right? My range mesurement have bee off, but they are not as far off when I convert the mast height to meters in the sub school mission.
According to KiUB manual it is all in meters. My recog manual indicates meters for all values.

For the best in Fleet Boats go to: Submarine Sim Central. http://forum.kickinbak.com/index.php
Check out: A Brief Introduction to the Pacific Submarine War by Ducimus
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=128185
Operation Monsun plus OMEGU, the #1 ATO Solution for SH4!

Signature Art by Gunfighter
Wilcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-11, 03:11 PM   #403
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default wilcke

In the Practice Mission for the mod, I was first ordered to attack an anchored target. I rechecked today and the mast height for that target is stated in feet. (Maybe this is only so in the Practice Mission?) I converted feet it to meters, and finally, the range (2,450 meters) matched the range that I plotted on the Attack Map. I input Aob to the TDC. I fired a spread of three torpedoes at 2,500 meters, and the first torpedo his the target amidships (yea!) and the other two bracketed the target on both sides. () I was quite satisfied with myself!

Now I am rewatching the tutorials that you directed me to. I understand how to use the AOBF wheel to compute speed. The second one is a couple minutes in length and is designed specifically for the ATO mod. It does not go into how to track and intercept the target. The first video tutorial is designed for SH3 I think, but the techniques are the same, only the periscope screen and the method of issuing commands appear different. It is a much longer video. The portion of KIUB Users Guide (written tutorial) re intercepting targets is too difficult for me to follow, but I am pretty sure that subject is well covered in the second video.

I have spent a lot of time getting familiar with the dials, and once I solve the interception methods, I think I can finish the submarine school tutorial which has directed me, now that I sunk the stationary target, to find and sink a moving target.

This mod looks really interesting. Again, you have really helped me out. Without the tutorials, I would not have a chance to become proficient with the mod.

Last edited by I'm goin' down; 01-30-11 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-25-11, 08:40 AM   #404
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Downloads: 151

Hey guys, back from a 6 month Atlantic voyage. I guess I'll have to roll up my sleeves and make a tutorial video. Should be a great help even for those playing SH5, as I see the interface in SH5 has also picked up some pace thanks to busy modders Great to be back again and a big thanks for all still playing SH4 with OMEGU
karamazovnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-11, 10:13 AM   #405
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default sheesh

I have been waiting for you to return. I am trying to figure out the UBoat challenge, but need some questions answered. I am looking forward to a tutorial. I had trouble in the sub school practice mission going after the moving target. I am familiar with the American version of 1.5, and can handle all aspects of manual targeting on a US sub. But the UBoats have me stumped. Also, I had some questions on the written tutorial which I posted in this forum.

Last edited by I'm goin' down; 02-25-11 at 01:09 PM.