Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-22-18, 01:42 PM   #1
Jan021981
Nub

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0
Default Overclocking engines

Hi,

is there any way to overclock engines in Wolfes os Steel? Im in a parallel course with a convoy containing two huge battleships running 18 knt - my maximum speed. Telling my "Motor Engineer" to overcharge the diesel engines, he tells me, he can't do it right now. I can't get in front of them. Is there a patch or a posibility to shortly overclock your engines because, I have to shoote them :-)

Thanks, Jan

Last edited by Jan021981; 07-22-18 at 02:16 PM.
Jan021981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-18, 08:12 PM   #2
FoxtrotSix
Swabbie

Downloads: 75

I've had the same situation a couple times now and I found that the best way to catch something fast is to let it see you. When enemy ships spot you they will start doing a zig-zag pattern to avoid torpedoes, which slows them down quite a bit. So sometimes I will let them spot me and then dive if any deck guns start getting close shots

Buuuut I can usually only get a couple ships out of a convoy with that method, but sometimes its possible to hunt down most of the ships one by one after the convoy scatters
FoxtrotSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-18, 03:06 AM   #3
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi Jan
Realistically you could not run the boats engines at high speed for hours at a time without the risk of causing serious damage.
Flank speed would be used only in times of emergency as it would use large amounts of fuel.
Running at maximum speed in SH5 you can get away with in SH3 with the HSIE Damage diesel engine patch you would not as seen below.

21. Diesel Damages Fix
With this Fix you risk random diesel damages if you agonize your diesels with maximum speed. The maximum possible machine telegraph value of 1.0 (see U-boats.cfg file for details) will now be interpreted as OVERLOAD of the diesels in order to get maximum speed out of them. If you order to overload your diesels, the LI will acknowledge "Alles was drin ist...." or "everything we've got!"
Used Shortcuts and colours
• MTS: Machine Telegraph speed. 0.0=stop and 1.0=max. See U-boats .cfg file.

• T50: Timespan that corresponds with a damage probability of 50%
RED: Non-safe operation of diesels. High risk of damage.
YELLOW: Halfway safe operation of diesels. Low risk of damage.
GREEN: Safe operation no risk of damage.

a) Normal conditions (no diesel damaged):
MTS = 1.0: T50 = 1 hour (OVERLOAD)
MTS ≤ 0.97: Safe. No damage will occur.
If a random damage occurs, this should be interpreted as a warning. Thus, the LI warns you to reduce your speed, because otherwise you risk a total loss of the diesel. As long as the diesel isn't completely repaired, the chance of successive damages dramatically rises, if you don't reduce your speed to safe values (see below). Under normal conditions (no diesel damaged so far), the amount of the applied damage is randomly chosen between 1% and 60% (thus, an undamaged diesel will never be destroyed).
b) One damaged diesel:
MTS = 1.00: T50 = 15 min. (OVERLOAD)
MTS = 0.95: T50 = 40 min.
MTS = 0.90: T50 = 2 hours
MTS = 0.80: T50 = 20 hours
MTS ≤ 0.70: safe
c) Two damaged diesels:
MTS = 1.00: T50 = 4 min. (OVERLOAD)
MTS = 0.90: T50 = 10 min.
MTS = 0.80: T50 = 30 min.
MTS = 0.70: T50 = 2 hours
MTS = 0.60: T50 = 10 hours
MTS = 0.50: T50 = 60 hours
MTS ≤ 0.40: safe
Under damaged diesel conditions b) or c), the amount of the added damage is randomly chosen between 30% and 100%, thus a damaged diesel can completely be destroyed. If you want to use your FLANK slot on the machine telegraph for overload (as I will do), just use normal values of your supermod, no changes are necessary:
• FLANK = 1.0
• FULL = 0.95
• STD = 0.8
If you DON'T want to use your FLANK slot on the machine telegraph for overload, you can use the following values:
• FLANK = 0.95
• FULL = 0.90
• STD = 0.8
and activate diesel overload by setting speed to maximum on the knots dial.

In basic terms TwoS is based on realism where possible and there is a much in it for both the realistic player and those who want a more fun type game but not for the arcade type player.
As a Captain you have to make decisions that are achievable and worthwhile not only to your crew but also your boat.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-18, 07:47 AM   #4
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

I don't know, it's just an idea, but what happens if you assing your earned Renown Points to distribute to the engine's guy? It may increase the speed results of his work.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-18, 11:23 AM   #5
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi XS
You were on the right track regarding overclocking the diesel engines.

Vecko has removed from TWoS overclocking the electric engines.

Abilities activated.
Can be used 2 times not known how long between each activation.

Confirmed here.

Redlining engines are now running faster as can be heard by the noise from here and the push rods going up and down like the clappers.
Active icon showing.

Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote